Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tailgate struts

Art6133

Hello all, I've noticed both gas struts on my rear door/boot are fairly corroded, plus I've noticed the door doesn't come up as far as it should without a bit of help. Trawling the internet, there's a huge range of different makes from £7 each up to £50 each. Does anyone out there have any recommendations or advice? The old buy cheap buy twice comes to mind with some of the less expensive units. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Hi. This happened to mine a few years back, they didnt get rusty just lost their strength.  Toyota replaced them under warranty. I'd recommend finding out how much the originals are from Toyota initially and weigh it up from there. eBay will be a good place to look too.

Thanks, have tried to source genuine toyota parts but the dealers/parts departments are all closed, tried toyota on line without success. Ive found a pair on e bay for £26 plus free delivery so may have a punt on those.

9 hours ago, Art6133 said:

Thanks, have tried to source genuine toyota parts but the dealers/parts departments are all closed, tried toyota on line without success. Ive found a pair on e bay for £26 plus free delivery so may have a punt on those.

Hi Art6133,

Any chance of you letting us know how you got on and the supplier if any good.

regards Chris

Will do Chris but in the current climate its impossible to talk to anyone regarding compatability issues. 

A quick look on the epc shows 3 part numbers for each side

08-14

LH 68960-0W570

RH 68950-0W580

12-14

LH 68960-0W551

RH 68950-0W561

Edit. Both the struts cross ref to 1 part number - so they are identical each side

• DOGA: 2037753
  • KILEN: 464071
  • LESJÖFORS: 8192571
  • MAGNETI MARELLI: 430719113200
  • MONROE: ML6133
  • OPTIMAL: AG-40435
  • PATRON: PGS463425
  • STABILUS: 027117
  • TRISCAN: 8710 13277

Have just fitted a pair of Ridex struts, £34 including delivery from buycarparts.co.uk. The fastening clips are a pain but the boot now opens fully.

Thanks for all the replies

Thanks for the recommendation.

What do you mean by the 'fastening clips are a pain'?  I have looked at the struts and assume you have to lever them off the mounting brackets.  How did you swop the struts out?

Many thanks.

They are sprung steel and can ping off if not careful, a small flat blade screwdriver does the trick tho