Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can't get accurate oil level reading on dipstick Auris

Jason 2020

Hi guys, it's me again, I should have posted this when I first got the car 4 months ago lol.

What it is , for some strange reason every time I wipe the dipstick and check the oil I seem to get oil half way up the dipstick, it seems like the dipstick is slightly too big for the hole.

Any suggestions on what to do? I've Googled this problem, and it happens on a couple of car models but can't get a gud solution.

I've tried checking it twice after 15 minutes then waiting half hour more to see if more oil drains more but not much difference

Cheers

Hi Jason, Hm...I have something similar but different model. As a work around I do the following. After driving, park up and wait for oil to drain to the pan. Then check the oil but only once as any later attempts mark the dipstick with oil half way through which gives a wrong reading. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

I have the same happening to me often. I think it's the bend in the dipstick tube.

Try measuring when cold, not after driving. Usually worked for me.

• Thanks 1

If the level looks too high every time, could it be overfilled?

Hope not lol, it's been almost the same reading since I bought it 4 months ago , so I presume if it had been overfilled I would have either broke down or a warning light come on.

Mind you, when I say half way up the dipstick, not all areas are covered in oil, if that makes sense.

Cheers

Overfilling would not cause an instant breakdown nor warning light. What most likely happens is that the dipstick tube / channel gets oil on when you remove the dipstick and any attempts later on give false reading.