Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota yaris hybrid 2015 issue

Irshad04

I would suspect the fuel pump/relay (that may explain the grinding vibration sound) try an active test in techstream

What voltage does the 12V read with techstream

I would say the clue is in the last image "Poor engine power". I'm pretty sure that a poor 12v Battery would not cause that on its own. Especially since you said that when you effectively "reset" the system (by removing the 12v Battery and reconnecting) and then got the "Ready" light up. Forgive me Irshad but you need to be a bit more precise in your descriptions... When you say "I start the car it tries to start but then dies after a few seconds.", what does "it" refer to? The actual ICE? When you start a Hybrid, initially it is silent and the ICE is idle until all the checks are done. Did you mean that after a time, the ICE attempts to start but doesn't? or, do you mean that the whole system shuts down? There's a difference...

What "grinding sound"? Didn't see that mentioned?

If the Battery is low it will have problems  pulling in the contactor and holding it

Post above edited for clarity

Indeed which is why I asked if the actual ICE attempted to start properly...

...but the fact that he can actually get a ready light suggests that it is feeding 12v or above

Correct me if I am wrong but without a stable 12V feed, the main contactor will not stay shut and hence the Ready light will not stay on?

If its in ready mode turning on the ac and lights will get the engine to fire, re. Devon's post poor fuel or a bad pump/relay will likely cause it not to fire

6 minutes ago, flash22 said:

If its in ready mode turning on the ac and lights will get the engine to fire, re. Devon's post poor fuel or a bad pump/relay will likely cause it not to fire

Agreed... Devon's spot on I think...

symptom

10 minutes ago, CPN said:

Correct me if I am wrong but without a stable 12V feed, the main contactor will not stay shut and hence the Ready light will not stay on?

Yes, looking at the pending code P1390, and current codes P0A0F, C1241, C1259, C1310, C2124 (C codes are likely just a symptom)

the OP needs to run some active tests

28 minutes ago, flash22 said:

symptom

Yes, looking at the pending code P1390, and current codes P0A0F, C1241, C1259, C1310, C2124 (C codes are likely just a symptom)

the OP needs to run some active tests

Hi,

How do I run the active tests? Also where can I locate the fuel pump/relay?

3 hours ago, Irshad04 said:

Hi,

I have ran the check on the vehicle and this is what I got;

Please find the attached images.

I removed the 12v battery and put it back and all the light went off, the engine light and the hybrid light all gone and the ready light came on.

when I start the car it tries to start but then dies after a few seconds. Could it be the 12v battery due to the codes shown in the images.

Regrads

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

As mentioned above P3190 is the main code and you are going to need access to Techdoc HERE to follow a lengthy diag process ( note access is chargeable by day, week etc but content can be saved )

DTC No.

DTC Detection Condition

Trouble Area

P3190

Following conditions continue at a fixed engine speed or a fixed length of time (1 trip detection logic):

• Communication with hybrid vehicle control ECU is normal

• Engine speed is a fixed value or more

• Engine start mode is not active

• Target torque is a fixed value

• Ratio of estimated torque against target torque is less than 20%

• Intake system

• Throttle body with motor assembly

• Fuel system

• Engine

• Mass air flow meter

• Out of fuel

• Engine coolant temperature sensor

• Crankshaft position sensor

• Camshaft position sensor

• EGR valve assembly

• ECM

P0A0F has multiple variations and is actually a 7 digit DTC P0A0F-### based on the three digit INF, the Data list on Techstream will list the INF code.

Tip:

• The hybrid vehicle control ECU stores DTC P0A0F-204, 205, 206, 524 or 525 when it receives a signal from the ECM indicating abnormal engine power, engine starting malfunction, engine performance deterioration (running out of fuel), crank angle sensor circuit DTCs or cam position sensor circuit DTCs.

• If the engine cannot start, the vehicle is driven using EV drive mode. However, if the vehicle is continuously driven using only EV drive mode, the HV Battery will be discharged and the vehicle will not be able to be driven.

• If any of these DTCs are output, it is required to repair the EFI system in accordance with the DTC or to add a sufficient amount of fuel

Tip:

• When SFI system related DTCs are output, the hybrid vehicle control ECU stores DTCs P0A0F-204, 205, 206, 524 or 525.

• If DTC P0A0F-524 is output, clear the DTCs, perform the following procedure, and check that the same DTC is not output after the repair.

1. With the vehicle and engine stopped, the ignition switch to ON (READY) and the shift lever in P, depress the accelerator pedal to start the engine.

2. Keep the engine running for 5 seconds or more.

• If DTC P0A0F-525 is output, clear the DTCs, perform the following procedure, and check that the same DTC is not output after the repair.

1. With the vehicle and engine stopped, the ignition switch to ON (READY) and the shift lever in P, depress the accelerator pedal to start the engine.

DTC No.

INF Code

DTC Detection Condition

Trouble Area

P0A0F

Signal indicating abnormality is received from the ECM (abnormal engine output)

Actual engine torque is very low compared to the target torque.

(1 trip detection logic)

SFI system

Signal indicating abnormality is received from the ECM (engine unable to start)

(1 trip detection logic)

Signal indicating abnormality is received from the ECM (engine component malfunctioning, drop in torque)

(1 trip detection logic)

Signal indicating abnormality is received from the ECM (abnormal NE signal)

(1 trip detection logic)

Signal indicating abnormality is received from the ECM (abnormal GI signal)

(1 trip detection logic)

1 hour ago, Devon Aygo said:

As mentioned above P3190 is the main code and you are going to need access to Techdoc HERE to follow a lengthy diag process ( note access is chargeable by day, week etc but content can be saved )

DTC No.

DTC Detection Condition

Trouble Area

P3190

Following conditions continue at a fixed engine speed or a fixed length of time (1 trip detection logic):

• Communication with hybrid vehicle control ECU is normal

• Engine speed is a fixed value or more

• Engine start mode is not active

• Target torque is a fixed value

• Ratio of estimated torque against target torque is less than 20%

• Intake system

• Throttle body with motor assembly

• Fuel system

• Engine

• Mass air flow meter

• Out of fuel

• Engine coolant temperature sensor

• Crankshaft position sensor

• Camshaft position sensor

• EGR valve assembly

• ECM

P0A0F has multiple variations and is actually a 7 digit DTC P0A0F-### based on the three digit INF, the Data list on Techstream will list the INF code.

Tip:

• The hybrid vehicle control ECU stores DTC P0A0F-204, 205, 206, 524 or 525 when it receives a signal from the ECM indicating abnormal engine power, engine starting malfunction, engine performance deterioration (running out of fuel), crank angle sensor circuit DTCs or cam position sensor circuit DTCs.

• If the engine cannot start, the vehicle is driven using EV drive mode. However, if the vehicle is continuously driven using only EV drive mode, the HV battery will be discharged and the vehicle will not be able to be driven.

• If any of these DTCs are output, it is required to repair the EFI system in accordance with the DTC or to add a sufficient amount of fuel

Tip:

• When SFI system related DTCs are output, the hybrid vehicle control ECU stores DTCs P0A0F-204, 205, 206, 524 or 525.

• If DTC P0A0F-524 is output, clear the DTCs, perform the following procedure, and check that the same DTC is not output after the repair.

• If DTC P0A0F-525 is output, clear the DTCs, perform the following procedure, and check that the same DTC is not output after the repair.

DTC No.

INF Code

DTC Detection Condition

Trouble Area

P0A0F

Signal indicating abnormality is received from the ECM (abnormal engine output)

Actual engine torque is very low compared to the target torque.

(1 trip detection logic)

SFI system

Signal indicating abnormality is received from the ECM (engine unable to start)

(1 trip detection logic)

Signal indicating abnormality is received from the ECM (engine component malfunctioning, drop in torque)

(1 trip detection logic)

Signal indicating abnormality is received from the ECM (abnormal NE signal)

(1 trip detection logic)

Signal indicating abnormality is received from the ECM (abnormal GI signal)

(1 trip detection logic)

I think it is this “

• If the engine cannot start, the vehicle is driven using EV drive mode. However, if the vehicle is continuously driven using only EV drive mode, the HV Battery will be discharged and the vehicle will not be able to be driven.”

When I try to start the car it sound like the engine try to start as it makes this noise but then it stops by itself. I will try and make a video and that would help as its not easy to explain it.

regrads

Left hand menu iirc its under utility, fuel relay is in the main fuse box under the bonnet

Pull a fuel sample

Will the car move under the electric motor ?

4 hours ago, flash22 said:

Left hand menu iirc its under utility, fuel relay is in the main fuse box under the bonnet

Pull a fuel sample

Hi,

Thanks for your message, I will have a check tomorrow due it raining today.

I did some research online to see if I could explain the issue and this is what happens it is similar to what happen but mine tries to start it last for about 8 seconds.

https://priuschat.com/threads/starts-then-dies.47478/

https://priuschat.com/threads/06-prius-engine-starts-then-dies.172663/

On 4/30/2020 at 11:12 AM, flash22 said:

Pull a fuel sample

I can’t find it in techstream in order to run the test.

i get health check and then the report comes up but no utilities. It is the latest version.

It won’t move as it turns off in 8 seconds after the engine starts. I will upload a video in a while to show.

if I put the new 12v Battery the engine light turn off and the ready light turns on and the car automatically start by itself and dies within 8 seconds. During those 8 seconds it smell like petrol at the back of the vehicle before it turns it off

8F3E43CA-0963-4D0B-BE34-6EBC74812548.jpeg

1 hour ago, Irshad04 said:

I can’t find it in techstream in order to run the test.

i get health check and then the report comes up but no utilities. It is the latest version.

It won’t move as it turns off in 8 seconds after the engine starts. I will upload a video in a while to show.

if I put the new 12v battery the engine light turn off and the ready light turns on and the car automatically start by itself and dies within 8 seconds. During those 8 seconds it smell like petrol at the back of the vehicle before it turns it off

8F3E43CA-0963-4D0B-BE34-6EBC74812548.jpeg

Hi,

Here is the video. So the car automatically start without me having to press the brake or start button.

Regrads

I've never seen that image before on the Infotainment screen between 16-20 seconds on the video? It looks as if something is up/downloading?

15 minutes ago, CPN said:

I've never seen that image before on the Infotainment screen between 16-20 seconds on the video? It looks as if something is up/downloading?

That only appear as I have disconnected the 12v Battery and reconnected it.

I have taken the spark plug off and posted an image below.

008DF603-69D1-42D3-BD9E-ADDAB1060345.jpeg

Those plugs look fine. Did you check what the module voltages of the HV Battery are with Techstream? (there's 10 in the Yaris and each module should be 16-17v if in reasonable condition) The overall pack voltage should be somewhere around 160-170v. (edit: running and at max charge)

click on, engine and ect it should be on the left

eg.

TECHSTREAM-TIS-Software-1.thumb.png.6d0c71594698a6650c706041b38e02bb.png

Do you have internet access where the car is ?

2 hours ago, CPN said:

Those plugs look fine. Did you check what the module voltages of the HV battery are with Techstream? (there's 10 in the Yaris and each module should be 16-17v if in reasonable condition) The overall pack voltage should be somewhere around 160-170v.

Hi,

Did you check what the module voltages of the HV Battery are with Techstream?

I haven’t checked it as I don’t know how to. Any steps on how to do it?

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

click on, engine and ect it should be on the left

eg.

TECHSTREAM-TIS-Software-1.thumb.png.6d0c71594698a6650c706041b38e02bb.png

I have internet access where the car is. Literally parked outside my house.

Do I click data list or active test?

i tried active test but didn’t know what to select.

Also I ran another test and another error came up. The error was p3000 Battery control system. The previous 2 error went and this error came.

i am based in East Ham if anyone is local and wish’s to check it out.

Also I think the hybrid Battery is dead. Is there any way to charge it as @Devon Aygo suggested by using a special hybrid charger?

Regards

Looks like it, if you haven’t wrongly refuelled then the traction Battery most likely is too low, these cars don’t go wrong unless something wrong it’s done to them . Your best bet is Toyota dealer. Try to find someone who has a NHS Card that he/she works within the NHS and ask to help, some dealers are open and they do service for nhs key worker’s cars. 
Good luck