Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knocking Noise

GrahamC1234

Hello everyone hoping you can help me out. My 2007 1.4 Auris which i really like is making a knocking noise every time I slow down (1 knock) or take off ( 1 knock) been doing this for months. It has not got any worse or better I have looked at it and mechanic looked at it and can't figure out what it is drive shafts look good. 

Any ideas ?? 

Hi, there maybe many things that can cause similar knocks/ clicks, my one does it too but I can’t find the reason either and so will leave it like that till something becomes more obvious, of course with regular checks for safety. One possible thing is the stabiliser bar links, if they have excessive play they can cause that or brake pads. Not to worry too much, and if the links are worn out easy replacement, they are relatively cheap too. 
Regards 

Thanks Tony, anyone have this issue and solve it ? 

Make sure there is nothing loose in the boot/spare wheel well

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

Make sure there is nothing loose in the boot/spare wheel well

Many years ago my wife took my car to a garage as there was a terrible knock each time she took a sharp turn. Mechanic saw nothing untoward. When I met her at home I took the skateboard out of the boot 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks I checked, nothing loose unfortunately think this might be a drive, gearbox or clutch issue.

Another thing that sprang to mind is a loose engine mount. Had a thunking sound on my Leon on start and stop due to the dogbone mount that had worked loose.

• Like 1

I would be double checking the drive shafts for radial play, and also the bottom ball joint

check your wheel bearings,

jack the car up and turn the wheels manually, and feel whether there is any slack or cracking noise

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2020 at 6:33 PM, GrahamC1234 said:

Hello everyone hoping you can help me out. My 2007 1.4 Auris which i really like is making a knocking noise every time I slow down (1 knock) or take off ( 1 knock) been doing this for months. It has not got any worse or better I have looked at it and mechanic looked at it and can't figure out what it is drive shafts look good. 

Any ideas ?? 

I have something like that in the rear passenger side wheel - i think it's brake caliper. Every time i press the brake and come to a complete stop I hear a kind of knock/thud when i set off/go in reverse.

check the lower suspension arms

if the bushes are worn there will be side to side movement in the arm

if they are worn to excess the arm can hit the mounting giving you the knock,

Thanks everyone I'm going to have a look at it again this weekend try figure it out once and for all. Could it be something in gearbox ?

• 9 months later...

Probably it is stabilizer bar bushing or links. If it is only when left  and right wheel not in flat surface like in rough road. Shocks usually wont have knowcking noise, but squeaky noise from the bumb stops