Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

CVT gear shifter

mflorant

Hi,

Did someone faced the same:

Since I bought the car in November CVT gear shifter is difficult to switch from N to R or D or any gear. My previous off topic car had a softer gear switching feel.

Is it common or is there any trick to make the movement a little bit softer?

Like putting any grease or WD40 under the cover etc. These are just thoughts...

Thank you

WD40 is not a lubricant. It will wash existing lubricants away. Use as a lubricant is possible, but it won't last long. It will clean crud from assemblies to make them move more freely, but then you need to use a proper lubricant oil or grease to maintain them.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, paul9 said:

WD40 is not a lubricant. It will wash existing lubricants away. Use as a lubricant is possible, but it won't last long. It will clean crud from assemblies to make them move more freely, but then you need to use a proper lubricant oil or grease to maintain them.

Yes Paul 9 is correct, a lot of people are under the misconception that WD40 is a lubricant. It’s lub quality is short lived. It’s a cleansing, water dispelling and penetrating agent which has many uses.

I do not know if the CVT has the same connection at the gearbox end of the change cable as the earlier T25 but if it has a ball joint connector like the T25 ( I do not see why it would be very different) then the ball joint at the cable end can become stiff and lubricating will help ease the action.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, sproutdreamer said:

I do not know if the CVT has the same connection at the gearbox end of the change cable as the earlier T25 but if it has a ball joint connector like the T25 ( I do not see why it would be very different) then the ball joint at the cable end can become stiff and lubricating will help ease the action.

Should I try inside the car or where the cable connects the gearbox?

Mine was stiff at the ball joint where the cable operates the short lever at the gearbox. This is quite exposed to the weather and the most likely place to seize up so I would start there and only if that does not work look inside the car, You do not have to dismantle anything to lubricate it, just fill a small container 50/100ml with oil, oil/parrafin etc and dip the ball joint into it alternatvely spray with penetrating oil NOT WD40. Good luck with it.

• Thanks 1

WD40 would usually be okay to spray on to loosen it up, but then it would need something like white lithium grease afterwards.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links