Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

EML problem

Terrell

Hi there 

I’m new to the Toyota club as I’ve just turned 17 and bought one as my first car.

Ive got a bit of a problem as I bought it as a fixer upper as I’m training to be a mechanic at college.

It had a few problems, needed new exhaust, which was easily fixed, but I can’t shift the P0016 code, I’ve worked my way through new filters, new oil, new camshaft sensor, new crankshaft sensor, even new spark plugs, now I’m heading towards changing the oil control valve and the tiny filter, as they were dirty.

But I can’t seem to find anywhere that sells the tiny filter and due to current circumstances I can’t go to my local Toyota dealer to ask what it’s called or part number, does anyone have any idea please as I’m hoping I don’t have to change my timing chain.

many thanks

1.0 ? P0016 is cam crank correlation, The mesh is part of the control valve you just replace the whole valve

it sounds like you are just aiming the parts cannon at the car and see what sticks rather than diagnosing the issue

Was the engine full of sludge ? or neglected ? Pull the cam cover and have a look that will tell you the condition of the engine, the vvti phaser are prone to failing if regular oil changes are not performed

Clean the mesh and the oil control valve, both can be done easily. The mesh is something plastic so don't be too harsh on it.

Ref the p0016, it is indeed a correlation error, in VVTi engines it is usually due to the tiny mesh being blocked OR the VVTi cam phaser / pulley getting stuck due to sludge in engine. One of the ways to go about it is use a nice synthetic engine oil and run your car like you stole it for atleast 30-40 minutes. If that doesn't work or its not possible for you then the only way to correct it is to remove the camshafts, remove the vvti phaser pulley and service  / clean the pulley. It can also be dismantled but you have to be careful. What we do is mostly dip them in a degreaser or kerosene for about 2 hours then air flush the heck out of them.

Thank you for the reply’s imageproxy.php?img=&key=567b4e06530f0081

Sorry it’s a 1.3, yes I have sort of just gone replace each thing as I go working my way up to the more expensive harder jobs, but I have taken it to 2 garages first and asked what they would do, and I’ve done what they suggested.

The oil was not great when I emptied it, so I assuming it was neglected rather than ignored. I have already taken the top off of it and the timing notches are lined up, and doesn’t look sludgy or anything.

I tried uploading a photo if anyone wanted to see the little filter but it’s not doing sorry.

Edited by Terrell
Photo not uploaded

resize your pictures it will then upload to the forum

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links