Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car On Drive

Ali123

I have a Yaris Hybrid and since the lockdown it's not moved or been started.

Will it be ok left or should I be starting it and let the engine run for a while?

Or will it be ok just to stand.

I'm new on here so not sure this is the right place to post.

Thank you

There’s plenty of advice on the various Forum categories that have Hybrid models. Have a look and see what they say. I run my car in our car park for about 20 minutes a week and it’s been OK so far. 
You defiantly need to make sure the small 12v Battery is not discharged or the car won’t start. There is always some small load taken from Battery when car is parked and this will eventually discharge Battery.

JBG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

See 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Firstly, I hope you and your family are all keeping safe and well during this difficult time.

As you will be aware, in accordance with Government advice, our dealerships are currently only offering cover for key workers, as we focus on ensuring the safety of our customers and staff. This naturally means that we’re not able to provide our usual vehicle maintenance services, so I thought it may be useful to provide a few tips on ensuring your car remains in tip-top condition during this extended period of lockdown.

Many of you will not be using your car as much as usual, or may not wish to, but are wondering how to maintain it whilst it is not being driven on a regular basis, so here are a few simple tips to keep your car in top condition and ready to use when you need it again:

Fuel – before parking your car up for a long period, it’s a good idea to top up with fuel. Not only will this help with other measures, but a full tank doesn't attract condensation, which could cause issues if allowed to build up over time.

Parking location – if your vehicle is parked outside, avoid leaving it under a tree, as drips of sap can damage the paintwork and it helps avoid bird droppings, which again, are very destructive to the paint. Also, try and park it on a hard surface, as moisture from grass or dirt can affect the underside of the car. You should wash off any bird droppings as soon as possible.

Battery maintenance – if you are still using the car fairly regularly, eg: to do your weekly shop, it will be fine. However, If you are not going to use the car for a period of 10-days to 2 weeks, then it is advisable to either connect your car's battery to a mains-powered battery charger, or start the engine once a week and allow it to run for about 15 minutes. This will re-charge the battery and help keep the engine in good condition. It’s important to allow the engine to run for at least 15 minutes so the battery can charge properly.

But please note: NEVER leave your car unattended with the engine running.

Hybrid vehicles – in addition to the hybrid battery that drives the car our hybrids have the same 12-volt battery as conventional vehicles - simply press the start button, so the ready light comes on, and allow to run for 15 minutes. This will keep the conventional battery topped up – the hybrid battery requires no maintenance and will be ready when you need it.

Brakes – sometimes when a car is parked up for a long period with the parking brake on, the brakes can seize. To prevent this, it's good practice to release the parking brake and move the vehicle a short distance back and forth, at the same time as running the engine. You shouldn’t leave the parking brake off unless the vehicle is on private land with the wheels secured safely in position.

Tyres – before driving the car after a long period parked up, check all of the tyre pressures and inflate if needed.

Garages  NEVER run a car engine inside a household garage as the exhaust fumes can be toxic. If you keep your car in a garage, pull it out on to the drive to run the engine to charge the battery.

If you have two or more cars in the household, consider alternating them when you make any trips.

Getting back on the road – before you start a journey in a car you haven’t used for a long time:

• Check that the road tax is still current.
    • Taxing the car will cancel any SORN (Statutory Off Road Notice).
  • If your MOT is due to expire shortly, please do not worry. The Government have introduced a 6-month extension from 30 March – as long as your vehicle remains in a roadworthy condition, you will still be able to drive it. However, we would recommend that you get in touch with us to a arrange a booking as soon as our dealerships are re-open.
  • Check tyre pressures.
  • Check nothing’s nesting under the bonnet or has chewed through the pipes/hoses.
  • Check all fluid levels, before starting the engine.
  • Check the brakes, including the handbrake – they may have seized up if the car was left with the handbrake on. Try putting it into gear and driving gently.

I hope this helps, but if you need any further information, routine maintenance or a repair, our Customer Care team is always available to help, please contact them at cc@steveneagell.co.uk.

Please take care and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Kind regards

Paul Parsons

Group Aftersales Director

Steven Eagell Toyota sent this email out on Friday

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your replies I'm not sure about making my way around the forum as I've just joined.

3 minutes ago, Ali123 said:

Thank you for your replies I'm not sure about making my way around the forum as I've just joined.

Basically the Club is divided into specific forums for most models - eg Auris club, Corolla club, Yaris club, etc - with additional forums for General Discussions, Member Introductions, insurance related queries, For Sale, etc, etc. So if your queries are specifically on the Yaris, stick to the Yaris club.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links