Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2019 RAV 4 speed on EV/HV (hybrid battery)?

HSDish

How fast can Rav 4 2019 be driven in EV/HV(hybrid battery) mode on flat road before ICE kicks in ?

Assuming the conditions are met for the EV button to be activated, the maximum speed depends on the Battery temperature.  So on a coolish day (below low 20s Celsius) it will cancel at 20 mph (32 kph) *.  When the car is warmed up it will got to at least 30 mph (48 kph) possibly a bit higher.  Also, when cold, surprisingly light pressure on the accelerator exits with an "accelerate more gently" message on the dash, wheres when warmer it will tolerate fairly brisk acceleration.

In normal HV mode though the car can choose to be in EV state at speeds in the 50-60 mph (80-97 kph) range, and downhill or on a trailing throttle I've seen the EV light come on at just above 70 mph (113 kph) (don't forget in UK and probably all of Europe the speedo over-reads by 8-10%).

My previous Gen 4 Prius would briefly show the EV light at up to 70 mph (113 kph) on a level road.  I think the RAV4 fails to do this because it needs that bit more energy to overcome the brick-like aerodynamics and extra weight over the very slippery Prius.

* The second Generation Prius (2004-2009) was the first version to have an EV button and that would always work up to 30 mph (48 kph) subject to sufficient charge etc.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, PeteB said:

Assuming the conditions are met for the EV button to be activated, the maximum speed depends on the battery temperature.  So on a coolish day (below low 20s Celsius) it will cancel at 20 mph (32 kph) *.  When the car is warmed up it will got to at least 30 mph (48 kph) possibly a bit higher.  Also, when cold, surprisingly light pressure on the accelerator exits with an "accelerate more gently" message on the dash, wheres when warmer it will tolerate fairly brisk acceleration.

In normal HV mode though the car can choose to be in EV state at speeds in the 50-60 mph (80-97 kph) range, and downhill or on a trailing throttle I've seen the EV light come on at just above 70 mph (113 kph) (don't forget in UK and probably all of Europe the speedo over-reads by 8-10%).

My previous Gen 4 Prius would briefly show the EV light at up to 70 mph (113 kph) on a level road.  I think the RAV4 fails to do this because it needs that bit more energy to overcome the brick-like aerodynamics and extra weight over the very slippery Prius.

* The second Generation Prius (2004-2009) was the first version to have an EV button and that would always work up to 30 mph (48 kph) subject to sufficient charge etc.

Thanks a lot.

Will try to sum up my thoughts - 

We now (since some months back) need to drive our Prius 2015 Plug In gen 1 car some 60 km trip (about 37.28 miles I think) with some up and down hills. four times a week,(regularly) without charging with cable and most of that distance are at highway speed 110 km/h ( 68.3 miles/h I think) . 

Our Prius gen 1 PHEV can be driven in about 75 km/h (46.6 miles/h I think) in HV mode and about 85 km/h (52.8 miles/h I think) in EV mode on level road.

We got an Prius+ 2017 which I’ve driven (quite gently) for about 15 months now (Bought dec 2018 driven all seasons, two winters and one summer, and with whinter /summertyres) and so far I'm averaging 5.2 L/ 100 km (about 54.32mpg I think) when I checked regulary at fuelpump and according to my Fuelio app. (car computer says even a bit better).

Im living in Sweden and at my place we have about 3 months 0f +2 C and below., about 4 months with +10 c and below, about 2 months with +10-20 C and just about 3 months with 20 c and warrmer..

The sunny weather for about/average 1 hour a day for 2 months , 2 h/d for 2 months, 3 h/d for 2 month, 5 h/d for 2 months, and 8 h/d for about 4 months

Rain or snow about/average 1mm a day for 2months, 2mm/d for 5 months and for about 3mm/d for 5 moths.

We’re very pleased with our Prius+ . Good comfort and easy to enter/exit. (I’ve got som problems with my back/spine/hips but never in our Prius+).

But… the Prius+ can just be driven in about 68 km/h ( 42.25 miles I think) on level roads.

Tested an used White pearl Prius Plug In 2017 (Gen 2) Wednesday through Thursday morning and drove for about 4 hours in total. Did a lot of enter- exit -enter to really test and even tested with an Car Cane grab bar device to easen enter exit.

The car was great in many ways ( heat pump and more than twice as long range on pure electricity. in 6/7 plus degrees and you can run it on pure electricity at 120 km / h , mine goes only at about 85 km / h , quite a lot of)  equipment to  but ... 

Sadly enough I actually had (a little) pain in my back on Thursday morning so I don't actually think I dare to take a chance on swapping/ trading our Prius 2015 PHEV gen 1. 

Our gen 1 is 20 mm  higher and has a little higher mounted chairs and it actually does quite a lot easen enter /exit for me. Don’t dare to swap our gen 1 for an gen 2 Prius PHEV even though the Gen 2 would suite our driving very well.

So…

Now I’m thinking about to (maybe) trade in our Prius + for an used RAV 4 2019 HSD .

Every other (the trip home) of those 60 km trips (about 37.28 miles I think) with some up and down hills. four times a week,(regularly) with mostly highway speed 110 km/h ( 68.3 miles/h I think) are at 8 PM (evening) and with very little traffic so my idea is this…

About 35% of the total distance/trip is downhill or level road where I could lower the speed to about  60 mph ( 97 km/h) and drive on EV mode with an RAV 4 2019 HSD.

Our Prius + can just be driven in about about 68 km/h ( 42.25 miles I think) on level roads but maybe it’s average fuel consumption ,5.2 L/ 100 km (about 54.32mpg I think) or even better when the weather gets warmer again, still will be better than Rav 4 (know that Rav4 is stronger AWD and more equipment to

Apologize for my bad English but I hope You’ll understand

Have to be better at finding earlier topics .

Found this topic , with this ” 2019 RAV 4 real mpg and some other related questions. subject, where ”ROCKETRON” and ”chris ha” says they’re averaging more than 50 mpg .

”ROCKETRON” have also seen 65 mph while in ev mode (I’m not sure h if he means on level road, though)

I think that the best and most cost efficent thing I can do right now, both for me and mother nature , is to keep our cars and drive the Prius Plug In 2015 on this regular 60 km trips (about 37.28 miles). I think I can manage to drive the Prius Plug In 2015 at about 3.6 L/100 km ( about 78.47 UK mpg) avarage summer/winter.

I’ve got this ”drive as fuel/energy efficent as possible” thing, thats why I’m asking about this (various Toyota HSD/Plug In models) over and over again.

Here’s one more topic about related /the same subject.

Thanks to all participants/contributors.

There is surely a more fundamental point when you demand fuel efficiency at any price. For a large ( in UK terms) SUV retaining very high performance and rewarding driving characteristics the current hybrid model returns very reasonable fuel consumption and is relatively clean when used in an urban environment. If your journeys do not need its large carrying capacity and you are happy to drive more slowly in order to conserve energy then the Rav4 is by definition ruled out immediately. It could probably be argued that, now that all-electric Battery range has been increased on the latest models, we do have the option of using no petrol at all provided daily round trips do not exceed about 150 miles.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, roadster-rav said:

There is surely a more fundamental point when you demand fuel efficiency at any price. For a large ( in UK terms) SUV retaining very high performance and rewarding driving characteristics the current hybrid model returns very reasonable fuel consumption and is relatively clean when used in an urban environment. If your journeys do not need its large carrying capacity and you are happy to drive more slowly in order to conserve energy then the Rav4 is by definition ruled out immediately. It could probably be argued that, now that all-electric battery range has been increased on the latest models, we do have the option of using no petrol at all provided daily round trips do not exceed about 150 miles.

We need to transport our daughters wheelchair (use our Prius+ 2017 for that purpose now) so RAV4 s carrying capacity is crusial for our biggest car  (thinking about to maybe trading our Prius+ for an Rav 4HSD in that case) . Even thinking about the new RAV 4 PHEV or maybe the Proace City Verso when/if it comes in all electric or PHEV

16 hours ago, HSDish said:

We need to transport our daughters wheelchair (use our Prius+ 2017 for that purpose now) so RAV4 s carrying capacity is crusial for our biggest car  (thinking about to maybe trading our Prius+ for an Rav 4HSD in that case) . Even thinking about the new RAV 4 PHEV or maybe the Proace City Verso when/if it comes in all electric or PHEV

In that case you should try to arrange a test drive as soon as current circumstances permit. It was the test drive that convinced me to buy. You may like the low load lip at the back and you can assess  ease of entry and general levels of refinement which I find pretty good. Fuel consumption is very much in the drivers control with lots of feedback from the cars instrumentation to help. The plug-in hybrid will definitely benefit if typical journeys between charging don't exceed about twice the EV range and don't involve high speed. My personal view was that the Rav4 offered a degree of self-indulgent luxury but not to excess and the price reflected this fairly.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, roadster-rav said:

In that case you should try to arrange a test drive as soon as current circumstances permit. It was the test drive that convinced me to buy. You may like the low load lip at the back and you can assess  ease of entry and general levels of refinement which I find pretty good. Fuel consumption is very much in the drivers control with lots of feedback from the cars instrumentation to help. The plug-in hybrid will definitely benefit if typical journeys between charging don't exceed about twice the EV range and don't involve high speed. My personal view was that the Rav4 offered a degree of self-indulgent luxury but not to excess and the price reflected this fairly.

Thank You for sharing Your experiences.

I've already tested to load the wheelchair in the Rav4 HSD 2019 and it was very easy. Made a short testdive to. Will test more careful again.

What I'm pondering about is if RAV 4 2019 is  going to be more fuel/energy efficent than my Prius+ 2017 or if its just stronger, awd, more equiped , a bit bigger and newer than our Prius+ 2017, which manage to transport our three pers. family and wheelchair. too

• 3 weeks later...

on the flat, if you already have some momentum, its quite easy to get it to flip into EV only mode at 40 mph if you pulse and glide.

and so far, i'm getting 45mpg combined.... though i generally don't do much inner city driving, and its skewed a bit by the school run which is quite short ( the engine will always be on to start, to warm up)

• Thanks 1