Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid Big Battery charging

ratfugel

We are told to display READY, start engine and run for 60 minutes a week.

Fine if you want to reward the petrol companies.  But it won't charge your Battery.

Why? Because the generators are in the wheels and the wheels need to turn to charge the Battery, which then powers the engine.

That little bit of info came from the Tech boys in Japan.

So, since my Battery was almost flat I started the engine (READY displayed, foot on brake, pressed accelerator) was able to move the car.

I live on a hill, so I went up the hill, let the car run down with the engine running, and lo and behold, the generators came on, the bits joined up on the display and I got the green charging lines.

Five laps of the hill and I had a fully charged battery.

Problem solved.

rat.

• Haha 1

Moved to General Discussions.

The advice given by Toyota GB is for charging  both the hybrid battery and the 12 volt Battery

Where did you get that idea ???? The motor and generator (alternator) are in the gearbox*, the braking regen is only active in B mode and has a small effect on recharging the traction Battery

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Synergy_Drive

All you need to do is turn on a big load like the air conditioning or all the lights and the engine will start (in ready mode, in park)

• Like 1

When I update the map whilst just sat in ready mode. The engine will run for roughly 3 minutes and then switch back off. The Battery is back to 44% or close to it. The 60 minutes is more for charging the 12v auxiliary Battery, since the 12v Battery is charged at a slower rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That post made my day! So funny 😂 

People need to understand what they have actually purchased.😉

• Like 1

12 hours ago, flash22 said:

Where did you get that idea ???? The motor and generator (alternator) are in the gearbox*, the braking regen is only active in B mode and has a small effect on recharging the traction battery

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Synergy_Drive

All you need to do is turn on a big load like the air conditioning or all the lights and the engine will start (in ready mode, in park)

Wikipedia to the resume again. What a wonderful source of knowledge Wikipedia is. I will need to read a few times to get a fuller insight of what goes on in this wonderful technology Toyota have developed and given to us in the form of fuel efficient vehicles, which are also a joy to drive.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, flash22 said:

.... the braking regen is only active in B mode and has a small effect on recharging the traction battery ....

B mode (engine braking) should only be used on downhill stretches especially when the Battery is full (as no regenerative braking available) - B mode effectively connects the petrol engine to the wheels as per the wiki link. The info is also in the manual, search for 'engine braking'. Using B mode by default will get you less mpg as some of your regen is actually spent turning over the engine!

More info on B mode from Toyota guy: 

Prius car review on Car magazine

which mentions:

"Richard’s expertise begins with getting muggins here to do the most basic of things, like reading the manual. Contrary to my assumptions, the B mode for the CVT gearbox is, as the letter suggests, for engine braking rather than sending more juice back into the Battery. And staying in it all day actually uses more fuel, as that mode prioritises engine braking over fuel saving. Who knew?"

• Like 1

Hi,

B mode actually can work without ice on, but you need to drive at speeds lower than 30mph.  It’s  same as higher regen level in which some other hybrids and full ev is available to choose as different settings. In higher speeds ice is engaged and B mode provides more stopping power by the engine similar to overdrive on old school automatics. I personally use it sometimes when going downhill, it is useful plus reminds me how cool is to drive a manual car from time to time. 
Regards 

B mode only comes into operation when the accelerator pedal is released. It doesn't supply any regen - it diverts it away (as heat and pumping losses within the engine) as mentioned by the Toyota 'expert' above.

Summary, B mode should only be used to increase retardation on downhill stretches (especially if traction Battery full), that is all is was designed for.