Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Avensis 1.8 1998 Corroded Oil cooler pipes

steve mezzle

Hi All

I know very little about cars so sometimes use this site if something goes wrong with my car and therefore always greatfull for the advice.

I have an issue with my car where one of the oil cooler pipes seems to have corroded and is leaking a small amount of oil. The pipework is made up of a length of rubber hose first, then metal pipework that then goes right up to the cooler .The reverse on the way back.

I am looking into fixing this but not yet sure of the best way. I think the easiest way would be to bypass the oil cooler and metal pipework by joining together the rubber hose before the metal pipework leading to and from the oil cooler. 

Is this a viable option or do i need the oil cooler?

Otherwise ill look at either replacing the metal pipework or repairing it.  Its rusted on a bendy bit of pipe so that may not be that easy.

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't bypass the oil cooler. To state the obvious - the oil cooler is there to cool the oil and so without it the oil my get too hot.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. I was under the impression that most cars dont have oil coolers and they are only really useful if you are pulling a caravan or something like that?. Not sure if this is true though.

Maybe you are overthinking it. Is it possible to fix it with a bit of copper pipe, a cheap disposable torch and some solder? 

I would try to easiest options first.

• Thanks 1

If you are in the UK then I would just bypass the cooler.  UK climate is generally very mild and unless you are flogging the engine hard (pulling a caravan up a hill) your oil will not be getting particularly hot. Moreover oils have improved a lot in the last 20 years.

My old Camry over in Thailand has an oil cooler but the ambient daytime temperature is seldom below 30deg. and sometimes over 40deg.  If I open the bonnet at a motorway rest stop I have to stand back otherwise the draft of hot air off the engine will scald my face. The dipstick is too hot to touch - have to let it cool for a few minutes. Even though its only been run on the cheapest fast-fit oil and filters its still managed over 400k km....  Cars in the UK have it easy.

• Thanks 1

On the other hand, your car was built in Britain for the British market so, I'm sure there is a good reason for it to have an oil cooler. 

• Thanks 1

I had the same happen on my old corolla.

I did have a go at making some replacement piping using 10mm copper pipe, but got fed up of the bends not being quite correct, so I just removed and forgot about the metal pipework completely, and replaced the rubber hoses with longer pieces and connected them straight to the oil cooler

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, garethpaul said:

I had the same happen on my old corolla.

I did have a go at making some replacement piping using 10mm copper pipe, but got fed up of the bends not being quite correct, so I just removed and forgot about the metal pipework completely, and replaced the rubber hoses with longer pieces and connected them straight to the oil cooler

Thanks guys for all the comments. Ill try replacing with rubber hose as above and see how i get on

Ordinary rubber tube is not any use for this application. If you go to a Hydraulic tube supplier they will sell you re-enforced tube suitable for very hot oil. it is not expensive and you should be able to run the full length in tubing, suitable supported.

• Thanks 1