Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No glovebox light?

Merlin5

Hello chaps. Quite disappointed there's no light in my glove box. I thought that was as standard as air vents?

Haven't opened mine in ages, but i think there is a light,you just need to have position lights, or headlights on for it to work.

If those are not turned on, and your inside dash not illuminated, then the glovebox  light is also not working.

Or maybe your bulb is dead.

• Thanks 1

Thanks furtula. No light came on when my headlights were on and I can't see any bulb inside the glovebox or where it should be. Nothing in the manual mentioning glovebox illumination, only how to open it.

I don't think the glovebox of my 2009 Auris had illumination.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

I don't think the glovebox of my 2009 Auris had illumination.

That's disappointing to hear. I was hoping you might say mine's definitely got a light. I can't believe Toyota equipped this car with so much technology, much more than my 307 (which had a glovebox light), yet  they didn't install one in the glovebox. I'll have to complain to my local MP. 😄

• Haha 1

The glovebox does have light, i think it's standard W5W, but the light itself is hidden and so tiny, you dont really notice it, looks more like a screw head, when being looked at.

As i said before, you need to have the lights on, for it to be operational.

I used a CD to show the reflection as its not visible that much now.

You can see it here, picture quality is quite bad tho, because of the sun, but it's just to get general idea where it is.

It does not look much, but at night it's quite sufficient. Since it's W5W, you might be able to replace it with some led, if you want brighter light.

image.thumb.png.a1fc7e47c647470ebee7b14a2764cff5.pngimage.thumb.png.9fdb25c42ee8a6092b1e06c891e773d0.png

• Thanks 1

You're correct furtula, yes there is a light!  😀 Thank gawd for that.  I think it needs replacing though, it's very dull, just a single tiny bulb. I'll see if I can get an LED bulb.  So the bulb I'm looking for is a W5W?  I'd have a go myself but I can't see how to access it,  I imagine lots of the glovebox plastic bits need removing.

20200502_164051.thumb.jpg.83a8638522a652cc1efb2125abd58223.jpg 20200502_164039.thumb.jpg.4be1d5c285f79b01fef747c9a537dbcd.jpg

Take it back under the sale of goods act.😂😂🤣

Yes, it's  W5W, same used for position lights, indoor lights(except the dome in the middle), license plate lights, so you might buy a bunch and replace them all.

I know the glovebox one looks tiny, but in the dark it does the job.

Far worse for me was the boot light, it was awful, i had it replace with some really bright LED which had heatsinks on it, now it shines like it's daytime.

I found this video of how to access the glovebox bulb in a Corolla  but it should work as the interior and glovebox all looks the same as mine. Looks easy enough as long as I don't break the cosmetic trims. He disconnects and removes a small rectangular black plastic unit with the bulb. I assume the bulb is then removed from it but he doesn't show that. I don't think an LED bulb can be installed without that black unit?

Cosmetic trims pop out easy, just use some plastic tool.

Plastic just seems to be holder for the light, but looks like you can pop it open.

If not, you can always get creative, i'm pretty sure the wires are already 12V, so you just need to get the led position nicelly in the holder.

Still, when it's dark, the light does what it should, even if it's not noticeable during daylight.

Yes  it's all working fine and illuminating well enough.

20200503_235700.thumb.jpg.5733d5a6e330912133cf59fd7541b5d9.jpg

Very odd, I'm sure I had originally checked the glovebox light with my headlights on but I guess they weren't on. I might still get an LED bulb anyway just to get a brighter and whiter light. But thanks furtula for your help.