Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

run car for 20 minutes each week

T.F.S.B.I.G.W.S.

I had an email for a roadside rescue company which included "If you're not driving during the coronavirus crisis don't forget to start your car and leave it running for 20 minutes every week."  I had not driven for 6 weeks and was pleased when my car started first time - and I left it running for 20 minutes. Is anyone else doing this?

(strange I have stopped receiving emails re this forum and I haven't changed the settings (unless in error) and I have checked my junk mail)

• Like 1

Also see 

Starting the car is not only useful to charge the Battery, but also circulates oil thus keeping seals "wet". If seals dry out then oil leaks could well result.

If possible take the car for a short run as this will clean discs and pads of any oxidisation that is forming, and aslo ensure the hand brake does not seize in the on position.

Also, many years ago now, I remember Mum and Dad going off to USA to visit my brother for a month. I said I would start up the car each week, but I forgot. When they were due back I started up the car, that was not a problem, but I couldnt get it into gear as the clutch plate had seized due to continually being under pressure. Had to tow it to a garage. Fairly quick job for them as it was a rear wheel drive (Viva). Lesson learnt. 

• Like 2

I've been trying to combine an essential journey and running the engine at the same time. I managed to sprain my ankle two weeks ago, so she's had a week of not been going anywhere. But having said that, Nancy has never failed to start first time. They're not designed to be kept not doing anything though, so I'm glad I've got an excuse to go out on Thursday for a routine blood test.

12 minutes ago, Wiz201 said:

I've been trying to combine an essential journey and running the engine at the same time. 

I do the same...combine an essential journey but with a sneaky "long way round" to give the bus a reasonable run.

It keeps everything in order...:wink:

• Like 2

Wife and I both have a hybrid. We do essential food shop once per week, so each car gets a run out every fortnight. Either it’s a 16 mile return journey or a potential 4 mile return but with an extended journey “long way round” as per RUToyota above.

• Like 2

It's a good idea to use your weekly shopping run to also exercise various items that might otherwise seize up, especially the aircon.  Also electric windows, sunroof, retracting ariel, etc.  Even without lockdown, for all my cars, I exercise all items and charge all batteries every month.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links