Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Trickle charge grounding point

Loosecanons

Hi

I have a 2005 vvti

As it hasn't moved for 5 weeks in this current situation it has a flat Battery. No lights at all on the dashboard.

I want to trickle charge it overnight whilst in the car.

Simple question - where is the best place to ground the negative clamp when the bonnet is down?

Thanks

You can put the negative on any piece of metal any where on the car but, why don't you just connect it to the Battery as I imagine that's where you will be putting the positive?

Hi

Thanks for  the quick reply.

I tried clamping it to the metal moulding below the windscreen but that wasn't registering a circuit.

I've clamped it to a metal pipe behind the radiator

Thank you

Hi

Not sure if I can mention brands on the forum. It specifically says not to connect the negative to the Battery if charging in the car.

I tried jump starting it at first. The dash lights came on I turned the key and then nothing. No lights. So  I thought I'd try trickle charging overnight

The general manufacturers' recommendation is to connect the charger's +ve lead to Battery, and then the -ve lead to any suitable earth point away from the Battery.  Probably a bit of a Health & Safety requirement.  This is because there is a very minimal risk that when making the -ve connection, there could be an explosion if the Battery has been gassing, when it gives off hydrogen.  Same applies when jump starting from another battery, when there could be a spark if both leads from the good battery are made to the flat battery, hence the recommendation to make the (second) connection to an earth point away from the battery.

I think many of us make both connections direct to the battery, and we are still here to tell the tale 😀

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links