Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A good news story about Toyota car production in the UK

Luke717

To take your mind off coronavirus, lockdown, and the when or if of car deliveries, even for just a few minutes, here's a readable assessment of Toyota car production in the UK, reviewing the Burnaston factory, it's history and how they make Corollas. For me, as someone waiting for a new Corolla HB Excel, I found this an insightful read that helps me remain confident about my pending new car.

As Autocar introduces the piece dated May 3: "It’s a good news story about a factory that has received major investment, increased production and shown that British manufacturing is as good as any in the world."

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/building-40-new-cars-hour-inside-toyotas-burnaston-plant

• Like 1

Great see positive news.

Are you all aware of the public visits available at the Burnaston plant?

I attended one last year and can honestly say it was fascinating and extremely informative. One can not leave the plant without total confidence in Toyota.

I hope the plant reopens soon as I'm waiting for my new Corolla Sports Touring having sold my old Toyota weeks ago before Covid 19 erupted crashing the world economies.

Stay well

Partly because of poor service from German dealers, I was pleased to buy a British built car in my new Toyota. At the time, I also felt it was important due to the Brexit nightmare.

Having not owned a German built car, although my commercial vehicle is German (And I've had more problems with it than any of my previous vehicles), I often hear that the Corolla is very comparable or even better in the view of some drivers ( but you won't hear that from die hard loyal owners who view owning a German car as a status symbol, for some reason!).

Could not agree more Timmon.

Likewise before retiring I've owned and driven all the "Quality" German brands, lovely cars that they are to drive but everyone cost me serious money not long out of warranty. On occasion goodwill was offered but I still was not really happy bearing in mind the premium that was paid. Compared to 2 Honda Accords, 2ltr pertrol 130k, 2.2 Diesel 170k, no problems.

Fast forward to retirement when I purchased an Avensis TR Touring 1.8 petrol. 7 years on and not a squeak or rattle, just routine servicing. My daughter has bought it, loose term, and I'm awaiting my new Corolla which I'm confident will serve me well

• Like 2

21 hours ago, rogersp said:

Are you all aware of the public visits available at the Burnaston plant?

Hi Paul. Thanks for sharing this info, I didn't know you could do that!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Timmon said:

Partly because of poor service from German dealers, I was pleased to buy a British built car in my new Toyota. At the time, I also felt it was important due to the Brexit nightmare.

Having not owned a German built car, although my commercial vehicle is German (And I've had more problems with it than any of my previous vehicles), I often hear that the Corolla is very comparable or even better in the view of some drivers ( but you won't hear that from die hard loyal owners who view owning a German car as a status symbol, for some reason!).

I have a different experience, TIM. I owned an Audi A4 SLine auto from 2010 to 2016. Terrific car, that model and year was a real driver's car, that for me was the most satisfying car experience since the Saab 900 Turbo I had in the early 90s.

My experience with the Audi dealer was superb. They looked after the car during that whole period, I have not a single complaint about their operation or their service. That experience played a big part in how I regard Audi as a brand. The one I owned was a great car and the fact it's German doesn't feature much in that view even though Audi the company does play up its German-ness in its advertising. Perception wise, I see Audi as some levels up from other German brands; clearly my great experience with Audi influences that view.

And with Toyota, I had a Camry V6 from 1997 for a few years as a company car. Loved it. That experience has influenced my opinion of Toyota and was a factor in my decision in January to buy a new Corolla. Plus asking around I discovered a handful of friends here and in the US with Toyotas of one model of another - unanimous positivity from all those friends about the brand and their dealer experiences.

For me things have a changed a lot since my time with a Camry and with the Audi. What I want from a car is different now. First and foremost, I wanted a hybrid. I'm very happy with my Toyota decision. My dealer experience so far has been good even to the extent of hearing from them recently about plans post-lockdown. I think it's the dealer experience that really counts and plays a huge role in brand loyalty. Looking forward to testing this when I eventually get my new car!

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 1:23 PM, Timmon said:

I've owned three Honda Jazz over the years. The first two were flawless both in design and execution. The third had several minor flaws (never actually broke down but things like door mirrors randomly closing and opening aren't good). The third also didn't feel so well thought out. I never really felt 'at home' in it.

The first two were built in Swindon, the third was built in Japan.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links