Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Door Locking Question

Joe S.

I just purchased a 2020 RAV4 Hybrid. When I park the car somewhere and walk away, the doors do not automatically lock. I have to manually lock them with the electronic key. I think there should be a way to have them lock when the key is not in range, but, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to do it.

Is manually locking the doors when you park the car the only way it can be done? If not, does anyone know how to program the doors to automatically lock? I am sure there will come a time when I forget to lock the doors and my car will be open for anybody.

Thanks

The only cars I believe do that are some Tesla (there may be others but I'm not aware of any)

I'm certain the RAV4 does not have that capability in the UK, and I've never heard of it being available anywhere else.

There are options to have the doors lock when inside, either from the transmission being in Park or not, or when a certain speed is reached, but not to autol-ock when leaving the car.

The main choices are to use the remote button on the key or, if your car has the keyless entry option, to touch the lines on the handle of the door after you've closed it.

I have my mirrors set to auto fold when locking the car so that, at least, a quick glance at them confirms whether I've locked it or not.

As standard, if the car is unlocked and then a door is not opened within a short time, the car does re-lock itself to protect against accidental unlocking (for example if the key's unlock button is knocked in a pockets).

My previous car had keyless entry and touch handle locking, a royal pain in the backside I discovered!

No folding mirrors to confirm it was locked and no time delay from locking to unlocking so if you grabbed the handle to check it would unlock again.

When I 'discovered' the key fob sequence to disable keyless entry (JLR were adamant it could not be switched off, YouTube new better) I was much happier😀 Oh, and my wife was happy when I stopped handing her the keys so I could walk back and check the car was locked!  

I haven't picked up my Corolla from the dealer yet, and it has keyless entry, but it does have auto folding mirrors as an additional clue it's locked.

You only have this feature with the smart entry and keyless go option, I have this on my yaris and have it disabled as it's a pita

A few manufactures offer auto lock iirc ford and merc do, not sure about BMW

I've also been looking for an answer to this after having it on my 2013 Rav. Keyless entry, push button start. Alarm auto-armed after 30 secs when left. I asked at the dealer (before lock down) and that couldn't answer. Obviously haven't had a chance to return. I'd be interested to know if this feature is accessible.

Looks like the OP is from the US - European models may have different specs and customisable features.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2020 at 7:41 PM, Rambler56 said:

Oh, and my wife was happy when I stopped handing her the keys so I could walk back and check the car was locked!  

if you are not sure, try the rear passenger door, even with the key in your hand, it will not unlock the door, that what i do with my rav4 2019 anyway....

• Like 2

I assume you are aware of locking your car by just touching a finger on the door handle. So simple.

l believe the car is self locking because often mine locks automatically. In fact if I open the car using the keyfob while walking to the car but get distracted before I get in, often the car remotely locks.

The car will not lock if keyfob is left inside the car. I found this out as on one occasion I went to lock it and the car refused and then I found my wife’s handbag in the car with the spare keyfob inside.

11 minutes ago, Scottydog007 said:

...l believe the car is self locking because often mine locks automatically. In fact if I open the car using the keyfob while walking to the car but get distracted before I get in, often the car remotely locks...

That will only happen if you've used the remote or keyless entry to unlock the car and then don't open a door within a set time limit (I think the default is 30 Sec).  It's a security feature in case the button gets accidentally pressed in a pocket etc.  The delay can be altered by the user in one of the menus.

AFAIK all remote locking Toyotas have done this for a very long time, and all cars from other manufacturers that I've had since the 1990s have done this.  The only exception I'm aware of was the Mk 1 Aygo, which only had an interior light switch on the driver's door, hence didn't know whether any other door had been opened or not, so couldn't have this feature.

1 hour ago, PeteB said:

The only exception I'm aware of was the Mk 1 Aygo

The Mk 2 Aygo is the same.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links