Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Not limp mode, no codes, no acceleration

Dwrav4.3

I'm really stuck, I try not to post too much because so much is added daily anyway, but I'm really baffled! 

Rav4.3 2.2d 

Struggling to accelerate, like limp mode when engine under load but no codes, no check engine light,

Tried new scv, cleaned egr but it was already the cleanest I've ever had, can't find any boost leaks, no hissing from pipes, fuel filter recent, starts fine, drives up to about 40mph ok then struggling, no excess smoke from exhaust, 

Anyone got any ideas?

I've looked for months now but can't find much more than scv posts.

Also my original scv was the updated 'long' version, the replacement I was recommended was the shorter one for my 0R010 pump.

I'm so confused, I think the rav is probably the worst car I've owned! On a par with vans I've had to use for work.

Anyone got any suggestions, much appreciated. 

Double check that air can get in without obstruction and exhaust can get out. I have seen incorrectly assembled air filter housings that block flow and there may also be a butterfly which provides manifold vacuum but should open on demand ( sorry not familiar with this model ). Exhaust can be damaged externally by rocks etc. or blocked due to baffles coming loose. I mention these things because you have no electronically detected faults and I have seen some highly qualified engineers struggle with such unusual things.

Thanks, done these checks, still no joy, slight oil film around bottom intercooler hose but nothing major, last ditch attempt I'm gonna swap the fuel filter, the one fitted is what I'd call a questionable brand! Sureflow or surefil or something, 

Stumped. 

Wow, that REALLY didn't work! 

No I can't start the car at all, fuel primer pump does nothing, rolled it down hill incase the pickup wasn't able to suck in fuel, now it's just in a car park down the hill from my house unable to start a with a steadily running out Battery from multiple start attempts.

Worst car I've ever known. 

Many fuel filter changes over the years, 20min job, unscrew old, screw on new, on older diesel cars prime with pump, surprised you need to on a 2006 but it doesn't work anyway!

Absolutely bamboozled. 

Is there a fuel pickup pump in the tank?

Could this be the problem with fuel not getting through the prime pump?

Big nut on my supply line, says out on it. Guessing it's a non return valve but not sure it's original, other pics I've seen don't seem to have one.

Anyway cars been carried off on a lowloader to a garage. 

Never known anything like this on any other car I've owned in 30+years.

Just seems like a bad car to me, and horrible to drive even when it works properly! 

DSC_0042.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

In conclusion and because it might help someone else in future. 

Fuel wouldn't prime because the immobiliser had "lost it's coding" shutting of the fuel pump making it impossible to prime and impossible to start.

So recoding the immobiliser allowing the fuel pump to activate, allowing the priming pump to work, allowing the engine to start.

Ridiculous but there it is. 

Won't buy one of these ever again. Horrible to drive, horrible to own. 

I had a Honda CRV that I bought from a garage, it was 6 months old. After a month of driving it I wanted to see how low I could get the fuel tank before needing to refill. The computer said 0 and I did another 30 miles in it but the needle was still off zero position. I got home fine and filled up with diesel.

Next morning it went into limp mode. I had AA cover so the guy told me there were no diagnostic messages at all but he assumed the car realised fuel had been low and went into protection mode to protect the turbo. He said he did a reset and it worked fine and never did this again in the remaining 5 years I had it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links