Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Contemplating the T27

kabaddi

Hi guys!

After having an Audi A4 for a (terrible) period I'm reverting to Toyota.

I've found great information on the forum about recommended engines for the T25. 1ZZ-FE from 2006 and up, and the 1CD-FTV diesel.

I haven't been able to find much information about recommended petrol and diesel engines for the T27.
I've read about the EPB issues, potential Valvematic issues etc. etc.
Is there a consensus about which petrol and diesel engines that are the "best" or are less reliable? Manual transmission vs automatic?

So far I've read far more negative comments about the T27 than the T25, but my better half likes the looks of the T27.

I would really appreciate any thoughts you guys have because the Audi is giving me headaches.

Hi kabaddi,

Just past on my 2013 T27 TR Tourer Petrol Auto on to my daughter after 7 years and 70+k of trouble free motoring.

Don't believe anything negative press you read in various publications about the Avensis being a dull car and lacking performance etc. The car is very well screwed together, smooth to drive, very comfortable with, above all, bullet proof reliability. If I wanted a car to drive like an idiot I would not have bought an Avensis so the various motoring journalists need to look at the real world and recognise an Avensis type of car is probably what 90% of motoring public seek.

The only negative is the EPB and there's some noise out there but from the 10 000s of cars made I'm of the opinion its a low number but recognising it's an expensive fix.

As you may have seen I'm waiting for a new Corolla Touring but had an Avensis Hybrid Touring been available I would not have hesitated in buying another only because it's more spacious than the Corolla Touring.

• Like 2

Read this post on a similar subject - 

I was looking to buy a T25 at a certain price, and at that time, a few T27 cars came up for roughly similar price. I went for  my current car and not regretted it. I did a comparison with my friend who had a '57 TR  estate for a short time, until it was written off by an idiot driver going the opposite direction. He has a Prius now.

8 hours ago, rogersp said:

Hi kabaddi,

Just past on my 2013 T27 TR Tourer Petrol Auto on to my daughter after 7 years and 70+k of trouble free motoring.

Don't believe anything negative press you read in various publications about the Avensis being a dull car and lacking performance etc. The car is very well screwed together, smooth to drive, very comfortable with, above all, bullet proof reliability. If I wanted a car to drive like an idiot I would not have bought an Avensis so the various motoring journalists need to look at the real world and recognise an Avensis type of car is probably what 90% of motoring public seek.

The only negative is the EPB and there's some noise out there but from the 10 000s of cars made I'm of the opinion its a low number but recognising it's an expensive fix.

As you may have seen I'm waiting for a new Corolla Touring but had an Avensis Hybrid Touring been available I would not have hesitated in buying another only because it's more spacious than the Corolla Touring.

Sounds very good indeed.

In your opinion, is there a specific engine that stands out? What engine was it on the car you passed on to your daughter?
Regarding transmission, manual or auto?

7 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Read this post on a similar subject - 

I was looking to buy a T25 at a certain price, and at that time, a few T27 cars came up for roughly similar price. I went for  my current car and not regretted it. I did a comparison with my friend who had a '57 TR  estate for a short time, until it was written off by an idiot driver going the opposite direction. He has a Prius now.

Thank you Konrad for the great links. Looks like the 1.8 automatic is a good choice!

Hi Kabaddi

1.8 CVT Auto

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links