Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rant about Toyota "Quality"

Nicolai

Hi All,

In August this year my car will be 7 years old. As such, I guess it can be considered a "first run" Auris Hybrid Touring Sports.

I bought bought a Toyota HSD because I believed them to be reliable and as my car is for a disabled driver, I cannot afford any garage time besides regular maintenance, because I cannot go anywhere without my car (I use it to drive to the nearest grocery shop 1 mile away from my house as my walking distance is piratically zero.

Car age: approaching 7 years old

Mileage: 70,000 ks or 43,500 miles.

I'll start with the good things:

So far there has been no major repairs (knock on wood) and the hybrid system, whilst not returning the mpg I'd hoped for (60 mpg on average through the life of the car, runs smoothly).

The bad things:

A couple of months after purchase, the seam on the edge of the boot load cover came undone to do insufficient or subpar glue being used. I complained to Toyota and a few days later, I could collect a new cover free of charge - no problems since.

A couple of years ago, the wing mirror in the driver's side didn't react to inputs from the controls. Went to Toyota and they sprayed the contacts and chords within the mirror and checked the one in the passenger's side as well. Unfortunately, the mechanic broke the glass in that mirror in the process of opening it. A few days later, I had a new glass (probably plastic, really) fitted free of charge as one would expect. No problems since then.

On a rare occasion, the window in the backdoor ion the passenger's side doesn't react to inputs. I have to turn off the hybrid system and turn it back on and it works again. This happens without me or my son having opened any doors before wanting to adjust the window.

Yesterday I noticed the big rubber seal in the backdoor passenger's side was loose / had come undone and was all over the place (several inches of air between it and the edge of the door).. Only held in place very few places. Went to Toyota and they said this could happen but isn't normal. The seal was put back in place and three pieces of strategically placed dual sided tape is not holding it in place.

And then finally: today I went shopping and when I returned to my car in the parking lot, got in and fired up the system... I had no lights or indications whatsoever regarding the car's "Ready" status other gear lever. It wasn't just the green light indicating the selected gear which had gone. All information as to "Ready" and the gears was blacked out! I've never seen this before. The car drove normally though. I went to another shop and when I parked there, I switched of the system and turned it back on to check - and everything was normal! Coming home, I powered down and up a couple of times again to check and everything was normal - every time.

Now, whilst these things, to some may be insignificant, I must say that my Auris has had more of these faults than my previous 2006 Suzuki Swift 1.3 CLA with a semi auto clutch system.

It doesn't exactly inspire confidence in Toyota quality imo.

My Swift developed gearbox problems at 6-7 years and only 21,700 miles though and when I traded it in for the Auris at 7 years and 28,000 miles, the gearbox was highly unreliable and every time I needed to use the car, whether or not it would start up was a gamble (the gear lever needed to be in N for the car to start, and the fault caused the car to not registrate N position correctly).

In addition, I had the front bushing changed although I think I was to blame for that (didn't notice a VERY steep speed bump before it was to late with too much speed.

I have taken a strong liking to the new Corolla Hybrid TS and whilst the cabin quality is definitely miles ahead of the scratchy toy-like cabin in my Auris, I can't help think that the above faults isn't what I expect Toyota quality to be like...

• Like 1

It's an older car, the problems are insignificant tbh just normal use and wear, no matter the marque all cars have issues, modern cars have more electronics, so more to go wrong just a fact of life - if you want a bad car look at Renault or Dacia of the same age

If the car hasn't been used due to recent events the 12V Battery will be low, and the car just needs a run and/or the Battery charging, 7-10 years is about the end of life of the AGM Battery

https://blog.toyota.co.uk/coronavirus-toyota-hybrid-car-maintenance

It has been used frequently, including 4 x 71 miles runs within the last month and a half...

With more and more electronics being packed in car, such weird glitches are to be expected, but luckily they just come and go, unlike mechanical issues.

I too am not too delighted with the quality compared to Mazda 3 i had before, the Auris required more maintenance to be done to it, but still, i know there are much worse cars out there, and the car is a money pit in the end.

Main point thing is, has the car left you stranded somewhere, or not? The issues you had were not critical in any means, and come and go during the lifetime of the car.

I think it's unfair to compare a car tighly packed with electronics, to something i would say is 1 generation behind, the Suzuki, which was more mechanical, but to each their own.

As Flash says, may be time for a new 12v Battery, especially if it's the original

I think you're being a bit harsh, that's near perfect reliability. After 7 years it's likely the 12V Battery is on the way out, which likely explains the odd electrical glitch recently. 

on my last lexus is300h i had a wierd creaking noise from the ventilation system

it needed a whole new ventilation system to be fitted,and the whole dashboard to be removed

it first happened at 30 months old so not an old car you wouldnt expect it from a lexus

but there again it hasnt stopped me from buying another with them being such great cars

At the end of the day if you're that unhappy with the perceived quality, go for something else. The choice is yours to make.

13 hours ago, MagicBoy said:

I think you're being a bit harsh, that's near perfect reliability. After 7 years it's likely the 12V battery is on the way out, which likely explains the odd electrical glitch recently. 

I realize they are perhaps not MAJOR things. Whilst I appreciate that the car is not new anymore, considering the low mileage, I'd say it's a bit early for the 12 volt to give up?

A lot of very short runs but, as stated above also motorway runs every month, which I would expect keep the 12 volt happy?

Also, keep in mind that whilst almiost 7 years of age, the mileage is low at 43,700 (US Statute)

8 hours ago, eygo said:

on my last lexus is300h i had a wierd creaking noise from the ventilation system

it needed a whole new ventilation system to be fitted,and the whole dashboard to be removed

it first happened at 30 months old so not an old car you wouldnt expect it from a lexus

but there again it hasnt stopped me from buying another with them being such great cars

At 30 months old, I take it, it was a warranty repair?

That reminds me; for a couple of years now, I have hd a weird low "ticking" noise. Predominantly in the morning, when the car is cold and it usually goes away later (as the car gets warmer). It sounds as if it could be a small plastic part within the ventilation system "ticking over" or something. These days I've just gotten used to it. The ventilation and AC system works perfectly, so I guess it's nothing, really.

here is a video of the noise i had ,it only happened when you raised the temp for the 1st time in the morning

but still very annoying.

The one at 18-20 seconds sounding like a sick bird? 😂

1 hour ago, Nicolai said:

considering the low mileage, I'd say it's a bit early for the 12 volt to give up?

I would suggest that the mileage is not relevant. The Battery is 7 years old and has to be getting "tired" now, it's lasted very well really. Time for renewal, I suspect.

My car hasn't done much mileage but at nearly six years old I tested the Battery (original Varta) and the performance/condition was "poor". I replaced it, like for like before any potential problems materialised.

1 minute ago, mrpj said:

I would suggest that the mileage is not relevant. The battery is 7 years old and has to be getting "tired" now, it's lasted very well really. Time for renewal, I supect.

i have to agree with you peter

the older you get the less energy you have

Another positive: I still haven't needed pads or discs changed. Although I realize that the heavier Hybrids are well known for long lasting brakes.

Just now, eygo said:

the older you get the less energy you have

I resemble that remark!:laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had a newish Audi once where occasionally when turning on the heated mirror function doesn't heat the mirror, nothing happens. This can be very annoying if on the highway. Turning the engine off and on again solve the problem, glitches. 

As others said, while the problems u had can be very annoying, it's nothing major to worry too much about. 7 years is a good life of a car Battery. Can run a voltage test to see the condition of the Battery

Screenshot_20200507-103936.jpeg

8 hours ago, Nicolai said:

I realize they are perhaps not MAJOR things. Whilst I appreciate that the car is not new anymore, considering the low mileage, I'd say it's a bit early for the 12 volt to give up?

A lot of very short runs but, as stated above also motorway runs every month, which I would expect keep the 12 volt happy?

It's a small capacity AGM Battery so you can't really compare it to the lead-acid used in a non-Hybrid car. Mileage really isn't that relevant to batteries - they're not a moving mechanical part, it's down to ageing of the chemicals.

I see. Within a year I'll hopefully be granted permission from my municipality  to trade in the Auris for a new car, which will then have to run for 8 years. Hopefully, the Battery will last this long. I have NEVER seen other indications that the Battery is weak. Always starts up immediately. Any warning signs I should watch out for?

The 12v Battery doesn't start the car, it uses the hybrid Battery for that. 12v Battery runs the accessories and more importantly powers up the hybrid computers. So if it gets too low you won't get the ready light. As they're saying to owners in lockdown here in the UK - put the car is in ready mode for 20 minutes a week even if the car doesn't move. The hybrid battery recharges the 12v battery and keeps it topped up if you do this.

They are a lower capacity, but they are a type of deep cycle Battery, Short trips will drag a Battery down especially the way agm type batteries charge then a long journey will "shock" the Battery over time this will cause it to degrade and eventually fail

there is a lot more science behind batteries and their chemical makeup and charging/discharge

AGM - 7-10 years

Lead acid - 5-8 years

of course there are exceptions to that and too many variables to take into account

The issues you have not been insurmountable, I had a car from new at 18 months old it had a windscreen leak and it had to have the interior removed and left for a week to dry out, that was £3k in labour (covered by warranty) but i had to take it back 2 more times for trim and a broken switch, caused by the dealer

I have seen nearly new £70k BMW's with catastrophic engine failure and near new cars burnt to a crisp

edit, that sound is a Toyota thing, even my Yaris does it is the blend door that makes the sound, it's the way the auto climate works

43 minutes ago, MagicBoy said:

The 12v battery doesn't start the car, it uses the hybrid battery for that. 12v battery runs the accessories and more importantly powers up the hybrid computers. So if it gets too low you won't get the ready light. As they're saying to owners in lockdown here in the UK - put the car is in ready mode for 20 minutes a week even if the car doesn't move. The hybrid battery recharges the 12v battery and keeps it topped up if you do this.

I drive almost daily despite the lock down, so I wouldn't think the 12 Volt needs a top up...

10 minutes ago, flash22 said:

They are a lower capacity, but they are a type of deep cycle battery, Short trips will drag a battery down especially the way agm type batteries charge then a long journey will "shock" the battery over time this will cause it to degrade and eventually fail

there is a lot more science behind batteries and their chemical makeup and charging/discharge

AGM - 7-10 years

Lead acid - 5-8 years

of course there are exceptions to that and too many variables to take into account

The issues you have not been insurmountable, I had a car from new at 18 months old it had a windscreen leak and it had to have the interior removed and left for a week to dry out, that was £3k in labour (covered by warranty) but i had to take it back 2 more times for trim and a broken switch, caused by the dealer

I have seen nearly new £70k BMW's with catastrophic engine failure and near new cars burnt to a crisp

edit, that sound is a Toyota thing, even my Yaris does it is the blend door that makes the sound, it's the way the auto climate works

You talking about my ventilation "ticking" sound? Pretty sure that has developed over time and wasn't there from new.

4 minutes ago, Nicolai said:

I drive almost daily despite the lock down, so I wouldn't think the 12 Volt needs a top up...

A 1 mile, couple of minute drive to the shops won't do it.

1 minute ago, MagicBoy said:

A 1 mile, couple of minute drive to the shops won't do it.

I realize that. How about a 4 mile out and 4  mile back?