Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tin-alloy pellets.

peter.ling24@gmail.com

Hi everyone,

Have read with some curiousity, that a full page of a well known weekly classic car paper is advertising a fuel additive (FTC) that claims to:

Removes carbon deposits.

Restores engine efficiency.

Maintains engine efficiency.

And is a permanent one-time treatment.

According to the article, it was used in hurricane fighters on the Russian front and would stop carbon deposits from forming in engines.

It's relatively inexpensive when you consider what other fuel additives you can buy that claim to do a similar thing.

Would appreciate your opinions about this product, perhaps you've used it with positive results?

Thanks

Peter.

Hi Bob,

Appreciate your time to research this topic.

I can remember over 40 years ago fitting a "sparkright" module to my car which had points and condenser.  It supposed to increase the strength of the spark of the spark plugs and improve engine performance. I never ever noticed any difference in performance or starting. I did like the flashing lights though.

One could convince oneself that's the driving experience is better even though perhaps its not. I could be the same with this additive?

Thanks again for your reply.

Peter

The Sparkrite's big plus point was that it removed the highly inductive electrical load of the ignition coil on the points, something that caused arcing and pitting in a short space of time. The points were still needed but they now handled only a small current and so maintained their setting and condition for thousands of miles with little degradation.   

Exactly as Mooly said above, and the extra output of some Sparkrite ignition systems was quoted with numbers to match.  Particularly, if I remember correctly, their top model SX2000, which they described as 'Reactive' discharge, for what it's worth, giving a longer spark duration (2000 microseconds) than the capacitive discharge system (600 microseconds), and a higher spark energy than regular inductive discharge (1500 microseconds), they said.  The dwell time was seriously reduced as well (a good thing if you like revving the nuts off your engine).  Their in-shop demo rig (in a plexiglass bubble) was genuine enough, with the exception of the simulated max. rpms it could reach, which were likely stratospheric.

But I think your original ignition system was generally entirely adequate without it, if it was in good condition and properly adjusted.

But a quick google search on the fuel catalyst quoted threw this article up:-

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/advice/bike-maintenance/does-a-miracle-fuel-additive-really-work

It doesn't look very promising.....

I was intrigued by this and reposted on a boating forum. There were mixed responses. Most (who had not used it themselves) thought this to be a scam but there are a number of these catalytic pellets on the market and some with positive (placebo effect?) reviews.

I

have reposted a couple of more informed posts.

One view

Another "no" from me. In a previous life I worked at a university where one of the thermodynamics lecturers investigated those very items. Absolutely no detectable difference in a Ricardo research engine. No measurable difference in mass after immersion for a protracted period of time in fuel. No discernible evidence of tin in the fuel either. Absolute snake oil (and so are those magic magnets that clip round your fuel line, if you were wondering)!

A different perspective

When I was the biggest selling dealer for the Indian made Royal Enfield motorcycles leaded fuel dissapeared. We stocked and sold plenty of 'Fuel Cat' pellets - recomended them in fact. I suppose on average we sold 50 to 60 Royal Enfield motorcycles each year for twenty years. The machines DID NOT have hardened valve seats until the factory built an export only production line in about 2002. Not every customer, of course, chose to have one, and most were boy's toy's and had little hard use.

It was clear that the machines without a Fuel Cat required more valve adjustments, the exhaust valve going tight as the seat wore down.

Purely empirical, no scientific data, but the difference was clear.

Tight valves and seat wear was what our customers were concerned about. As the Fuel Cat said it would pay to rectify engines that were so affected if using Fuel Cat, it was a no brainer to drop one in the tank at about £30.00 a pop!

That Fuel Cat guarantee was never invoked by us. I always had half a dozen in stock and sent them worldwide by mail order regularly.

There might be sceptics, but in the real world it worked for our customers.

In fact, the claims made were found to be true in use. Over a twenty year period where my business was new Royal Enfield motorcycles and classic, Vintage and Veteran motorcycles, many with valves seating directly into softish cast iron we never experience a burned or sunk valve problem with an engine using Fuel Cat. We did with a couple without Fuel Cat, but only a couple.

True knowlege is the product of direct experience.

Not so clear cut as being a scam perhaps. I also note that some pellets claim to compensate for no lead in the petrol for engine which need the lead additive.

Thanks everyone for your comments and research.

Clearly, we have some very knowledgeable entethusiasts on this forum.

In my opinion, the jury is still out on this one. 

Automotive ignition technology over the years has certainly changed radically. 

I suppose with regard to the fuel additive one way is to try it and see.  And yet, my avensis is running beautifully and am satisfied with its performance.                                 

Thanks again to all who have replied.                                                                           

Regards Peter.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links