Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Emergency spare for Corolla

RabButler

Posting this a second time as the first attempt appears to have gone down the plughole.

Had my first puncture in years on Friday (8th May). Car hadn't been used for a couple  of days and the rear tyre was completely flat. The good news was that the tyre pressure alert system worked. I pumped the tyre back up and drove from Tewkesbury to Cheltenham where Formula 1 removed the screw and repaired the tyre while I queued at Sainsburys.  The worrying aspect is that had I been somewhere other than home or pumping up the tyre had been insufficient to get me to the tyre place, I would have had to use the TRK and that would have written off a tyre after only 2700 miles. So, I took all the gubbins out of the boot and looked at the 'wheel well'. There is a captive nut to take a securing bolt, but the well looks very shallow even for a temporary spare wheel.  I googled Corolla emergency spare and as a result have the following questions:

1. I have 16" wheels. Do I need the 17" spare?

2. Does the spare fit under the flimsy boot mat or is a special boot floor required?

2. Has anyone actually fitted an emergency spare to a 1.8 Corolla Hybrid hatchback?

We chose the 1.8 over the 2.0 because we needed the larger boot. I would not be keen to compromise the boot space by having to raise the boot floor and I know that punctures are few and far between(!), but I am now slightly nervous of getting stranded in the current lockdown period if I get another screw in a tyre.

Looking at your posts going back to February 3rd, the only post/topic re an emergency spare is this one.

Yes. I pressed 'post' but didn't wait to see if it did before returning to the topic listing. 

Have a look at the following topic, especially Devon Aygo's post of 19th April re the raised boot floor:

Many thanks.

On 5/10/2020 at 7:58 PM, RabButler said:

Posting this a second time as the first attempt appears to have gone down the plughole.

Had my first puncture in years on Friday (8th May). Car hadn't been used for a couple  of days and the rear tyre was completely flat. The good news was that the tyre pressure alert system worked. I pumped the tyre back up and drove from Tewkesbury to Cheltenham where Formula 1 removed the screw and repaired the tyre while I queued at Sainsburys.  The worrying aspect is that had I been somewhere other than home or pumping up the tyre had been insufficient to get me to the tyre place, I would have had to use the TRK and that would have written off a tyre after only 2700 miles. So, I took all the gubbins out of the boot and looked at the 'wheel well'. There is a captive nut to take a securing bolt, but the well looks very shallow even for a temporary spare wheel.  I googled Corolla emergency spare and as a result have the following questions:

1. I have 16" wheels. Do I need the 17" spare?

2. Does the spare fit under the flimsy boot mat or is a special boot floor required?

2. Has anyone actually fitted an emergency spare to a 1.8 Corolla Hybrid hatchback?

We chose the 1.8 over the 2.0 because we needed the larger boot. I would not be keen to compromise the boot space by having to raise the boot floor and I know that punctures are few and far between(!), but I am now slightly nervous of getting stranded in the current lockdown period if I get another screw in a tyre.

I see you have been linked to a post with the part numbers, just to confirm you need to order both part numbers:

Parts for a 1.8 HB Install:

GBNGA-SPARE-CO wheel & tyre kit £100+ vat

GBNGA-SPARE-C1 fittings, trims, tools £340 + vat

1. The spare is a 17" space saver but the diameter is very close to the standard 16,17,18" wheels so suits all Corolla

2. No the kit includes both side trims , floor trims etc and makes the boot the same style as the 2.0 with a raised floor with wheel and cubby underneath

3. Not seen it done yet but only tools needed are screws drivers and small socket set.

• Like 1

Raising the boot floor by six inches is a big compromise, never mind the £500 to do it. How do you secure the road wheel you have replaced with the space saver?

Does this help?

On 5/12/2020 at 5:25 PM, RabButler said:

I presume this is the boot kit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2r60YLBUrg

Yep with the Spare wheel kit installed your boot will look very similar to this

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with my 2017 Prius on 17"

as I had a space saver from my Gen 3 Prius, I placed this in the wheel well, and then used 4 pieces of evenly spaced out square wood block from the shed to support the plastic boot floor.....this also sits on the space saver for support

it all works well, although not totally flat, but good enough to drive down to Spain with a full boot and bikes on the tow bar

image.jpeg

Hoping to collect my new Corolla Touring Design towards the end of June. Car comes with TRK as there is no SS spare wheel option on the Design configuration for some reason.

Anyway, I fully intend to obtain a Toyota SS wheel from Fleabay or a steel wheel along with a genuine Toyota jack and reconfigure the boot myself. I went through the same exercise with my wife's Civic fabricating a new wheel cover, using automotive carpeting available online. The reason for going through this painful exercise was due to a colleague of mine, with his family, being stranded in France on a Saturday afternoon with a damaged tyre and a useless TRK. Yep you guessed it, Monday before it was sorted!

I fully accept punctures are rare but a major inconvenience without a spare wheel.

I'll try to update this post in a couple of months with some pics.

Stay safe!

Does only a space saver spare wheel fit or can a normal wheel also fit in the wheel well?

Hi KC, Don't know yet but suspect Space Saver will fit and full size steel would require a raised floor. As soon as I've modified the car I'll post pics.

• Thanks 1