Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Warning light

Swerve74

Whilst driving at a leasurly speed. 55 mph 

The dashboard lite up with the red water warning. I pulled over and noticed that the expansion tank was low and you could see that water had escaped from the tank. Not sure if this is coming out of the small hose next to the cap. Or a pipe under the expansion tank. Any help greatly appreciated.    

Might just need the coolant topping up (once it’s all cooled down!). Or is this happening frequently? No crusty residue around expansion tank joints/hoses? Engine temp been ok?

It first started when I had problems with the check hybrid system warning message. I took it to the dealer and they reset the system and eventually after another visit they diagnosed hybrid Battery failure. They changed all hybrid batteries under the back seats under the yearly hybrid insurance check guarantee. But since then I've been driving very carefully as this message seems to come on when I'm accelerating hard. 

Hmmm another culprit (had it happen on my old Seat TDi) was a loss of coolant once engine was up to temp due to the expansion tank cap not doing its job properly. This left streaks of dried coolant running down from the cap itself. Hopefully it’s something simple and easily replaced. 

Thanks I'm going to get the engine upto temperature tomorrow and see if I can find any leaks. Thanks again. 

No problem. Pop the bonnet and visually inspect around the reservoir for trickles / crust from the coolant after you’ve had a good drive about.

DONT take the cap off though while the temp is still hot. Fingers crossed for you.

This morning I started the car and kept the engine running until the fans kicked in.  I Waited about 5 minutes with the engine still running and the red warning came on.Ive since Been out in the car today and kept the heaters on hot and no problems. 

Overheat warning light is a Strong tell tale of a failed/failing electric engine water pump, if the light is Red you should stop the car as soon as safe and not continue driving, give your dealer a call we have started opening from Today

Is this a hybrid? If so the inverter cooling system is totally separate from the engine cooling system so that would cause check hybrid messages. Coolant needs to be there and circulating properly 

Have just had the car on the diagnostic and the fault seems to be with the hybrid auxiliary pump. Would this affect the engine water system as I had lost water from the engine expansion tank. ??????

No, it's a completely separate system