Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Want to buy - Aygo - Black

Uncle Satan

Hi. I am looking for an Aygop in black. Budget £1000 - £1500 :(.

Thanks upfront.

Uncle

Yes, just thought people enthusiastic about these cars may have them in better or at least honest state. Thanks.

Well people bend the truth no matter private or trade sales there are plenty of Aygo's around just shop until you find one to fit your requirements, at that sort of money you are looking at used and abused cars, give it a good look under and over, press every button and twist every knob, when you go to see it make sure the engine is cold, take a torch to look down into the engine bay, around the brakes and suspension

I wouldn't worry about service stamps, just make sure it has paperwork for parts/labour and both keys

A HPI check is well worth the £20 to make sure it hasn't got any finance or logbook loans against it

• Like 2

Thank you flash22.

I was going to see a 2011 model with satnav. 120k miles and seller tells me only the body is in bad shape and that's the reason for low price of £1400.

Too good to be true right?

😕

Will keep at it and come back here once I'm comfortably [ 6ft3in ] in my own.

For £1400 you should be able find a good example with a lot less mileage. Don't forget to check the boot for wet carpets. Leaks are common on the Aygo. Good luck and hope you find a good one. Great little cars. 🙂

• Like 1

Be wary of cars with suspiciously low mileage, like one that's 10 years old and has only done about 4k or less.

• Like 1

I went to see it. Not the colour I wanted, body all dinged up, but I'm okay with all that as quite desperate to get mobile after my crap volvo got written off by an uninsured driver and now the virus... Plus I think I can work on these dings over time.

What worried me and prevented from buying was that when car got started it sounded like a tiny diesel engine on idle [ apparently normal ? ] but was also loud and was making some kind of a ticking noise from the front, metallic sounding if that makes sense. Took my torchlight under the hood and on the left side a wire with a white plug was drenched in a thick, black fluid that I assumed to be oil. Rims were in horrible condition, I mean... scary. The front bumper very flimsy if shaken by hand. Trim missing from it.

If it wasn't for the engine though, I'd be making him an offer, because all the rest I know how to fix [ more or less ].

Search goes on I guess :(. Shame. This is the only 2011 I could find in that price, mileage at 111k and got satnav and aircon.

Thanks for your help guys!

edit: I'm still considering making an offer but at half the asking price and making it a project, £100 at a time... or am I deluded? 😄

It sounds like its been trashed - rattling with a metallic noise is the timing chain and valve gear, - replace the engine while your in there do the clutch your into 7-800 at that point, if its got a newish mot I doubt it's a legit one

I would check its MOT history and see how much work it has had done to get it through

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

• Like 2

Would this be expensive to fix? I really like it, even though it isn't black.

Mot history shows oil leak in 2017, but since then, just tyres.

p.s. it also has an aquarium in one of the front lamps 😄, but torch showed no evidence of liquid damage/leaks inside.

I forgot what a chore finding a 2nd hand car can be. Will be looking at peugs and citroens now as well. I'm 6ft3 and I love the car from the first start 😄

My daughter paid £1k for her 2009 which has done 110k miles. Bodywork has the odd paint chip but he'd sprayed the bumper in the wrong shade of red  (claims daughter scratch it badly). Toyota service until 2014 and when the second owner bought it he kept all receipts.  He's done clutch,  brakes, timing chain,  full exhaust and yearly service items. I've just out a new alternator and water pump on. It's not always about low miles but a good honest car. Buy private! 

• Like 2

Thanks gotagetz. I'm not concerned with mileage, just the trim of this car in particular.

I do want to buy private, that's what prompted me to come to this forum. Time is running out before I HAVE to buy something even if dodgy

😄

If it sounds as bad as you say, walk on by. Quite a few on auto trader up to £1500 and 100k miles. 

I got quoted £500max for changing the chain by indep garage...

You only need to change the chain if it's rattling at idle I believe.  Don't get stuck on a black car.

I always check mot history too.

good luck.

Checked history [ above ]. It isn't a rattle, but rather a clicking noise [ ting ting ting ting ting... ekhm.. no other way to describe it, recorded video with my phone ] on idle. It's also fairly loud on idle. Started first time thought and that oil on the left side is worrying me too. I just lost a £4500 volvo that I put £5000 into...

Will be looking elsewhere, but if I won't find anything that catches my eye... I'll offer £800-£850 and try to fix it maybe?

I say never buy the first you look at. Compare a few. Not saying you can’t come back to first viewed.

Dont get hung up on a manufacturers satnav - if it’s out of date and you want it updated it could cost a fair bit. 
Make sure any car has 2 sets of keys. Again, could be costly if only one set and you want a spare.

Sounds like you already know Citroen C1 and Peugeot 107 are essentially the same car built in the same place (Chech republic).

• Like 1

Thanks catlover!

I know I should be more sensible. I just thougth maybe if I buy newer model and fix it up it will last longer as opposed to say 2006... I have no idea by now. eBay only has commercial listings. People tell me I should buy a smart forfour instead and I don't like the costs of maintenance, running and potential repairs...

If only I could cycle to work ;).

Could be the water pump or alternator,  easy to fix.  Noise from front left as you are looking at the engine?

Oil on the left side of the engine, on a wire, couldn't see much more anywhere else. It's strange though as the car clearly was not used or started for considerable amount of time [ spidey webs in engine bay, on mirrors etc.  The seller told me it was never registered with a user [ how did it make 111k miles then ?! ]. The noise I could hear from front-central/central left.

I walked 5 miles back home and on the way spotted a dude sitting in a 2010 black aygo. Came up like a weirdo and asked him about the car. Got a good listen of his engine too.

He was genuinely confused 😄

Someone responded to my ad elsewhere and offered a BLACK! yaris TS 1.8... If it wasnt for the insurance cost difference between it and aygo and the mpgs... I'd probably go for it.

Not sure if I can paste youtube links here, but will [ sorry if nono admin ].

You can hear the same noise in this video if you use headphones. Prenounced inside and just at the end of the video. Is it how it sounds regularly? Listen closely for that ticking sound.

Mine ticks a bit from cold but goes away as it warms up. Nowhere near as loud as the one in the video, though. 

• Like 1