Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Want to buy - Aygo - Black

Uncle Satan

Puglet. I have stories of my own. Previously trader took deposit for a civic. Told me engine cracked during MOT a day before pickup. Wouldn't return my money - small claims/ unresolved.

Couple of days ago trader tells me to pay deposit before he puts an aygo through a 'fresh MOT'... Nope! Then spotted bumpers not alligning, holes etc...

The amount of lying... I understand that people need to make money, but... Wouldn't an honest seller thrive on repeated business? Smaller, but constant margin?

Easy to buy a car from a scammer and I am yet to find a honest mechanic around W. Mids.

Honestly - hoped that someone on the forum might be selling :D.

I started looking at different colours. Also at Peugs and Citrons.

What do you think?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202003108237496?make=PEUGEOT&model=107&sort=price-asc&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=cv13ag&price-to=2500&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&radius=40&page=3

or:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202002207549625?make=TOYOTA&model=AYGO&sort=price-asc&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=cv13ag&price-to=2500&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&radius=40&page=4

and

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-06-REG-TOYOTA-AYGO-1-0-VVT-i-AYGO-BLACK-5dr-ONLY-20-PER-YEAR-TAX/143559451408?hash=item216ccf6310:g:hwcAAOSwmAheeMxM

Thanks Flash, but that's a bit far and a bit... silver 😉 I like it though. The pricInsert other media e and specs are on point. There's just no way for me to travel THAT far.

Knowing the  triplets are all basically the same car, what i have noticed over the years is that Toyota Aygo year on year were a bit more premium in terms spec than the Peugeot 107 or Citroen C1, but they catering for different parts of the market and iirc the Aygo went zero emissions first, had EBD? standard and nicer interior leather bits and better stereo speakers setup, etc. etc. This was reflected in the initial sale price and is usually reflected in 2nd hand prices, but agree with others those Aygo prices are a bit steep, but then depends on demand and where you are, we paid a premium for our 108 cos where we live and I wanted security of a main dealer warranty, but I understood that so had to pay up, but we did have some issues which fair play to the Peugeot dealer sorted without any hassle, so it was worth it and it restored my faith a bit in main dealers after past bad experiences!

Another thing to be aware of, think someone mentioned the mainly rear end water leaks which affect all the triplets, so just check the boot, pull the carpet and check spare wheel well, manufacturers don't seem to learn, cos my Ford Mondeo Mk2 suffered the same 20 years ago, had paddling pool in the spare wheel well, sealing rear lights sorted that!

Also, the kind of mileages you looking at 90K/100K these engines often start using more oil could be piston rings or valve stem seals, but to be fair know many owners hit mileages of 150K+ and more, so they soldier on, but just thought mention it. To be fair it really a city car, so for me engine not really designed to do galactic mileages, but it refreshing to see it can.

• Like 1

Ours suffered from water in the boot easy enough to fix. Common problems I can see are water pump failure as you don't have a gauge only a light and by the time that comes on it could be too late and alternators . Both easy and not expensive jobs. 

Thanks Puglet, gotagetz.

It's a massive dillema for me as this is supposed to be a cheap runaround, before I replace my main car [ and keep the aygo for runs ]. Where I live currently the car would probably get keyed / demirrored soon, so when I think about spending £2k on a so-so , 11-14 year old car... Hard. Saving money is not easy.

Right now I have a choice of:

- 2010 peug 107, black, ac, alloys etc, nice body, 100k miles = £1500 I don't like the look 😞

- 2006 aygo black, 5d, ac, alloys, 105k miles, nice body - £1500

- 2007, aygo silver, 3d, ac, 70k miles, nice body - £1200 - seen brand new alloys for £300 a set, but... silver aygo 😞

or go up to £2k, where aygos are 2007-2008 and similar mileages, so don't see the point really. As per advice I'm not even paying attention to cat N.

Am I pedantic or does uneven fittment of bumpers indicate sketchy history? Seen so many aygos where one side of the bumper fits flush and nice, the other side gap is of various width. Some have gaps under headlights.

So you know where the bumpers meet front wings they use plastic clips to hold bumper on and they often snap, even if you just removing the bumper to do work, so common issue. Not saying car may not had a bash, so again just be aware.

Out of curiosity I had a look auto trader for Aygos in my area using your criteria and I would be in same boat, no black ones about and most have 90/100K+ mileage and about £1200-£1500 pounds for silver Aygos. All the triplets have always been decent money considering what they are, cheap no frills cars, I see your point you could always get a lot more car for less money, but maybe their low road tax, cheap to run and reliability, sometimes the no frills means less to go wrong!, which I love about them, adds to their desirability. As I said the lockdown in March, with new 20 plate really screwed the pooch cos with no new car sales it just stops the flow of cars right thru the car trade chain and even private sellers can't sell either, wierd times.

• Like 1

I tapped my rear bumper on the yaris and popped the bumper out of the brackets, Toyota have redesigned the brackets as its such a common issue, iirc the aygo suffers with the same infliction

I don't see why your fixed on a black car they show every mark and ding, for your budget i would look for a well looked after car rather than colour

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, flash22 said:

I tapped my rear bumper on the yaris and popped the bumper out of the brackets, Toyota have redesigned the brackets as its such a common issue, iirc the aygo suffers with the same infliction

I don't see why your fixed on a black car they show every mark and ding, for your budget i would look for a well looked after car rather than colour

I agree, never liked black cars. They need to be kept perfectly clean otherwise they look awful.

• Like 2

When I was looking for my Auris I didn't want black or white cars.

Didn't want Silver as already had 2 cars in silver. A good colour though for not showing the dirt.

Ended up with Island Blue. It looks great.

I agree. As your on a budget why not just buy on condition, not colour. It would give you more choice.

James.

Toyota2.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you guys.

I don't know enough about cars to know what a good example would be. There are reeeealy clean ones that people just want to sell a bit too much, and have some dubious details about them. Then there are the ones where you can see the use [ paint not ideal, scuffed interior - seat tear on the outside edge ].

I am sticking with aygo because of the cheap running costs [ bar repair/ maintenance which still would probably be 50% of my volv ], but have no idea how to make sure that the 100k miles is in a better state than the 80k one somebody really tries to push on me and lowers price every day.

If you guys are saying that £1500 is a lot for a 100k miles 2006/07 model, maybe I should wait [ until when, 2021? ] or consider a cat N... I could buy a white 2012 cat N with 80k miles for £1700... I just have no idea... Computers are so much simpler... 😕

I know I sound like a challenged one, but... NO CLUE! 😄

All your help is appreciated.

Leaning towards £1200, 2007, 70k miles silver aygo with ac, steelies and [ seems ] impeccable body... Will go and see it.

3 hours ago, Uncle Satan said:

Thank you guys.

Leaning towards £1200, 2007, 70k miles silver aygo with ac, steelies and [ seems ] impeccable body... Will go and see it.

No harm in looking! May get it for 1k cash is king.

Is a Yaris in your price range?

James.

• Like 1

Just becareful with a CAT classified car, maybe ring your insurance to find what loading it would put on your insurance, cos any initial purchase saving could be wiped out by insurance hike, personally I never touched a CAT classified car cos I also worried about future insurance/selling problems. 

Also, remember HPI check, especially nowadays with so many cars on finance, I've always done one cos when I'm shelling out big money on a car, even from a reputable dealer, worth the price of few pints! and having experianced other dealer admin mess-ups over the years, forgetting to do an HPI check probably not beyond them.

Another handy tool is go on the DVLA MOT checker which shows you all old MOTs, passes and fails and what failed on and gives good idea how cared for a car has been and also it documents mileage, so you can verify that as well. 

As you mentioned, you seen a few so far so hopefully got an idea of what is fair wear and tear and what is used and abused, ok the hard interior plastics do scuff and scrap fairly easily, with bodywork being the costliest fixes on any car, again tidy body tells a story. 

Apologies if you know about all the above, but just in case it handy info that helped me in the past.

P.S. With all the discussion on colours, i always like the various Blue colours of Aygos over the years, but funnily enough we have a Red Peugeot 107, but for me it doesn't suit the Aygo, see we all have our funny ways!

• Like 1

gotagetz, that one actually looks ok! but 150 miles one way... whew...

Auris James - I did look at yaris, but the insurance group spike is kinda significant. Wouldn't worry me if it was to be my only car but it won't be for long.

I am set to see the 2007 silver @ £1250 tomorrow. Also got an offer to buy a 2009 with half leathers, alloys, ac, BLACK [ 😄 ] and 89k miles for £1900...

Whichever I choose may be a lemon, so wouldn't it be better to pay less? I'm !Removed! lost.

Puglet, you are right. I should not look even at a CAT car.

I'll report back after looking at some more. Thanks to that at least I know what the engine should sound like. Smooth and quiet :D. Reving when ac on 😄

I'm a fan of lower number of owners probably better. 

Engine running you might hear a tiny tappet noise - that's OK.  If you can get you head in see of the water pump or alternator look like they've been replaced. Easy job but it's bumper off which could explain why some don't seem to fit. My daughters doesn't fit too well. We paid £1k but it had new exhaust, brakes,  timing chain and evidence of a clutch.  Sadly previous owner sprayed bumper on wrong shade or red. Hey go.  

• Like 1

Gotagetz, good find at £1k!

I'll see what I get after looking at a couple more. I started sending out offers.

Been to see the silver one. Looks ok, ac doesn't work, emergency lights intermittent, some gears quite loud when changing stoppped, tiny bit of rust above top door seal driver side.  Engine is clean though...

Called my insurer... Only to be shocked. Paid £650 for my quick volvo. They ask £820 for aygo... Went on gocompare, cheapest is £850 pa... Unbelievable. Beacause someone else smashed into my car?  Ehh... Seems like aygo may be my only car for a while.

In the mean time the black 2006 one got price taken UP ! Called seller, he said expecting more people looking for cars soon, so puts his prices up...

google search: commutiong on rollerblades

• Sad 1

Hi Uncle Satan,

1 hour ago, Uncle Satan said:

In the mean time the black 2006 one got price taken UP ! Called seller, he said expecting more people looking for cars soon, so puts his prices up...

Crikey!!!!   There's a fine line between sharp practice and....At least Richard Turpin wore a mask!!!!   This fella has crossed it so you're as well steering clear of him as he's the sort that give car dealers a bad name....Also profiteering was against the law, last time I looked.

To be honest, Matey, I never thought that your search would be so difficult but don't give up....When you finally get one, you'll find the Aygo fun to drive and full of character.   We've had ours from new, so it's eight years old, next month.....Normally I would have swapped a car by now but our Aygo is part of the family and it's not for sale......So much so that I'm looking into getting the little guy a stainless steel exhaust when these troubling times are over.

Keep searching, all the best and stay safe! :thumbsup:

Edit : Had to change D1ck Turpin to his Sunday name as the word censor kicked in. :blushing::biggrin:

• Like 1

Thanks agent!

I found a really nice 2008 one, from first owner, equipped exactly as I want, low mileage, fsh, silver - £1900... a bit... steep now that I know how much my insurance is going to be #crying

Also emailed offer for 2009 black, again, nice equipment, from trader - he countered with £1900...

It may be my education, but I would've thought that prices would go down during crisis, so that people get rid of the stock that collects dust, time and rust at the lots...

I'm not sure anymore if I want to buy a car for £1000-1500 and pay almost the same [ or more ] for insurance... On the other hand... any other car would have the ins prices go up...

I'm struggling to brain today...

uncle are you a young driver or a newly qualified driver without any no claims as your insurance is very expensive

• Like 1

Good question, Mark ( @eygo ) I was wondering the same thing myself.  The "Triplets" (Aygo, C1, Pug 107) as @Puglet calls them ( I like that :biggrin: ) are just about the cheapest cars to insure.  I'm not boasting but I paid £182, fully comp with no claims protection ( about 10% extra ) included.

Uncle Satan,  try Churchill or Direct Line ( It's the same company but Direct Line are sometimes a tad cheaper).....I stick with Churchill as I have my Home insurance with them but it might be worth getting a quote.

Also, whilst  we're here, I'm sorry Matey but I've lost track of the cars that you are looking at:

2008, Silver £1900

2009, Black, counter offer of £1900

Any chance of a couple of links, please as I seem to have lost track with all the different cars in this thread. :detective: ......Then again, I'm not that bright! :blushing:

As I've said before, don't give up and we're all trying to help......It's just that these times are as new to us as they are to you.

Stay safe and all the best. :thumbsup:

for my 17 plate lexus IS300h F Sport i pay £300 FC and about £400 for the 66 plate toyota auris hybrid (partners car)

My 17 yr old daughter only pays £750 with Churchill.  Confused.com usually works for me.

You'll probably get a discount with a private car sale.  Good luck.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links