Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Charging Yaris battery

gswindale

My wife has a 2015  Petrol Yaris where the Battery has run flat whilst on lockdown.

We have a trickle charger, but I am slightly unsure as to where to connect the cables to to enable it to charge up the Battery.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

• Like 1

I have a trickle charger/maintainer connected to my Battery (2014 1.33l petrol Yaris). CTEK 5 Amp version. Positive(red) of charger to positive (red) terminal on Battery 1st.

Negative (black) of charger to the Battery tray to inner wing securing bolt 2nd. I will take a picture if needed.

It is advised to connect the -ve to chassis rather than directly to the battery in case of sparking. Lead acid batteries emit hydrogen gas potentially!

If the battery has become really flat and depending on how much expect it to have deteriorted considerably.

• Like 2

Hi,

A picture would be great as I also can't see how the cover comes off the red terminal to connect the charger?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gswindale said:

Hi,

A picture would be great as I also can't see how the cover comes off the red terminal to connect the charger?

The red plastic cover unclips and hinges upward...

If the red plastic cover is the same it just pulls up to reveal the terminal. The small protrusion at the front will help. Pull up on that. If I remember correctly it only hinges towards the rear. I have used eyelet permanent connectors, not crocodile type clips. That bolt was convenient, but any unpainted chassis earth should be fine.

CPN beat me to it re the cover.:smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Just to say a quick thanks for your help guys.

Battery appears to have charged, but will find out properly once we can get it and about a bit more!

2 hours ago, gswindale said:

Battery appears to have charged, but will find out properly once we can get it and about a bit more!

Which, following the advice from Toyota would not achieve. i.e. just "run it while parked"!

Good you got it sorted.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Good morning all. I have a new Yaris Hybrid and the 12v Battery is flat. I've removed and charged the Battery and will refit it presently but does anyone know if it's possible to connect a trickle charger to the jump start terminal in the fuse box for the occasional top up? I have a smart charger and it would be convenient to do it this way. Many thanks.

• Like 1

This question has cropped up, with various models of hybrid, plenty of times.

The official Toyota instruction is that you shouldn't attach a Battery charger at the point you mention, you probably are aware of this!

I've not heard of anyone causing a problem by doing so.  I imagine that Toyota will err on the side of caution with their recommendations, not least because they have no control what Battery charger you are going to use (e.g. brand, size, type, model, country of origin, age,  DIY-made(!) etc.).  So they are interested in not being held responsible for people connecting an unknown item onto the car's electrical system, whilst all its ECUs etc. are still attached.  And they remove that risk by giving a blanket 'do not do it'.

The cable to the Battery from the charge point is connected to the fuse box battery feed, and that is fused at 100 or 120 Amps, so that's not a problem.

My opinion is that a 'smart' charger used as per its instructions should be fine.  But I'm always interested in other's thoughts...

Where is the battery on the new Yaris, by the way, is it still under the back seat?

• Like 1

In another thread, I have mentioned that the jump start terminal is only "live" on the front part.  The rear part is not conductive.

So make sure that the +ve croc clip from your charger, is connected so that the part with the cable is in contact with the front part of the terminal.

Do not connect a charger to this terminal if you have just tried to start the car, as the hybrid system may have partially "woken up" and will be looking for lots of Amps to fully start it. You will probably blow the fuse in your charger.

Your charger should also be one that supports AGM batteries.

Geoff

12 hours ago, CbStevie M said:

Good morning all. I have a new Yaris Hybrid and the 12v battery is flat. I've removed and charged the battery and will refit it presently but does anyone know if it's possible to connect a trickle charger to the jump start terminal in the fuse box for the occasional top up? I have a smart charger and it would be convenient to do it this way. Many thanks.

Sorry for asking this, but what are the circumstances that lead to the 12v Battery going flat? 

9 hours ago, Mikw said:

Sorry for asking this, but what are the circumstances that lead to the 12v battery going flat? 

If you have time, read the comments on the following discussion.

https://mag.toyota.co.uk/coronavirus-toyota-hybrid-car-maintenance/

Basically, the 12v batteries are not powerful enough, and there is too much drain on them when not using the car every couple of days.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 4/8/2021 at 5:02 PM, GeoffH said:

In another thread, I have mentioned that the jump start terminal is only "live" on the front part.  The rear part is not conductive.

So make sure that the +ve croc clip from your charger, is connected so that the part with the cable is in contact with the front part of the terminal.

Do not connect a charger to this terminal if you have just tried to start the car, as the hybrid system may have partially "woken up" and will be looking for lots of Amps to fully start it. You will probably blow the fuse in your charger.

Your charger should also be one that supports AGM batteries.

Geoff

This link shows what I meant about connecting the +ve clip correctly   https://youtu.be/M53Hbh5wpRQ?t=1441