Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Break down frequently for not using continuously 4 days

jagadeesh

Hi,

My car is Auris Hybrid 2016 model. I am not able to kick start the car if i did not use the car for 2 to 3 days.I have to hold break and power button for 30 seconds to 90 seconds in order to kick start the car. My car completely broken down on March 16th and AA assistance have tested and confirmed there is no leakage in the Battery. 4 days back i charged the car for 1 hr and try to use the car today but the car has been broken down, when i call toyota care centre ,they suggested I need to follow guidelines, which says that we have to use the car 3 times a week at-least 45 minutes to 1 hr .Staying in London we commute only in weekends and I am not sure how to deal with this situation.I am still under 5 year warranty. Any suggestions how to proceed on this issue.

If the problem is caused through lack of use, it isn't a warranty issue. Have a look at the following topic re Toyota's recommendation for Battery maintenance during lockdown -

That just sounds silly to me.

Not using the car for 2-3 days and it's already not working as it should, just from sitting there, and they also shift the blame to the customer instead of taking responsibility.

It's pretty normal not to use the car for 2-3 days, lockdown or not, so i doubt this is normal.

I'd call them again and ask to fix the car, while you still have the warranty..

• Like 1

If the AA says the 12v Battery is ok then the car has other issue. Perhaps u should make an appointment at earliest possible for Toyota to look into this.

In the meantime start the car every 2 days even if you are not driving, let it run for maybe 20mins to charge the Battery. I don't use my car 5 days at a time for a period and still starts no problem. 

The OP has said that:

a) on March 16th the AA said the Battery displayed no signs of leakage - which was 8 weeks ago

b) the OP charged the Battery for 1 hour four days ago, and tried to start it today.

So between 16th March and four days ago when they charged the Battery for 1 hour, we don't know how the car has been used - whether it has been started every 2/3 days, just at weekends (as they say they only commute at weekends) and what length the commute is, etc.

Perhaps the OP can provide clarification as to how often the car is used, for what length of journey, etc, etc.

I'm with fortula. A Battery should not discharge much in a week or longer, never mind 2/3 days. If the car and/or Battery were older, fair enough. A car's system uses a tiny number of milliamps when asleep.

Toyota's advice is flawed and doesn't take into account the current guidlines from HMG. The Picnic Police would not be amuused. "Just out for a 1 hr drive Constable, Toyota advise it in order to maintain my Battery!"

1 hour ago, mrpj said:

Toyota's advice is flawed and doesn't take into account the current guidlines from HMG. The Picnic Police would not be amuused. "Just out for a 1 hr drive Constable, Toyota advise it in order to maintain my battery!"

It does take into account current COVID-19 guidelines, as they advise running the engine whilst the car is parked.

Eg. "The simplest way to maintain charge in both of these batteries is to simply go through the normal start procedure: press the ‘Start’ button with your foot on the brake and ensure the ‘Ready’ light is illuminated on the dashboard (you don’t have to keep your foot on the brake thereafter, but ensure your vehicle’s transmission is in ‘Park’ and the parking brake is engaged)."

It's possible the Battery is tired, 4 years old isa bit of a short life.  The hybrid system only trickle charges the Battery and would take a long time to recharge a low Battery.  Best put a charger on for a day, suitable for Agm battery. If you have a multimeter, measure voltage at the jump point I think it should be something like 12.8 when car shut down preferably have the battery properly load tested 

On 5/13/2020 at 12:17 PM, Saxmaniac said:

It's possible the battery is tired, 4 years old isa bit of a short life.  The hybrid system only trickle charges the battery and would take a long time to recharge a low battery.  Best put a charger on for a day, suitable for Agm battery. If you have a multimeter, measure voltage at the jump point I think it should be something like 12.8 when car shut down preferably have the battery properly load tested 

This is my record -: My Battery is 13 years old, and I left my car parked in October for ~25 days and it STILL started first time. Battery should be >12.6v in a normal car (not sure about hybrids) and if the car is used for short journeys and not started frequently then it will discharge.

On a related note, if I disconnect the Battery of my auris 2007 will I need to find the radio code for my car or will it remember it?

1 hour ago, ziauris said:

On a related note, if I disconnect the battery of my auris 2007 will I need to find the radio code for my car or will it remember it?

I did it last year, no code, you only lose the radio station preset, need to set clock again and stuff like that.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 12:10 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

It does take into account current COVID-19 guidelines, as they advise running the engine whilst the car is parked.

Which does both the car and the engine no favours at all. It will, in all likelyhood never put back into the Battery what is taken out to start it. So yes, flawed.

3 hours ago, mrpj said:

Which does both the car and the engine no favours at all. It will, in all likelyhood never put back into the battery what is taken out to start it. So yes, flawed.

Irrelevant for the Hybrid that the OP has and the Toyota advice relates to. The ICE is started using the traction Battery not the 12V.

On a hybrid the 12V basically powers up the computers. The traction Battery then recharges the 12V Battery while in Ready mode.