Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Low pressure hose power steering

tmd12

Hi all.

I have owned my carina e 2.0td from new so it's getting on a bit now!

The hose on the low pressure side that connects the power steering bottle to the pump has split and leaks, the hose is formed into a shape to clear the belts etc so a straight bit of hose won't do as it would risk being shredded!

Toyota are shut and I don't think they will have this in stock, any ideas?

I did try pirtek but they can only supply straight lengths of hose.

Could you use a straight section of hose and use heavy duty cable (zip) ties to secure it in place so that it clears any drive belts? 

It might be an worth trying! Sorry I did try to upload an image but it kept failing for some reason. I am going to visit a local mechanic with the failed bit of hose to see if he has something that might work, if not I might get some suitable hose from pirtek and try the cable tie route. I will post an update

Maybe find some local store that has those pipes in stock, some of them are bound to have such bend.

So I spoke to Toyota UK who have the part, but I can't believe they want £45 for a tiny piece of rubber hose. It's really annoying when you know they are charging way over the odds, I might have no choice though.

• Sad 1

Give me a while and i will pull up some part numbers and see if there is an aftermarket item

• Like 1

44406-20670 it's the complete pipe work low pressure return from the pump that's why its £45

Edit. Nothing on the aftermarket, all i can think of is. use 2 bits of hose as couplers and bend up a steel tube or use some hose and bend up a steel or copper tube,  attach the tube to the outside of the pipe so it acts as a brace/form

Thanks very much ! Really appreciate your help.

They quoted part number  44348 20590.

Do you know if it's possible to just buy the end rubber section rather than the whole thing?

Cheers 

That's great, thanks for the ideas. I am going to see a friend of mine who is a mechanic tommorow to see if he can come up with a fix. I will update!

can you pm me you vin

My mistake i was looking at the diagram wrong

49 minutes ago, flash22 said:

I just sent you a PM, not sure I did it correctly though so just let me know if you don't get it!

All sorted ! that's the correct number, earlier part number is 44348-20390 if that's of any use, Your car must be one of the last of the UK built Carina E's (09/1997)

Thanks mate.

Yes it was one of the last Carina's, they built 5 in exactly the same colour and spec as far as I can remember. 

It had electric sunroof and air con which was the height of luxury back then!

Will update you on the fix.

• Like 2

That's really interesting, I had been wondering how many were still on the road.

I need to get this issue on the car sorted and then work out the long term plan for the car. I don't drive many miles now (less than 3000 a year) but the car is still in excellent condition after 20 + years and almost 250,000 miles. The only downside is the road tax is a bit expensive and not far off £300. After having the car from new I am reluctant to let it go but my kids are desperate for something with some more street cred!

VED can be the killer on old motors....

Older car type forums will refer to, essentially the same spec/model, as being 'pre or post' threshold - on a high VED.

Banger status, on a reasonable car + mot, hinges on £150 but not with £300 VED..... Straight into the yards 😞

glad you're sticking with your faithful old hound 😉

2sav

Yes I think I will stick with the old girl for a while! Too many memories tied up in her. My first proper car, I bought her when I graduated University, was my wedding car, and the car my two boys were brought back from hospital in when new born. I have been all over the UK in her fron scotland to Norfolk to great yarmouth so it does become difficult to let go!

• Thanks 1

I visited my mechanic friend and he had a box of hoses from various cars so I managed to find something similar. It fitted on ok so I will just have to see how she goes! I can here some grating noises from the pump so hope I didn't damage that as initially it had an air lock and turning the wheel lock to lock didn't make any difference  until I realised I had to do it with the car off and cap off the reservoir! I will try to upload a photo of the fix.

On update on Toyota customer services. They came back to me when I asked if i could order the part and said it had to be ordered through a dealership who obviously are closed for who knows how long so not much use! They then said they don't actually have any stock of that part in the UK so glad I have hopefully sorted this as I could have been waiting ages.

keep an eye on it, some rubber degrades quickly when used with oil/fluid

turn left to right a full lock a few times that should burp any air out

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

keep an eye on it, some rubber degrades quickly when used with oil/fluid

turn left to right a full lock a few times that should burp any air out

Thanks for the help with this issue. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tmd12 said:

On update on Toyota customer services. They came back to me when I asked if i could order the part and said it had to be ordered through a dealership who obviously are closed for who knows how long so not much use! They then said they don't actually have any stock of that part in the UK so glad I have hopefully sorted this as I could have been waiting ages.

According to Devon Aygo dealerships are opening up this week so you should be able to order stuff.  With my local Toyota dealer I have a service booked for mid June.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links