Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla GR Sport 2.0

Andy P

Just ordered today. Anyone on here got the 2.0 one? Any driving tips to get good MPG and any over info that would help enjoy the car.

When cruising lift off the throttle and gently press back on 

Speed won't decrease but it should switch to electric power 

My gr is due when I get back to work but the above works in my chr and the ct 

The principle of driving a Toyota hybrid is the same for all their cars.  Take a look on You Tube, you will see loads of videos explaining the techniques from a light throttle foot, to the "pulse and glide" technique briefly explained by Malcster above.  Summer weather you will get better mpg then winter. I can see a difference when the outside temperature is above 10 deg C, but better temperatures give better results. Reason being is the computer controls engine temperature, engine will stay warmer longer in the summer heat (basically)

Cheers gents. Im leaving a Arbath 595, im moving and have about a 80 round trip every day so hopefully the GR will be better then my Arbath that thing drinks!

Enjoy the car, I have had my 1.8 Corolla a couple of months and the mpg is amazing - usually in high 60s but can be higher. The real mpg is probably slightly less than this but definitely spending a lot less on fuel and that’s not just down to lower fuel prices. I considered the 2.0 but for me it was about using less fuel and bigger boot space hence chose 1.8

• Like 1

Hi Chris, 

What mileage do you do a week? And how much do you spend. I did consider the 1.8 but coming from my 160 bhp Abarth I didn’t want to drop to much bhp. The boot space isn’t an issue for me. 

I have 2.0 Excel, and bought for the same reason. I previously had a 2.0 SAAB turbo, and did not want to drop down the power ratings too much. The SAAB typically achieved 33 mpg. The Corolla typically achieves about 55 mpg in summer, but last winter dropped to about 46 mpg, had it been a severe winter, no doubt it would drop more.

I have achieved up to 65, it all depends how you drive and what roads you are using.

If I travel 195 miles to see friends in Devon, a mix of motorway and trunk roads, I expect about 54 mpg . I don't flog the car, or attempt to "red line it", but the power is there if you want it!  I have learnt to drive the car smoothly, but I don't obsess about using the hybrid indicator, and worrying if i enter the "power" zone. If I do that and try to drive as if I have an egg between the accelerator and my foot, that is when fuel economy falls. I think the Toyota engineers set up the 2.0 to be driven normally, as just driving smoothly, not aggressively, gives the best economy for me.

You will definitely see a dramatic drop in fuel cost. The sales guy made a bit of a mistake saying "You definitely won't visit the petrol station so much." In fact, I visit almost as much! But the SAAB had a 65 ltr fuel tank, the Corolla has a 43 ltr tank, so a fill up has gone from around £75  to about £45, for me, anyway. You will adapt your driving style to the Corolla, and that will determine how much you want to save. The Corolla does improve as you get beyond 5000 miles and the engine loosens up, plus you learn how to get the best from the car. 

My advice is experiment with the power settings, to see what is best for you, economy vs sportiness. I found that the Eco mode setting is best in town or heavy slow moving traffic. If you use it on the open road, it actually increases fuel consumption. Use normal mode on the open road for best economy, and eco in town. I rarely use Eco at all. Or Sport mode, for that matter.

Compared to the SAAB, it handles very positively. I did have to get used to the low profile tyres, which, by nature of them being low profile, are a bit noisier, and unforgiving of pot holes. 

But a very comfortable drive, totally different experience to a non CVT! I hope you will enjoy, and you made a good choice going for the 2.0 as a step down from your previous car. 

• Like 1

It’s about a 100 mile a week at moment due to lockdown. It costs me less than 10 to fill up as needle hardly moves and that is mainly on 30 mph roads and occasional dual carriageway. I did like the GR model and was tempted but I am sure you will get decent mpg out of it as you can go up to 70 in electric in 2.0 model. I can get up to max around 55 in 1.8. Lovely car to drive and toyota safety sense is great

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the tips, I cannot wait to pick it up. 

My 8000 miles average milage so far is 54,0 mpg. My experiense so far, is that wind resistance gives the difference in mpg. Even very small changes in wind direction gives pretty big changes. 

Next parameter is outside temprature. Cold air is more dense, giving more resistance. When the temprature is above 15 degree C, the car can start and drive without starting the engine. Colder tempratures, and the engine always starts up right away. 

Last major parameter to get proper milage is wheel size and overall quality. Wide sporty tyres usually have higher grip, but also higher rolling resistance. Whats the size on the GR Sport? 

All can anyone tell me if the GR Sport 2.0 comes with these headlights? Bit confused, when you look at all the GRs on YouTube all come with the attached photo when you go on Toyota website it done show these lights.

BB4557DB-9899-459D-9CE6-BFDE24FCB7A2.png

Nope it comes with the basic led headlight as found on icon icon tech and design 

you only get those on the excel 

well thats what we get in uk market anyway 

kinda pisses me off we get **** headlights

and no blind spot monitoring or rear cross traffic assist on any corolla model in the uk 

my older chr had both of these 

• Like 1

Thankfully mines only 6 month lease so I can move on pretty quick 

Thanks for that, I’ve asked them to fit the dual LEDs that the Excel has or I’m cancelling the deal. They are going to chat with the service team and see if they can be added. I need bright headlights! The eyes are not what they use to be lol.

see what they come back with. I my have to go for the Excel if they cannot add them to the GR.

16 hours ago, Andy P said:

Bit confused, when you look at all the GRs on YouTube all come with the attached photo when you go on Toyota website it done show these lights.

Youtube doesn't necessarily reflect specs in different countries - same with any other manufacturer. You need to go by the specific importer's website(s) for your country - in your case Toyota GB.

Thanks for the heads up I’ve noticed this now. I think it’s poor when you are paying this sort of money and the car don’t come with decent headlights. 

hopefully they will sort it out one way or another. If they don’t I’ll buy the Excel 

If they do fit the dual LED headlights, you'll probably need to declare the modification to your insurance company as it will be a change to standard spec of your car. 

Why, when I insure the car I had no idea the spec changed 😉 I wasn’t told the spec by the dealer had changed

• Confused 1

Trust me they won't change them for free 

I work at Toyota and the cost would be in excess of 2k 

I’m not asking for them for free. Like I said if they don’t it’s not a problem I’ll just by the Excel 

3 minutes ago, Andy P said:

Why, when I insure the car I had no idea the spec changed 😉 I wasn’t told the spec by the dealer had changed

Let's say they agree and change them it will be allover the paperwork it happened 

Should you have a bump on the front it would come to light then and either 

A) car would be rebuilt with nondual led as the build spec lists them 

B the modification would come to light then and the insurance could refuse to pay out 

The none dual led is not a bad light when lit it does not look as nice as the excel lamps granted but perfectly adequate for my very rural location when I've borrowed bob basic spec corollas in the past 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Andy P said:

Why, when I insure the car I had no idea the spec changed 😉 I wasn’t told the spec by the dealer had change

Doubt whether the UK spec for the GR Sport was changed.

Doesn't matter whether the dealer informed you of any change, if you alter the spec of your car your insurance will need go know. Whether or not they charge additional premium for the change, is for them to decide.

When you take out or renew insurance you confirm whether or not it has been changed from standard spec, and any deviation from that could be seen as breach of contract.

I don’t see the big problem having different LEDs. I would tell the insurance company. But it’s a small price to pay as in my eyes the car look way better with the dual LEDs and they are much brighter for country lanes where I travel to work.  

9EB37C38-7FCA-422F-B24F-ED1751975185.png

10 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Doubt whether the UK spec for the GR Sport was changed.

Doesn't matter whether the dealer informed you of any change, if you alter the spec of your car your insurance will need go know. Whether or not they charge additional premium for the change, is for them to decide.

When you take out or renew insurance you confirm whether or not it has been changed from standard spec, and any deviation from that could be seen as breach of contract.

Point taken, but when you buy a new car how was I to know the spec of the headlights, as both cars (GR and Excel) Come with LED lights. 

All corolla Come with led 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links