Corolla GR Sport 2.0

Andy P

1 minute ago, Malcster said:

All corolla Come with led 

That’s my point! 

Just now, Andy P said:

That’s my point! 

I understand if I put mods like a new turbo etc but lights! Come on 

Did you order the car over the internet ??

contsct the dealer asking them to hold fire until you can test drive the same headlight model over night 

Just now, Andy P said:

I understand if I put mods like a new turbo etc but lights! Come on 

Any modification from none factory fitted has to be declared chances are it won’t alter premium but insurance will look at any way to prevent having to pay a claim 

Yes I understand, if they do change them I would declare them I would be a fool not too. I just find it odd that the spec for different country’s if different 

The headlights that you see in the picture are the matrix headlights. The excel model comes with the bi-led headlights (you can see them in my profile picture). The matrix headlights have an extra functionality compared to the bi-led's and that is when the high beam is used some very small led's light up parts of the road without blinding other drivers and they will actually continuously change their pattern whenever a vehicle approaches from the opossite side or when there is a car infront of you. Retrofitting them shouldn't be a problem but they will definetly need some sort of software for the high beam function that dealers may not have available. If they do make the change then make a post on this thread since i'm interested in changing my headlights as well lol.

• Like 1

The point is that you're talking about changing the headlight units from single LED to dual LED. The standard UK spec will be single LED headlights, and this is what the insurer will base your cars premium on. Premiums are based on driver circumstances (history, where they live, etc) and repair costs.

If you have an insurance claim which involves replacing one or both headlights, unless the change has been declared, the standard spec lights (ie single LED) will be used. Not rocket science.

10 minutes ago, Andy P said:

Yes I understand, if they do change them I would declare them I would be a fool not too. I just find it odd that the spec for different country’s if different .

The individual importer decides on what specs they sell in their sales area, and this includes what features each spec has. This is no different to any other manufacturer.

So a GR Sport sold in France, may have different features to a GR Sport sold in the UK.

Also different countries can have different names for their specs. For example Irish specs for the hatchback are Luna, Luna Sport, and Sol, and these don't necessarily compare to the UK specs.

Hi King Crimson

i will find out Monday if they will change them. I’ll inform you of the cost if they do it for me.

• Like 1

Having had both a 2.0 Excel HB and Now a 2.0 Design HB the difference between single and dual LED setup is just cosmetics around the Design and DRL setup, having driven both at length in the dark I cannot see any difference in light output at all.

3 hours ago, Andy P said:

I just find it odd that the spec for different country’s if different 

Toyota UK have spec'd the GR below Excel where as the Continent have decided to Spec the GR above Excel, as with everything economics play a big part in deciding how each market will spec/price/position their models, the Continent as a whole buys way more Corollas so economies of scale come to play. The cost of developing additional spec's/options is absorbed by volume of sales, the RHD market is massively smaller and if something needs redesigning/engineering for our smaller market the option is sometimes not to do so.

As for choosing an Excel instead of GR there are both positives and negatives:

Positive

Full Black leather with red inserts

Keyless entry

Blue ambient cabin lighting

Rear passenger air vents

Additional USB in armrest cubby

Can be ordered with JBL

Can be ordered with Panoramic roof

Negative

GR looks better ( subjective i know )

GR scuff plates ( accessory on Excel )

Headup display ( not available on Excel )

Sports 3D TFT dash ( extra function over Excel )

Full comparison of differences attached

comparision.pdf

• Like 2

Great info thanks. If the lights on the GR are LEDs they must be ok. I just like the day time running lights on the Excel better. But hey ho you can’t have it all.

i just hope they are as good as my Audi Xeon lights

They will be better than xenon 

It is better to be straight with insurance companies. Far less hassle. They will always look for any possibility to not pay out or reduce the claim, ignorance is no excuse. If you knew of the modification, that will make you feel even sicker than a pig if you get caught out. Bad enough if you didn't know. Peace of mind is worth more.

More often than not, the premium is not affected, or not by much. But if they think you are deceiving them, it can be in the future.

• Like 2

Hi Timmon

i do agree mate. Can anyone tell me if the GR Sport comes with the JBL sound system? If not what’s the standard one like

Doesn't come with JBL or even as an option 

Depending on how good your ears are like any STD car ice its not bad 

Reading your posts so far I think you might be buying the wrong model excel sound more up your street 

I'm curious how you arrived at the decision to buy a gr sport did you test drive one or did the dealer have chat and steer you towards this model 

Not taking the p155 mate just curious 

It’s lock down mate no dealers are open. But my mate has a standard one, it drives fine. I brought via carwow I got a good deal with my part ex and a good discount on the GR. I like the Ash Grey that why I’ve gone for the GR. 

like I said if the dual LEDs cannot be installed to the GR I’ll buy the Excel. The dealer is coming back to me on Monday so I’ll decide then.

31 minutes ago, Malcster said:

Doesn't come with JBL or even as an option 

Depending on how good your ears are like any STD car ice its not bad 

Reading your posts so far I think you might be buying the wrong model excel sound more up your street 

I'm curious how you arrived at the decision to buy a gr sport did you test drive one or did the dealer have chat and steer you towards this model 

Not taking the p155 mate just curious 

Drove my mates. The reason I looked at the Toyota was due to me moving and the miles I’ll be doing. Didn’t want a petrol or diesel. 

The leather seats are more grey than black and in my opinion are gorgeous, look great with the red and the chrome around the head rests 

I have extra chrome on my Excel courtesy of Amazon. I bought a set of adhesive chrome door handles. I'll admit that I haven't notified my insurers however 🙂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Roger F said:

The leather seats are more grey than black and in my opinion are gorgeous, look great with the red and the chrome around the head rests 

Yes, I'm envious of the 2020 upgrade to full leather. I have part leather, and am slightly nervous the fabric will show marks or wear a bit faster. My last car had full leather, and after 17 years still looked very good.

The only thing I am a bit nervous is that the current trend to polished plastic interior, seems to attract wear. Last year a friends ring scratched the finish around the temperature control, and i note a chip in the plastic at the edge of the centre console where it meets the drivers seat. I don't consider myself a rough user of the interior, and I can't think how that occurred.

It will be interesting to see how the interior polished surfaces wear, and how to hide any scratches that appear

On 5/15/2020 at 3:32 PM, Malcster said:

Trust me they won't change them for free 

I work at Toyota and the cost would be in excess of 2k 

Yeah even on eBay they’re over £600 each for used ones! 

Wonder if op managed to get sorted 

3 hours ago, Malcster said:

Wonder if op managed to get sorted 

Evening all, no light upgrade, I’m happy with the GR anyway don’t see many about. I could of gone for the Badge merc, bmw. But I had a Rav 4 years ago and loved it. 

im sure the lights will be fine. They did through in the protection pack. Happy days mud guard’s 

• 11 months later...

Hi all. It's my first post here. I am choosing between GR sports and active plus (one step lower than GR) trim levels in EU. i could not find much information about the differences of these two levels. Maybe someone can help out to sort some questions i have: 

1. are front seats in GR sports  comfortable enougj for long rides? i'm affraid the recaro-like shape is more "squeezy" so you don't have as much room as in non-GR seats.

2. is the suspension (stiffnes, ground clearance) in GR the same as in lower trim levels? i mean, the GR level is only optical thing, not technological? (i like the look of GR, but i don't want to sacrifice the comfort. Both levels i'm choosing from has 17" wheels) any answers will be much apreciated.

• 1 month later...

Hi  I take delivery of my new Corolla Touring GR 2.0 on Friday 4th June. Ash Grey.  I ordered a Scarlet Flare colour, and was hoping to take delivery last Friday. Toyota decided to upgrade the model. Adding the smart entry it seems.  They are also changing the model number.  This posed me a problem. My car is via the Motability scheme.  This upgrade could affect the price. That means I could have to find additional advance payment on it.  It also could possibly mean it may be dropped from the Motability range if the new pricing pushed it above the level of the cars in the leasing scheme.  So as the dealer had a car in Ash Grey I have opted for that one.   I am really looking forward to getting the car. It will be a complete change to my usual type of car.  Reading what you people have said. makes me sure I have made the right choice.  I will report back

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jon Ben said:

Hi  I take delivery of my new Corolla Touring GR 2.0 on Friday 4th June. Ash Grey.  I ordered a Scarlet Flare colour, and was hoping to take delivery last Friday. Toyota decided to upgrade the model. Adding the smart entry it seems.  They are also changing the model number.  This posed me a problem. My car is via the Motability scheme.  This upgrade could affect the price. That means I could have to find additional advance payment on it.  It also could possibly mean it may be dropped from the Motability range if the new pricing pushed it above the level of the cars in the leasing scheme.  So as the dealer had a car in Ash Grey I have opted for that one.   I am really looking forward to getting the car. It will be a complete change to my usual type of car.  Reading what you people have said. makes me sure I have made the right choice.  I will report back

I’ve just collected mine this weekend, really happy with it so far, it’s so smooth and relaxing to drive. I’m sure you will be pleased with it. Mine is solid white but would have happily gone for Ash grey too. 

14BFD2D7-62E8-4CB1-9B97-DE5F702B62AD.jpeg