Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla GR Sport 2.0

Andy P

Just booked it in to have Alloygators fitted. 18 inch wheels as so easily scuffed by the odd pothole etc.  I have them on all my cars since I was forced into a kerb in my SLK by an idiot in a mini.  Hit him or the kerb.   Its cheaper to replace a gator than have a wheel repaired

Seems that fitting Alloygators to protect the alloy wheels is not permitted by Motability.  Due to the tyre fitters objecting to them.  Goodness knows why.  Once a tyre has been removed. The Gator is binned. Then its down to me to have it replaced.   Strikes me Motability have been influenced by people with no knowledge of Alloygators

Haven’t a clue what they are - but I not influenced anyone.

Might be in the UK only.  Made in Redditch Worcestershire.  I have used them on cars for years.  Well worth the money. Darn sight cheaper than repairing or worse, replacing a machine faced alloy wheel

So I collect my Ash Grey GR.  Happy so far but a few things are not so good  Tyre noise is far more than I expected.  Plus I am disappointed to discover it does not have wireless phone charging. The buttons around the display screen are impossible to read.   I am sure there will be a few more niggling issues.   But it  drives nicely and handles well.   Need a decent trip to find out more about the car.  I think for the price it falls short of some on some of the equipment. 

John, didnt you know what you were getting, did you win the car in a raffle.

I had Alloygators   fitted to my Auris hybrid and wouldn't  recommend them   at all .

At medium speeds they became partially detached from the rims and could have  caused tyre deflation or damage to the wheel arch if not attended to . The tyre fitter that was approved by Alloygator was unable to solve the problem as after refitting the same thing occurred again and  therefore I had them removed . 

Just get tyres with decent rim protection . Alloygators  are not worth  the risk of causing damage to your car or worse still an accident , in my opinion  .

ag1.jpg

ag2.jpg

IMGP0054.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

John, didnt you know what you were getting, did you win the car in a raffle.

No need for sarcasm.   The specifications are not as precise as they might be.  They also vary greatly depending on where you are in Europe. 

9 minutes ago, st901 said:

I had Alloygators   fitted to my Auris hybrid and wouldn't  recommend them   at all .

At medium speeds they became partially detached from the rims and could have  caused tyre deflation or damage to the wheel arch if not attended to . The tyre fitter that was approved by Alloygator was unable to solve the problem as after refitting the same thing occurred again and  therefore I had them removed . 

Just get tyres with decent rim protection . Alloygators  are not worth  the risk of causing damage to your car or worse still an accident , in my opinion  .

ag1.jpg

ag2.jpg

IMGP0054.JPG

I had them on my 3500 cc SLK.  They never became detached on that or any other car I have had them on.  Maybe yours  wernt fitted correctly

1 minute ago, Jon Ben said:

I had them on my 3500 cc SLK.  They never became detached on that or any other car I have had them on.  Maybe yours  wernt fitted correctly

They were fitted  by an installer approved by the manufacture of the  Alloygator product and refitted after the first partial detachment but were still  unsatisfactory . Communications with the manufacture failed to solve the issues I experienced

1 hour ago, Jon Ben said:

No need for sarcasm.   The specifications are not as precise as they might be.  They also vary greatly depending on where you are in Europe. 

Not really meant to be srcastic, more a bit of humour.

But you not the first to receive a car and find it doent meet expectations. More then a few have bought a car with a screen only to find it has not got a sat nav, not realising the screen is used for other 2toys".

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

Not really meant to be srcastic, more a bit of humour.

But you not the first to receive a car and find it doent meet expectations. More then a few have bought a car with a screen only to find it has not got a sat nav, not realising the screen is used for other 2toys".

I just think for a £32,000 car they skimped on a couple of things.  Their website does not give a full spec.  I had to rely on the downloaded PDF which of course covers all models.  Watching dozens of you tube reviews is misleading as most are 2019 models and are from all over Europe. Who get a much hire spec on the same car.   Still  Tomorrow it will have a wireless charging pad. Added by me.   I understand Toyota are "upgrading" the model.  By the addition of smart entry. Hardly a mind blowing upgrade. Just means you dont have to  press the unlock on the key fob.   It ticks most of the boxes and if the computer tells the truth it just returned 41mpg on a 3 mile test drive.  So I expect it to do a lot more on a decent run.

2 hours ago, st901 said:

They were fitted  by an installer approved by the manufacture of the  Alloygator product and refitted after the first partial detachment but were still  unsatisfactory . Communications with the manufacture failed to solve the issues I experienced

I can only say what I found with them  The earlier versions did stick out and could suffer damage if rubbed on a kerb.  The later version is just a half round bead. So less likely to be dislodged.  Mind no I have the car. I am impressed by how the tyre rib protrudes a good half inch outside the rim.  So you would have to rub a kerb pretty hard to hit the rim.   I will still have them fitted IF Motability can be convinced to accept them

2 minutes ago, Jon Ben said:

I just think for a £32,000 car they skimped on a couple of things.  Their website does not give a full spec.  I had to rely on the downloaded PDF which of course covers all models.  Watching dozens of you tube reviews is misleading as most are 2019 models and are from all over Europe. Who get a much hire spec on the same car.   Still  Tomorrow it will have a wireless charging pad. Added by me.   I understand Toyota are "upgrading" the model.  By the addition of smart entry. Hardly a mind blowing upgrade. Just means you dont have to  press the unlock on the key fob.   It ticks most of the boxes and if the computer tells the truth it just returned 41mpg on a 3 mile test drive.  So I expect it to do a lot more on a decent run.

I have to say, it was a niggle of mine when I bought my Corolla 2 years ago (Second service yesterday, doesn't time fly!) that there is so much info out there, that is confusing. Even the UK car mags were discussing features on the Corolla, which were in fact only available in the US.

But feature wise, I find the Corolla has a lot for the money. The big price is really about the Hybrid system, rather than what other features it has or has not.

Once you have had the car for a while, I am sure you will agree it is a great drive. And a safe one, and a reliable one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Timmon said:

I have to say, it was a niggle of mine when I bought my Corolla 2 years ago (Second service yesterday, doesn't time fly!) that there is so much info out there, that is confusing. Even the UK car mags were discussing features on the Corolla, which were in fact only available in the US.

But feature wise, I find the Corolla has a lot for the money. The big price is really about the Hybrid system, rather than what other features it has or has not.

Once you have had the car for a while, I am sure you will agree it is a great drive. And a safe one, and a reliable one. 

Well so far I do find it a decent drive.  I have a hearing problem  I am totally deaf in my left ear and a partial loss in my right.  I cant decide if its tyre noise on some road surfaces or if there is a vibration past 30 mph.  I will wait until my son in law drives it and see what he thinks.   I think the head up display is really a good feature.  Extra on some BMW's at over £1000.   It is a bit of a guilt trip though when you see the green bar going past the economy level LOL.   Having just got out of big SUV. The handling and steering is a vast improvement.   The Tucson tends to need constant minute steering corrections.  Probably down to the 19 inch full profile tyres.    Will get some mixed driving next week. Looking forward to that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jon Ben said:

https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/corolla-touring-sports/features-and-specs/grade=9c27130d-edee-4f58-bf68-44f179f61662|bodytype=4045302a-5701-44a0-bceb-a160f390a68b|etw=M20A-FXS-20H--178ECVT2WD#

Just checked and clearly doesn't state wireless charging!

Well I am not going to make an issue of it.  But OI still think a 2021 car of this price bracket should have the facility

Thing is Jon, you want wireless charging as standard, someone else wants another feature as standard, another owners wants something else as standard. The cost goes up all the time and then the grumbles start - why am I paying for all these things I don’t want. Someone at the manufacturer has to make a decision out of all the extra available, what gets added as standard and therefore charged for.  My Prius has cordless charging, no use to me, for one the phone of my choice is not wireless charging, and even if it was it wouldn’t work as I keep the phone in a case (for the phone protection against scratching or dropping). So I paid for a feature I no interest in - but that was my decision to buy the car, which I love.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Catlover said:

Thing is Jon, you want wireless charging as standard, someone else wants another feature as standard, another owners wants something else as standard. The cost goes up all the time and then the grumbles start - why am I paying for all these things I don’t want. Someone at the manufacturer has to make a decision out of all the extra available, what gets added as standard and therefore charged for.  My Prius has cordless charging, no use to me, for one the phone of my choice is not wireless charging, and even if it was it wouldn’t work as I keep the phone in a case (for the phone protection against scratching or dropping). So I paid for a feature I no interest in - but that was my decision to buy the car, which I love.

I just got out of my Hyundai Tucson yesterday.  Price on the road about the same as the Corolla GR 2.0.  There were no optional extras on the car.  They were all standard.  All four seats heated. Front 2 were also ventilated for summer cold air.  Full length sliding roof.  Blind spot warnings.  Front facing camera for manoeuvring.  It had just about every conceivable extra as standard.   The only reason I changed it was due to my wife's disability in getting in and out of it, as it was so high off the ground.  I could have gone for the Skoda Octavia. which does offer more.  But I like the design of the Corolla. I like the hybrid facility and I also like the fact its made in Derbyshire.   I just think they have been a bit stingy on a couple of things.  Its hardly a bottom of the range model.  It is also a lot noisier than I expected.  I think its tyre noise. But might be a vibration.  Cant tell until I get someone else to drive it.

Tyre noise - I think because the cabin is so quite, whether the engine is running or not, it seems to accentuate tyre noise. You may already have come across many types of road surfaces, there is at least one that is really quite and it seems you floating along. Be nice if all roads are like that. I don’t know what the coefficient of friction is like on the quiet road surface compared to a noisy road surface,  or the cost - would be interesting to know.

so, you have the estate. I think that is much better looking then the hatch. The wheelbase and overall length is greater then the hatch too. The TS wheelbase is same as my Prius, I think the hatch will be the same WBase as the outgoing Auris.

The engine for the uk built Corolla are manufactured in Queensfarry, North Wales, just about a mile away from my local Toyota dealer/service centre, then transported to Derbyshire for the assembly.

• Like 1

John Ben,

Have a look at the latest posts regarding tyre noise in the topic Toyota Corolla Sound Insulation.

• Like 1

Tyre noise could be because of the wrong pressures, dealers tend to over pressure the tyres most of the time by a lot. Recent new car delivery just proved that, 3.1 bars against 2.5.🤭, best to get it check properly in the morning with good digital gauge on cold before the car been driven or sun had it seen . I just done that on mine yesterday and such an improvement in noise and quality of the drive, even on smaller wheels with more rubber on them.  Vibrations and bad drive are also possible as a result of over pressure tyres.
👍 Smart entry and push button start it’s absolutely greatest extra and you only can realise that after you get use to and then try a car without that, you will be happy to trade any wireless charging for smart entry. 👌😉🚗

• Like 2

On 6/5/2021 at 1:27 PM, TonyHSD said:

Tyre noise could be because of the wrong pressures, dealers tend to over pressure the tyres most of the time by a lot. Recent new car delivery just proved that, 3.1 bars against 2.5.🤭, best to get it check properly in the morning with good digital gauge on cold before the car been driven or sun had it seen . I just done that on mine yesterday and such an improvement in noise and quality of the drive, even on smaller wheels with more rubber on them.  Vibrations and bad drive are also possible as a result of over pressure tyres.
👍 Smart entry and push button start it’s absolutely greatest extra and you only can realise that after you get use to and then try a car without that, you will be happy to trade any wireless charging for smart entry. 👌😉🚗

The car does have push button start.  The smart entry doesnt bother me. Anything that dispenses with wires get my full support.   Trying to figure out the tyre pressures is the next issue.  Does anyone understand the door pillar sticker?  With one of the numbers are PSI 

26 minutes ago, Jon Ben said:

The car does have push button start.  The smart entry doesnt bother me. Anything that dispenses with wires get my full support.   Trying to figure out the tyre pressures is the next issue.  Does anyone understand the door pillar sticker?  With one of the numbers are PSI 

Sorted  33 and 31   they are spot on 🙂

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links