Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speedo dropped to KM/HR

firstwoodie@gmail.com

i bought a Jap import Prius Synergy 2010 and managed to soyrce a sat nav unit in English. The car has been faultless until lately. While standing due to lockdown and shielding it is suddenly reading Km/ not MPH. I've found help by Googling but non of these work. TRIP/TRIP/ODO and HOLD should cause it to alternate but it won't. There are no hidden buttons etc and it was working until it's been standing for a few weeks. Any help would be appreciated as at 78 and alone I'm no longer at my best.

Moved to the Prius club.

There is normally a large button to change the speedometer units to the bottom right of the steering wheel (next to mirror adjustment, instrument cluster light control, etc.) - but this is only normally present on cars sold in certain markets e.g. UK, Ireland, maybe Canada? A Japanese spec Prius would not normally have this button, and would have been changed to MPH by other means by whoever prepared the car for sale in the UK - either that or the button has been retrofitted.

On 5/16/2020 at 6:13 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Moved to the Prius club.

On 5/16/2020 at 6:13 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Moved to the Prius club.

You are correct there is no button> I've been advised to get a diagnostic check done which might allow mph be restored

I don't know how it would have been done in the first place.  Those settings are set at the factory dependant on the the market into which it will be sold.

It is not able to be changed, without replacing a significant amount of parts.  I would have thought a grey market import of a JDM would need to be changed so that the units display is able to be changed by the user for MPH in the UK and km/h for driving in EU, like the local Prius are.

That is how it is for Gen II, maybe it is different for Gen III?

hI, It read MPH until a few weeks ago but has stood for a while [shielding]

17 hours ago, Joseph D said:

I don't know how it would have been done in the first place.  Those settings are set at the factory dependant on the the market into which it will be sold.

The firmware can be re-flashed to that from different markets, there are people who provide these conversions as a service in places where used Japanese cars are commonly imported (UK, Ireland, NZ, etc.). On the Gen 3 the only problem is the instant fuel economy meter will display the wrong unit legend as the "km/l" segment is fixed on the VFD even if it's been converted to display MPG or l/100km (whereas both "MPH" and "km/h" segments are present for the speedo).

The hardware doesn't need to be replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a jap import prius 2010 and during the lockdown the it dropped from mph to kmphour I've googled it but to no avail as the way given to change it don't seem to work. Can any one help?

Duplicate topics merged

It's a long shot but have you tried asking uk companies who import Japanese vehicles and adapt them for the uk market?  One i know of is eco campers who import toyota hybrid alphards and kit them out as camper vans for the uk.

https://www.ecocampers.com/

• 9 months later...
On 5/16/2020 at 4:34 PM, firstwoodie@gmail.com said:

i bought a Jap import Prius Synergy 2010 and managed to soyrce a sat nav unit in English. The car has been faultless until lately. While standing due to lockdown and shielding it is suddenly reading Km/ not MPH. I've found help by Googling but non of these work. TRIP/TRIP/ODO and HOLD should cause it to alternate but it won't. There are no hidden buttons etc and it was working until it's been standing for a few weeks. Any help would be appreciated as at 78 and alone I'm no longer at my best.

There is a setting in the nav menu where you can select kmh/mph as well as the button on the console