Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis 2002 (estate model) starting problems

Maor S.

Hi guys!

I wanted to ask you a question about a weird problem we are having in our old but very good car. 

After years of working just fine, in the past couple of weeks it randomly stopped starting, with no obvious reason. What happend is I drove the car, went to a shop for about half an hour, but when I came back to the parking spot it just won't start. Battery was fine (5 months old, had almost full charge, and radio, AC and lights worked just fine), so cables didn't help. We called for road services, and they checked those things:

- Electric fuses 

- Gas pump (only checked if it's working or not by sound, the guy said it sounded great)

- Carburetor (the guy inserted some liquid inside, we pressed on the gas paddle, the car started for a moment but then stopped)

- The key itself (said it was great)

- The starting mechanism (checked by sound, same as the gas pump)

After all of these checks, we decided to tow the car to the garage. It was weekend, so the mechanic came to check the car 2 days after it arrived. When he tried to start the car, it just started, as allways. He waited for couple of days and tryed to start it and drive it evrey few hours, but it allways worked, so he gave us back the car saying it was fine. After a few days of using the car as we allways used it, and after parking for couple of hours, it suddenly stopped starting again! We decided to wait couple of days, and again, after 2 days of resting it started again (we tried to start it on the next day as well, but it hasn't start...). The guy in the garage has no clue about what the problem could be, and he only offerd to start replace all of the parts, one part at a time, but he said it would be very expensive, probably way more from the car value...

So my question is, does anyone had this kind of problem with this model? Any one has a clue about what the problem could be?

I thought it might be the gas pipes inside the car wich could be blocked, but the mechanic told me it's "very unlikely". Anyway, I thank you all in advance, and all sort of help would be much appreciated! 🙂

Properly check the fuel pump operation and pressure, also the fuel filter could need a change. You cannot reliably check a starter motor or fuel pump just by listening to them. If those parts are okay, the injectors may need attention. As to clogged fuel lines, my sister and brother-in-law had a Datsun Sunny, many years back. It had rust scales and flakes inside the fuel line which would randomly block the line and the filter, and prevent it from starting or running. So blocked fuel lines may be unlikely, but don't rule them out until you check.

So in summary of what's happened , and what's been checked, you're saying that at random the car just won't.  When this happens, is the starter motor turning the engine over when you turn the key?  If not, are you getting a click from the solenoid (not always easy to hear), which I guess is mounted on top of the starter motor?

From my understanding of what you've said, I'd first suspect the starter motor.  The brushes wear over time, and I've had experience of a starter motor which began to play up, not spinning the engine from time to time.  A few turns of the ignition key and it would then decide to spin the engine.  I swapped the starter, which included the solenoid, and no further problems.  Could it be as simple as the ignition switch?

2 hours ago, Maor S. said:

- Carburetor (the guy inserted some liquid inside, we pressed on the gas paddle, the car started for a moment but then stopped)

On a 2002 Avensis?

That would be the throttle body, at least that is what I assumed when I read the post. I don't think I like the sound of that garage mechanic, though.