Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Not starting

LorrieG

Having huge problem getting in my car or starting it.

I have a two month old Rav4 Excel that has stood in my drive after only one drive in it due to Coronavirus. Every 2 weeks, I have driven it around the block a couple of times just to keep it moving and save tyres going flat from sitting still. Today, I went out to do the same and key fob (and spare) wouldn't open it despite red light blinking to show they're both working.  Got in the car manually and pressed stat button - nothing. Dead as a dodo. How can a brand new car not start after only two weeks sitting still? Steering wheel locked too and no way to move that either. Anyone got any suggestions?

I have no manual, as when they delivered the car that was missing for some reason and they said they'd order one. Then lockdown happened and it never arrived. Garage not answering due to lockdown so no help there either. Can't find an answer on Google - help!

• Like 1

Split into new topic as not related to delivery times, etc.

Phone Toyota Roadside Assistance.

Also see 

You can download a full owners manual from My Toyota either by entering your VIN or doing a generic search: https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme/my-toyota/emanual

Hi, sorry to hear of your problems.

The printed manual is only a cut down version anyway, the main two can be downloaded from the web site: https://www.toyota.com/owners/resources/warranty-owners-manuals

It's possible your drives "round the block" did more harm than good, in that it may not have replaced the energy taken from the 12V Battery to get going.  I ran my RAV4 (and previous Hybrids) for half an hour very 10 days or so during periods of non use, mainly to keep the small Battery topped up.  The engine doesn't have to be running, just the system in READY state - the big Battery charges the little one.

The 12V battery is under the boot floor, but under the bonnet are some jump start terminals, near a fuse box I think.  If you can get hold of someone with a jump starter or jump leads you should be able to get going.  If you do, give the car a good run to recharge the 12V battery.  With luck, it won't have been flat long enough the damage it.

Failing that, you should have a card (or sticker in the car somewhere) with a phone number for Toyota Roadside Assistance.  They just need your reg number and will send the AA.

Hope that helps, please let us know how you get on.

44 minutes ago, PeteB said:

The printed manual is only a cut down version anyway, the main two can be downloaded from the web site: https://www.toyota.com/owners/resources/warranty-owners-manuals

Just be aware that the above would be the US market owners manual, which may differ from the European manual.

• Thanks 1

Oops, good spot, thanks.  I thought I'd got the uk site!

the car will always drain the 12v Battery, what with the keyless entry system waiting to pick up your keyfob, aswell as the alarm system.... short drives don't really do much to charge the 12v Battery up either(not to mention all the interior lights and infotainment system are usually powered by the 12v system, once the car is underway)... i tend to drive it until the engine warms up(temp gauge is at about 1/3), and continue driving for another 5-10 minutes...

oh, and don't forget to run the aircon for at least 10-15 minutes at least once a month....the aircon gas has oil in it which keeps the aircon system lubricated.

Hi all, 
have a look at https://blog.toyota.co.uk/coronavirus-toyota-hybrid-car-maintenance 

Toyota are advising the following, hope this helps

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reassuring news is that no difficult car maintenance is necessary. However, there are some tips that, if followed, can help ensure your Toyota remains in tip-top condition during an extended layoff.

To recap, Toyota hybrids generally contain two batteries: a 12-volt Battery (which powers systems such as the headlamps and audio) and a high-voltage hybrid system Battery (which supplies the power to start the combustion engine and drive the electric motors).

The simplest way to maintain charge in both of these batteries is to simply go through the normal start procedure: press the ‘Start’ button with your foot on the brake and ensure the ‘Ready’ light is illuminated on the dashboard (you don’t have to keep your foot on the brake thereafter, but ensure your vehicle’s transmission is in ‘Park’ and the parking brake is engaged).

We recommend you put the car in ‘Ready’ mode for about 60 minutes before switching it off again and repeat the process at least once a week, providing you can carry out this procedure while adhering to the government’s advice regarding social distancing and Coronavirus (Covid-19). Please do not leave your car unattended when it is in ‘Ready’ mode.

During the time that that car is in ‘Ready’ mode, you may hear and feel the internal combustion engine kick in; this is a normal part of the self-charging process. You might be tempted to switch on the radio to pass the time, or turn on other systems, but bear in mind these will consume small amounts of electrical power so it is preferable to leave them off.

Ensure the handbrake is on; there’s no need to go for a drive, although we must stress that this procedure should take place in a well-ventilated area – something to consider if you park your vehicle in a garage.

There is some slightly incorrect advice in this thread. Once the car is placed in READY mode it doesn't matter whether it actually moves even one inch. The Battery is charging from the traction Battery and if that starts to deplete then the engine will automatically run if necessary ( usually for short periods ). What matters is the time in ready mode, nothing to do with driving fast, slow, or not at all. Make sure that all ancillaries such as air conditioning, fans, radio etc. are off. You may find that later cars will automatically switch off after a certain time ( 30 minutes I think ) so you do need to keep an eye on it.

The alternative is to use a decent battery charger connected to the jump start point inside the fuse box on the right side of the engine bay as seen from the front of the car ( i.e. its on the passenger side of a RHD car). A good quality intelligent charger is recommended and attention should be paid to getting proper connections to the jump start tab and to a good earth point. Dealers that advise against using a charger are somewhat hypocritical because I have seen these in use in dealer showrooms. The charger must be the type which automatically detects charge level and switches to maintenance mode once the Battery is fully charged. These are often labelled as chargers suitable for stop-start cars and for all lead acid battery types. Under no circumstances switch the car on while a charger is connected

I had the issue of a flat Battery as well, due to not running it for long enough. 
Worrying thing in my case, the flat Battery seemed to take the parking brake off as well. 
I needed to get it jump started and had bricks under the rear wheels for a few hours. 

If members are concerned reference the signals from keyfobs at some point maybe contributing to reducing Battery voltage may I suggest putting your key fob into a Faraday bag which stops any signals from the key fob going anywhere. I have been using mine for two years.

15 hours ago, Bob110023 said:

If members are concerned reference the signals from keyfobs at some point maybe contributing to reducing battery voltage may I suggest putting your key fob into a faraday bag which stops any signals from the key fob going anywhere. I have been using mine for two years.

or the 'free' alternative, press and hold the lock button and simultaneously press the unlock button twice, fairly quickly.  The little light will then do a double flash twice and the key goes to 'sleep' (aka Battery save mode).  It also prevents key-less relay theft of the car (but put the spare key to sleep too!).

It does mean to you to wake the key (by pressing any button) up to unlock the car, but I just got into the habit of unlocking with the remote button rather than relying on keyless.

On 5/27/2020 at 6:26 PM, pany said:

I had the issue of a flat battery as well, due to not running it for long enough. 
Worrying thing in my case, the flat battery seemed to take the parking brake off as well. 
I needed to get it jump started and had bricks under the rear wheels for a few hours. 

Provided the gear selector is in park the car should remain mechanically locked by the transmission. If for some reason the car was in neutral this could have contributed to the flat Battery situation ( see owners manual advice about using neutral).

• 2 years later...

My Rav4 discharged the small 12V Battery in one month.

I didn't know that there are two batteries. Actually the car shown level of Battery high enough (like 70% for both displays), but both shown error "cannot connect to hand-brakes" (and there were no way to disable this parking-brakes).

When I left before the car for 3 weeks, I was able to start it. It means that the max time to leave the car without usage is about 2 or 3 weeks, but after month you would need external charger.

I asked someone for help and had wires. It solved the problem and I started the car myself.

It was strange for me that there were no any info messages apart from "cannot connect to parking-brakes". The car is 2020 Rav4 Hybrid (currently about 75000km).

8 hours ago, ATrol said:

My Rav4 discharged the small 12V battery in one month.

I didn't know that there are two batteries. Actually the car shown level of battery high enough (like 70% for both displays), but both shown error "cannot connect to hand-brakes" (and there were no way to disable this parking-brakes).

When I left before the car for 3 weeks, I was able to start it. It means that the max time to leave the car without usage is about 2 or 3 weeks, but after month you would need external charger.

I asked someone for help and had wires. It solved the problem and I started the car myself.

It was strange for me that there were no any info messages apart from "cannot connect to parking-brakes". The car is 2020 Rav4 Hybrid (currently about 75000km).

The 12v Battery discharging has been covered a few times before on the forum and your experience is similar to many others. One solution recommended if you are not going to use the car for any time is to put the car into READY mode for 20 mins which will use the Hybrid Battery to charge the 12V AGM Battery.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links