Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Paint codes and Bumper trim Colours

Mr.Fixit-Norm

Hi Fellow RAV owners,

I haven’t been on for a while but I’m hoping someone can help me.

I need to respray the rear quarter bumpers and the front bumper on my 2001 GX. They’ve got a bit tatty and scratched and as I’ve got a spray gun and compressor and with the warmer weather coming up it seemed like a good idea. My problem is that although I think I know the main body colour which on the plate in the engine bay identifies it as 1D4, which I believe is Titanium Metallic, the bumpers are a darker grey metallic and there doesn’t seem to be a code on the plate for this ☹️

I can’t seem to find anything on the net for the bumper colours. Can anyone ( in the trade? ) help me please.

best regards,

Norm

That question has been asked on here a number of times - you can search for previous posts - but the answer previously given is 196 ...

16 minutes ago, philip42h said:

That question has been asked on here a number of times - you can search for previous posts - but the answer previously given is 196 ...

Apologies Phillip and thanks for the reply. I haven’t used the search system much and couldn’t immediately see where it was ( found it now, hiding under Latest Posts - doh )

Code 196 is listed on a US site as Grey Pearl Metallic but doesn’t appear on the UK supplier I was looking 🙄. As it is 1D4 is called Titanium Metallic in the UK and Pewter silver metallic in the US ! Why they can’t call the same I don’t know ?

Many thanks,

Norm

I thought I’d try the search function, talk about getting confused ! I put in all sorts of different combinations or single words and all I get back is mostly non relevant stuff on all Toyota makes and models ?? I can’t seem to find out how to make the search find the info for RAV4’s only 

I put something like Bumper paint codes and got back everything to do with paint, bumpers and codes ( mostly error ones ) on all models. There must be something I’m doing wrong 🙄

Norm

I know on Fords that I’ve owned that the paint is the same but it looked slightly different on The plastic bumpers. It was talked about it on the Ford forums 

12 hours ago, Mr.Fixit-Norm said:

I thought I’d try the search function, talk about getting confused ! I put in all sorts of different combinations or single words and all I get back is mostly non relevant stuff on all Toyota makes and models ?? I can’t seem to find out how to make the search find the info for RAV4’s only 

I put something like Bumper paint codes and got back everything to do with paint, bumpers and codes ( mostly error ones ) on all models. There must be something I’m doing wrong 🙄

Norm

Yes, searching can be a bit of a dark art ... if you search for "bumper paint" (sic - in quotation marks) and select This Forum you'll find the posts you are, probably, looking for - including your own ... 😉 

1 hour ago, Buff69 said:

I know on Fords that I’ve owned that the paint is the same but it looked slightly different on The plastic bumpers. It was talked about it on the Ford forums 

Yes, different surfaces will affect the final colour. The worst thing in the 70’s were the cheap aftermarket fibreglass wings, they always looked lighter when sprayed if you did them yourself, a lot of people reckoned this was because light could pass through the fibreglass from underneath and affect the colour, the trick apparently was to put a thick coat of bitumen under seal on the underside of the wing. The only fibreglass panel I ever had was a complete front on my old mini, but I found a black primer which worked quite well as I didn’t want to under seal the whole of the underneath !

I’ve noticed over the past 15-20 years that more and more car colours are metallic, probably because they look a bit smarter than flat colours. 

Codes for Mk2 Rav4

Capture.PNG

Always ignore Paint names as they are subject to Marketing trends, always use the codes.

38 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

Codes for Mk2 Rav4

Capture.PNG

Always ignore Paint names as they are subject to Marketing trends, always use the codes.

Thanks for that Lee, handy to have extra confirmation 🙂 I’ll order 1litre from Halfords tomorrow, I’ve used their paint quite a lot now and it seems really good. Our local one used to mix in store and it’s always been a perfect match but they’ve stopped doing that, has to be ordered online and picked up from the store. Takes about 4-5 days 🙁

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links