Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vibration after clutch change

Ben565

So the clutch pedal in my 2012 Aygo had gone very heavy. Suspect probably the pressure plate. Toyota wanted £850 to put a new clutch in so I tried a local independent who did it for £550.

Only now I have some vibration. I notice it around the 70mph mark, I've tried a lower gear, so lower speed but similar revs (between 3-4k) and it doesn't seem as bad. Also seems worse under load. I've also tried dipping the clutch and coasting and that seems to help although I can't be sure.

I feel the vibration through the accelerator pedal and steering wheel. 

I suppose it's possible a wheel weight has come off, but it seems a bit too coincidental this has happened after the clutch was changed. 

Before I take it back, any ideas what the problem might be ? odds are the garage will say can't see anything wrong mate cant feel any vibration.

Initial thoughts are a wheel out of balance. Maybe worth investigating that first.

Yeah I'll see if I can get that done first. I don't think it is because they were recently balanced, and it was fine before it had the clutch done. I'm a bit reluctant to pay for them to be balanced again when there might be nothing wrong with them. 

I know one of the wheels isnt quite round any more, but it should be on the rear.

Edited by Ben565
Updated info

get it back to the garage asap so they know the vibration has been there since the clutch had been replaced to reduce the amount they may try and wriggle out of any responsiblity, maybe email them 1st so you have proof they have been informed then go and see them.

Clutch plate could be slightly off centre possibly. But in meantime check yer wheel weights!

I agree with John. The friction plate could be misaligned with the pressure plate. When I was a mechanic I saw others trying to align these plates up by eye only. This is not a good method as you are looking at the plates from an angle. 

There are clutch alignment tools which should be used when replacing the clutch assembly so perhaps this hasn't been used. 

Wonder why the dealer price has shot up? I looked into dealer clutch replacements a few years ago, just in case, and the cost was something like £600 IIRC. Maybe the OP's quote included flywheel replacement too 😲

Getting the wheel balancing done now. It's on my way home, and also I bet wheel balancing will be the first thing the garage say when I mention vibration. At least now I can say it's been done. And who knows may fix the problem.

I wish I had paid the extra for it to be done at the main dealer now. £850 seemed an awful lot tho. I do wonder if that includes skimming or replacing the flywheel. I suspect probably not. Labour on the clutch is apparantly about 5hrs so at dealer rates. Plus the OEM clutch will be dearer than the LUK one that I have now 

I've been playing around trying different engine rpm 70 in 5th, 70 in 4th etc seeing if it's engine speed or road speed that makes a difference. Difficult to tell really as the roads aren't the best and I think my dampers are past their best too. 

It's a high frequency sort of vibration tho, like holding a pair of hair clipper or a power tool. 

Ok so I'm at my trusted tyre shop now. The slightly buckled wheel which was on the rear. They found it on the front. So hopefully that is the cause of the problem.

They're fitting the balanced wheels to the front and the wonky one at the back where it was before (and not causing a problem) 

I'll report back tomorrow after my trip to work. 

Well, the vibration is still there, although it has changed. 

I no longer get the high frequency vibration through the accelerator pedal. I do still get steering wheel vibration though. 

Tyre shop have balanced all wheels, the slightly buckled one is on the rear where it was before (and not causing a problem) I did go back to them and say, still got the same problem. They just said all wheels were balanced, it must be the buckled one at fault. It can't be though because it's been like it for ages now, on the rear and no problem. Having it on the front undoubtedly contributed to the vibration, but it's not the sole cause of it. 

So it's going back to the garage that did the clutch now. 

Have you got a spare or know someone with a good wheel to replace the buckled one and see if that helps?  Just can't see the garage ripping it all apart that's all.

The garage I went back too re checked the wheel balancing. Front wheels were miles out, so much for the first tyre shop. 

Much better improvement now. Still vibrates though. You know how your hands feel after using a power tool. It feels a bit like that after driving it any distance.

So I think wheel balancing was part of it, but there's something else too. I can't see the garage taking it all apart again either. Could be something transmitting engine vibration. Some more investigation needed

And yes I did think of putting the spare on. I might yet do that and then at least that wheel is eliminated. Although it's been kn for a while with no issues

If it's a decent garage fitting a clutch should be easy.  Can't think what it would be. Maybe they haven't tightened something quite tight enough when they put it back....suspension wise.

Ok so now the wheel balancing is resolved I've discovered a bit more about this vibration which I still have. While stationary I tried different engine revs. 

At around 1,200rpm the vibration is quite low frequency and sends a shudder through the whole car. The steering wheel visibly moves. 

At 2,000rpm the vibration is higher frequency, like holding a pair of hair clippers or a power tool. It makes my fingers go tingly after a bit. 

3,000rpm higher frequency still and less noticable. 

And so on. More convinced now it's a clutch problem. I know these cars are 3 cylinder and a bit off balance anyway, but shouldn't be this bad. 

My wife has a 3 cylinder diesel and it's not smooth at take off. It's certainly imbalanced in lower gears.

I would look over the stuff they removed when changing the clutch. Ive not done one of these but is everything tight such as engine mounts, driveshafts, suspension etc. Is anything vibrating on something it shouldnt? Does the vibration change if you dip the clutch while stationary? Did they refill the gearbox with oil? I was gonna ask how you buckled the wheel and whether something is out of alignment but if it does it stationary its not that.

• 1 year later...

Hello ben565
Did you manage to solve this problem?
I have the same problem too.

On 5/23/2020 at 12:58 PM, gotagetz said: