Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New map update OTA

Auris2010

A new a map update was released today MAP update 2020 V1 but its via OTA and not the usual USB download.  I assume this for newer model who has Apple carplay aNd Android Auto.  How about us who haven’t got the chance for AA/AC to be installed / upgraded our system? This retrofit upgrade has been delayed for so long. Come on Toyota , fulfill your promised from the start of saLes of the new Corolla. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is the option to get the map on the "estore" on toyota.co.uk

My car can do the OTA, I did it yesterday.

What I didn't realise at the time is how poor the implementation is. So it turned out the OTA is just over 200mb (according to the screen on the car), but it took over an hour to install through my home WiFi!

After installation, it turned out it had only updated the UK + IE data, not the whole of Europe, so the software update page still says 2019v2. If I go to a different page on the car menu in the map options, it tells me I have 2019v2 navdb but 2020v1 UK + IE map data. 

If I try to go onto the estore, it tells me I've "already purchased the map" and I that's all.

So effectively the OTA is only an update for UK and Ireland, which takes far longer than the usb method, and then seems to lock you out of the entire European update.

1 hour ago, lancs said:

What I didn't realise at the time is how poor the implementation is. So it turned out the OTA is just over 200mb (according to the screen on the car), but it took over an hour to install through my home WiFi!

After installation, it turned out it had only updated the UK + IE data, not the whole of Europe, so the software update page still says 2019v2. If I go to a different page on the car menu in the map options, it tells me I have 2019v2 navdb but 2020v1 UK + IE map data. 

If I try to go onto the estore, it tells me I've "already purchased the map" and I that's all.

So effectively the OTA is only an update for UK and Ireland, which takes far longer than the usb method, and then seems to lock you out of the entire European update.

The OTA udpate is primarily designed for a Wifi connection via a mobile hotspot and is capable of being interrupted and resuming where it left off, this affects the way the car pulls the update which slows the process as it downloads a segment then verify the integrity etc.

As for the UK/IE limit OTA a full map set is 9.8GB and this would be an issue for quite a few people with limited mobile data so the OTA update is limited to UK/IE, 

I am connected to a wifi but cant seem ti make estore work. Always saying service not available. I

I downloaded it to my computer, loaded it onto USB, sat in a car, plugged the USB in and inserted activation code. No hassle at all. 🙂

14 minutes ago, Rivorian said:

I downloaded it to my computer, loaded it onto USB, sat in a car, plugged the USB in and inserted activation code. No hassle at all. 🙂

Do we need to extract the archive or we just load it as it is to the USB stick?
Does it matter if you insert the stick in the car before starting it or after that?

I downloaded it from Finnish MyToyota domain (I guess it's the same) and to my Macbook. Once it was completed it was actually a folder named "FMU" and had 4 iso files inside. Basically what it requires is that You add that folder "FMU" onto the FAT32 formated USB which is at least 16GB. So basically the FMU should be extracted from "zip" to usual folder consisting of 4 items. Then open empty USB with FAT32 format and drag'n'drop that folder into the root of USB.

Once inside, I started the car with everything up and running and then inserted the USB to the dashboard USB slot (the one next to passenger heated seat button). It will then check the USB and pop up a windows with "do you want to update...something". Then press OK and progress starts. You can use everything else while updating but the navigation itself.

OH! Please do not forget to copy the Activation code from MyToyota under "purchase history" and that specific map update file to Your phone as the update in the car requires the code before update can start. Check the attached picture for "Tulosta aktivointikoodi" once You press that a window pops open with a code.

A manual here as well: http://mapupdatecontent.toyota-europe.com/Documents/Dealer Guide/MapUpdate_17MM_DealerGuide_Toyota_English_v1.pdf

Copied the text from the manual:

When using the download option, the update files will be packaged in a zip file. First unzip the contents onto your PC and then copy them to your USB stick. Verify that the directory named ‘FMU’ is in the root directory, and that following files are inside ‘FMU’:

- FMU_PONXXX_1.iso
- FMU_PON
XXX_2.iso
- FMU_PON
XXX_3.iso
- FMU_PON
XXX_4.iso
Where ‘XXX’ is the same for all four files.

Once you have downloaded the map to your USB stick, you can start the map update process by plugging the USB stick into USB port of the vehicle.

Screenshot 2020-05-22 at 13.47.19.png

• Thanks 1

Just checked on My Toyota UK website and MAP update 2020 V1 is there. Not instsalled it yet.

Afternoon,

how can I install the other apps from my purchases? I have loads in purchases but can’t work out how to put them onto the system. 

plus I don’t have a PC so a USB stick is a problem. I must be missing something! 

thanks Ian. 

19 hours ago, Auris2010 said:

I am connected to a wifi but cant seem ti make estore work. Always saying service not available. I

Estore in the car is only a link from the car to the MyT website it is not a "shopfront" where you can browse and download Apps to the car. it exists to tell the MyT website which headunit it is communicating with.

5 hours ago, shufman said:

Afternoon,

how can I install the other apps from my purchases? I have loads in purchases but can’t work out how to put them onto the system. 

plus I don’t have a PC so a USB stick is a problem. I must be missing something! 

thanks Ian. 

What other apps are you referring to?

As for making use of them you will need a computer where you can download the Maps and then extract the compressed files onto the root of an empty 16gb USB 

7 hours ago, OXYGEN said:

Do we need to extract the archive or we just load it as it is to the USB stick?
Does it matter if you insert the stick in the car before starting it or after that?

Download the zip file to PC, then unzip the contents to a blank FAT 32 formatted USB. last update, lots of suggestions came forward how to do it other ways, but this way is as per Toyota's instructions, and works.

I then fire up the Hybrid system, and when everything is settled down, plug in the USB. No idea if you can put it in before doing this, but from general PC experience, things go wrong if you cut corners!

step11_tcm-3060-518057.png

Thanks guys, all went well, although really slow. Had to wait the installation more than an hour.

Btw, is there any chance to get info what exactly was updated in the maps?

For example Garmin and other gps companies provide “release notes”/“change log” - something like:

UK - added 1200 miles roads, 55 miles motorways, added 3d buildings in 5 more cities, added 535 new POIs, etc. Total coverage 98%

Germany - added .... coverage 83%

etc.

4 minutes ago, OXYGEN said:

Thanks guys, all went well, although really slow. Had to wait the installation more than an hour.

Btw, is there any chance to get info what exactly was updated in the maps?

For example Garmin and other gps companies provide “release notes”/“change log” - something like:

UK - added 1200 miles roads, 55 miles motorways, added 3d buildings in 5 more cities, added 535 new POIs, etc. Total coverage 98%

Germany - added .... coverage 83%

etc.

http://mapupdatecontent.toyota-europe.com/Documents/Map release/Spring 2020/Toyota_T%26G_T2withGo_MapUpdateNotes_Spring2020_HR.pdf

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 7:51 PM, lancs said:

After looking into this further, I found a page on my Toyota UK account under the estore which said "Purchases"

As new user, this wasn't obvious to me - never seen it before. Clicking on it shows all the items for my car which are active, including the full 2020v1 map, which I am currently downloading. So I take back my previous comment, the implementation is ok, it is just the documentation / clear instructions from Toyota which I find lacking.

Did mine today. Be aware that the opening 'validating updates' screen can take some time, five minutes in my case. About an hour to complete the 21 package update.

Same for me. Far easier than the 17 plate VW Passat, that could take several attempts to complete successfully. 

I'm not going to bother this time around. It's such a faff and I doubt there have been enough road changes to make it worthwhile for me.

6 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

I'm not going to bother this time around. It's such a faff and I doubt there have been enough road changes to make it worthwhile for me.

Not that much round here, Andru. I've not checked if the new roads in Brackley are added, but the Flore - Weedon bypass is there now, on the way to Daventry from M1. Not essential, but you drive on the road now, not across the fields.

• Like 1

My car has been prompting me to instal the 200Mb update. After reading the above, I decided I would prefer to go the USB route. My car shows that the current map is 2019 v2 and that it has never been updated (I’ve always clicked ‘No’ in response to the prompts). Logging on to My Toyota I am told that map update 2020 v1 Corolla is available free. When I ask to ‘buy’ it I have to agree to three lots of terms and conditions, at the end of which it just says ‘Already purchased’ and returns to the start. Any ideas as to what’s going on and what I should now do?

I had this after I had installed the OTA update. I decided to look on the web version of MyT and it said ‘already purchased’ but also gave me the option to download again or select a region or the the full version to usb stick. Download was only a few minutes but install was about 70 minutes but simple. 

1 hour ago, Geoff W said:

My car has been prompting me to instal the 200Mb update. After reading the above, I decided I would prefer to go the USB route. My car shows that the current map is 2019 v2 and that it has never been updated (I’ve always clicked ‘No’ in response to the prompts). Logging on to My Toyota I am told that map update 2020 v1 Corolla is available free. When I ask to ‘buy’ it I have to agree to three lots of terms and conditions, at the end of which it just says ‘Already purchased’ and returns to the start. Any ideas as to what’s going on and what I should now do?

Yeah it's ridiculous that system. I think if you go to the account page and look under purchases you'll find a link in there.

Thanks, guys!

It was indeed sitting in purchases. Downloading it on a reasonably fast internet connection is like watching paint dry but I’m optimistic it will get there eventually Toyota’s web site is running slow so maybe problem is at their end.

4 minutes ago, Geoff W said:

Thanks, guys!

It was indeed sitting in purchases. Downloading it on a reasonably fast internet connection is like watching paint dry but I’m optimistic it will get there eventually Toyota’s web site is running slow so maybe problem is at their end.

Once it is downloaded and copied to usb stick, there will be another paint to watch drying when installing it in the car 😁

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, OXYGEN said:

Once it is downloaded and copied to usb stick, there will be another paint to watch drying when installing it in the car 😁

At least now that we're not in lockdown you can spend the hour driving around. Although if I remember correctly the clock will stop and half way through if you're listening to an external music source it will stop playing.