Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New map update OTA

Auris2010

I finally got around to installing the map update I downloaded last week. I have to say it was absolutely straight forward if a little slow. The clock stopped for the 72 minutes it took to load then reset itself. The climate control kept running and the music continued to play so I was quite comfortable. The engine started briefly a few times to keep the batteries charged charged up. I was expecting to be prompted for some decisions - the Toyota website says you have to specify West Europe, East Europe or individual countries but the accompanying illustrations in that documentation seem to be 5 years old. I think I’ve actually got the whole of Europe.

A question for next time! The on screen instructions say that the engine must be running but that the process can be interrupted. How would you interrupt the process? Turning the engine off would appear to risk crashing the whole process!

On a related subject. The navigation set up options include the ability to turn on and off options to display 3D buildings and/or 3D landmarks on the map. I turned both on when I first got the car but have yet to see either. Does it depend on where you are or on which version of map you instal? Or is it just something that might be offered in the future? A bit galling that the cheap TomTom sat navs they sell in Halfords offer this!

31 minutes ago, Geoff W said:

A question for next time! The on screen instructions say that the engine must be running but that the process can be interrupted. How would you interrupt the process? Turning the engine off would appear to risk crashing the whole process!

I can only speak in regards to the update via USB. I started the process just before a long drive but had to make a stop about 2/3 of the way through the update which involved me leaving and switching off the car.  When returning to the car about 45 mins later there were no issues with crashing when restarting and the update just carried on from where it had left off. I would imagine the same if done via OTA.

15 hours ago, Geoff W said:

...The navigation set up options include the ability to turn on and off options to display 3D buildings and/or 3D landmarks on the map. I turned both on when I first got the car but have yet to see either. Does it depend on where you are or on which version of map you instal? Or is it just something that might be offered in the future? A bit galling that the cheap TomTom sat navs they sell in Halfords offer this!

You have 3D buildings and/or 3D landmarks, they just show up only in 3D mode and only when on the highest zoom levels.

And there is the problem - the auto zoom is total garbage and does not work properly. Even setting it to auto zoom - near in settings, it does not zoom enough on turns/changes in directions to be able to see the details of the road or the 3D details. If you manually change the zoom to the max, you will be able to see the  3D buildings/ landmarks but then the remaining journey is not suitably displayed and it is not convenient to drive constantly with max zoom. 

Toyota should seriously work on this problem and fix it ASAP!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links