Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 1.33 petrol 6 speed Manual vvt selector problem

alesypalsy

Hi guys and girls, 

I recently brought a Auris , I brought it with a problem that I didn't realise would be a major problem, The car slides only into 3rd gear easily , also 6th gear easily , 

It will slide into reverse gear but is difficult to get out of the reverse gate , when you pull the bridge thing with your finger to be able to shift the gear stick back over to the forward selection, 

The clutch seems fine, I can just about get 1st gear if I pull up the gate as if I was going to go into reverse I can find the 1st gear slot, but moving its much safer to just drive in 3rd, 

Can anyone advise any problems like this that have been encountered , I am sure its a very easy fix for clever mind in the know, there are no nasty noises , no rattles etc, it seems really more apart from getting into gear ,  

I have been told by one mechanic that its the selector which is inside the gearbox, but he didn't have time to look at it properly for me and doesn't know Toyotas, he has offered to fit a second hand gearbox as a simple fix but I dont want to go down that route unless absolutely have to ,

any advice where to look for problems most welcomed!  thanks 

• 2 months later...

I agree that replacing the gearbox is a simple fix, because the alternative is probably taking yours apart. Find someone willing to sell you a gearbox with some amount of warranty on it.