Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris 2002 problem

Pwalk

Dear Toyota enthusiasts!

I hope someone will be able to help me with a problem (or couple of problems - not sure if they are connected) with my Yaris 1.0 (2002).

I have added a link to a short video below to illustrate it.

A couple of months ago, I noticed a (sort of) high pitched sound that goes with the engine revs, sometimes it will appear straight away on ignition, sometimes later.  Somebody suggested to me that could be a bearing on the alternator, and that I'd have to put in a new alternator soon. I haven't noticed any issues with Battery charge. I do very low mileage and have been driving like this, but it recently started getting worse and apart from it being very annoying, I am also worried I'm causing more damage.

The second thing I noticed is strange white powder-ish substance or residue on the left side of the engine - is that the exhaust pipe? You can see it better at 0:26 in the video.

I also had a check engine light come on, but it went off by itself. In the meantime, I ordered an OBD2 scanner and it's showing a P0139 code (O2 sensor slow response). I had an O2 sensor changed 2 years ago, I don't remember for sure it was the same code then but very likely it was.

Can someone tell me, are these problems connected? I can send diagnostic info from the scanner if it would help?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1NbTzenqwU5WXxR49

Many thanks,

Paul

i would be looking at the water pump, remove the aux belt and inspect it

Does the car have A/C ?

the white stuff on the exhaust is exhaust paste probably used to cover up a problem with the exhaust manifold and/or gasket

27 minutes ago, flash22 said:

i would be looking at the water pump, remove the aux belt and inspect it

Does the car have A/C ?

Thanks. I'll see if I can check the pump. No A/C.

Obviously take care as you'll be near a moving belt but you can try and localise/eliminate either the alternator or the water pump by using a long screwdriver like a "stethoscope" while it is running. Something like this 18" one that I have...

IMG_20200522_202749.thumb.jpg.b527dfdcecbaca0d373a66659b261e9e.jpg
It'll probably be easier to "listen" to the alternator bearing first by touching the tip against its casing (obviously being careful of the spinning pulley and belt!) as near to each bearing (front and back) as you can get and then putting your ear to the handle and listen, You'll soon know if it's that particular item. Be extremely careful when trying to "listen" to the water pump bearing in the same way as there's not much "real estate" around the water pump housing to touch safely! I hope you'll see what I mean. Try a dummy test first safely by trying out your "stethoscope" across the rocker box top so that you familiarise yourself as to how it sounds and actually how localised you can get with it. JUST BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN YOU GET CLOSE TO SPINNING PULLEYS AND BELTS!! Don't just go charging in. Choose your spot carefully!

That sounds like the alternator bearings are failing to me. If it was the water pump bearing that was failing, the car would usually leak water from the water pump, and it would be obvious running down the side of the block and dripping out of the bottom of the engine bay.

The exhaust manifold is also blowing, I can hear it when the car is revved up, and this is a common problem on the early mk1 with no aircon, as the front of the engine is open to the rain and spray blowing in through the grille, and it rusts the manifold out. The fact that there is exhaust paste on the manifold shows it has obviously been blowing badly and someone has attempted to patch it up, but it has not worked as the exhaust is still blowing. As the manifold is blowing, this could well affect the operation of the front o2 sensor which is located downstream of the manifold. The proper solution for this issue is to replace the exhaust manifold and its gasket.

Thank you both.

Stevie's explanation makes sense to me. The exhaust must have been patched the last time the car had a service, but I wasn't told about the repair. Replacing the exhaust manifold and gasket sounds like an expensive job to me, taking into account the age of the car and its worth. I was still hoping to be able to sell it but maybe it's reaching the end of its days. Can the bearings on the alternator be replaced without changing the alternator itself?

to test the alternator unplug the cable from the back of it, if the noise goes when the car starts it's the alternator, an over tightened belt will knock out the bearings

Aftermarket parts are cheap a manifold is £50-100 inc gasket

Replacing alternator bearings is not something I would recommend unless you know what you are doing, ie, you have the correct bearing pullers and can obtain the correct bearings, for which you would need to know the bearing code, for both sets of bearings. There is also the carbon brushes that would likely also need replacing. Obtaining a re-manufactured alternator would be a better solution for which I would do a search online to find a supplier for the best price. Some require you to send the old alternator back to them. Euro Car Parts list alternators for the 1.0 2002 Yaris but they are around £200, but you can get 40% off using a discount code so they are actually about £120 plus a refundable surcharge when they get your old alternator back.

You can get an exhaust manifold from eBay for about 50 quid (used). New manifolds would likely be a dealer only part, so second hand would be the way to go on such an old car.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-99-03-TOYOTA-YARIS-1-0-VVTI-VVT-I-EXHAUST-MANIFOLD-W-NEW-GENUINE-GASKET/321691097460?hash=item4ae6489974%3Ag%3Ac1YAAOSwhYJcQgUs&LH_ItemCondition=3000|7000

Alternators also available on eBay for around the £130 mark:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alternator-Fits-Toyota-Vitz-1-0-Yaris-1-0-99-06/202439993511?fits=Car+Make%3AToyota|Model%3AYaris%2FVitz|Cars+Type%3A1.0&hash=item2f225d28a7:g:TssAAOSwU1hbn59z

Thanks for the info everyone, very helpful. I'm unable to do repairs myself but at least now I know what to look for and hopefully this will bring the costs down.