Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis 2010 Premium Audio Query

j.smizzy

Hi all,

My dad has a 2010 Avensis and the audio quality is pretty rubbish, especially the bass.

He's had the car from new and had the Toyota Premium Audio system fitted which supposedly encompasses 11 Speakers, but we can only find 9 (two in each rear door, 1 woofer in each front door, 1 tweeter each side at the front of the dash and 1 center speaker). Where are the others supposed to be?

Has anyone changed or upgraded their Speakers in the Avensis?

We're looking into upgrading the speakers to something more substantial. At the moment, I'm considering replacing the rear door Speakers, front door woofers and front dash tweeters with some Alpine SPG-17CS speakers. I've had these in other cars and they're a big improvement over stock speakers.

From what I've researched, am I right in thinking the current speakers in the Avensis are 2 ohm? If so, will replacing with the Alpine one's which are 4 ohm cause an imbalance with the center speaker? Of course, we can always just disconnect this if that is the case.

Also, am I right in thinking that the stock front speakers are 6x9?

Cheers,

Josh

I have seen photos of the front T27 speaker and it is oval and similar to 6x9. My complaint about the sound is the lack of midrange, and bass quality. There is bass but not good if the bass is turned up.
You need to find speaker adapter/spacers to fit Speakers of your choice. When I owned my Mk1, I replaced the round Speakers with 6.5" two way JBL Speakers, that were rated for 2 Ohms. They improved the sound. I made my own spacer adapters, and everything fitted behind the original door card and grill, for all four doors. Before I started, I took a door card off and took photos and measured everything - the fixing point holes, the space between the grill/door card and the inner door, and the clearance behind the speaker. 

Do a few searches like Toyota Avensis T27 front speakers and you should get some info and idea of what you need to do.

6 hours ago, j.smizzy said:

Hi all,

My dad has a 2010 Avensis and the audio quality is pretty rubbish, especially the bass.

He's had the car from new and had the Toyota Premium Audio system fitted which supposedly encompasses 11 speakers, but we can only find 9 (two in each rear door, 1 woofer in each front door, 1 tweeter each side at the front of the dash and 1 center speaker). Where are the others supposed to be?

The outer dash Speakers are twin units with a Tweeter and mid-range see:

Capture.PNG

I did a bit of research and found this to give you an idea what the Speakers look like - https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1716892122 
image.jpeg.9cbdc2b2e86b7a7d86fb596a8f5615c9.jpeg
Another seller showing what the complete set looks like - https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1716892122?iid=283616979239

TOYOTA AVENSIS T27 09- Door loudspeaker SET 86160-05150
I notice that Lexus iS200/300 early to mid 2000's used oval Speakers, and spacers/adapters are available for them. If they are the same size and the screw holes match, it would be easier to use those adapters with Speakers of your choice. As I said before, I made my own adapter/spacers for my previous car, when the originals failed. 

Thanks all for the replies and research.

It would appear that my suspicions that the Speakers are indeed 2 ohm.

I've purchased some Alpine SPG-17CS Speakers and adapter rings and will replace just the woofers to see if that makes much of an improvement. They're 4 ohm but having looked at it, I don't think it's going to make much difference.

Thanks for all your help. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Josh

• Like 1