Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 Auris towbar.

Martin van Zyl.

I hope someone can help.  On my budget I can't afford a new towbar.  I found a used one which I would like to buy and fit myself. I have the tools and the ability, but this one comes with no instructions.  So, I'm really worried that it may be necessary to drill holes, or cut bumpers and I do not know exactly where.  It seems the towbars for Auris 2012 until now are all the same, so that will include my car.  If someone can just tell me if I need any exact instructions, or is it straight forward enough for someone with lots of mechanical experience to do it without diagrams.

Many thanks.

You will need a wiring kit if it doesn't come with one, what make is the tow bar as different manufactures have their own ways of mounting, is it a fixed tow bar or detachable ?

4 hours ago, Martin van Zyl. said:

It seems the towbars for Auris 2012 until now are all the same, so that will include my car. 

Just be aware that the first generation Auris was made up to October 2012, and the second generation from October 2012 - so just be sure the towbar you're looking at is for the second generation.

5 hours ago, Martin van Zyl. said:

I hope someone can help.  On my budget I can't afford a new towbar.  I found a used one which I would like to buy and fit myself. I have the tools and the ability, but this one comes with no instructions.  So, I'm really worried that it may be necessary to drill holes, or cut bumpers and I do not know exactly where.  It seems the towbars for Auris 2012 until now are all the same, so that will include my car.  If someone can just tell me if I need any exact instructions, or is it straight forward enough for someone with lots of mechanical experience to do it without diagrams.

Many thanks.

What engine and model ( e.g 1.8 hybrid Hatchback or 1.2 Turbo Touring sport ) 

Sorry, I'm an idiot for not thinking of that.  1.4L, D-4D, diesel, hatchback.

Thanks again.

6 hours ago, flash22 said:

You will need a wiring kit if it doesn't come with one, what make is the tow bar as different manufactures have their own ways of mounting, is it a fixed tow bar or detachable ?

It comes with a wiring kit.  It will fit my car. It was originally fitted by Toyota, so I think it is a Brink brand.  My car is a 2016, 1.4L, diesel, D-4D, hatchback.  The chap wants €150 for it.

7 hours ago, Martin van Zyl. said:

Many thanks.

Edit:  I can get a used Brink detachable towbar, with wiring harness that will fit my car, which is a 2016, 1.4L Auris diesel D-4D,hatchback for about €150.00.  I know that a newone is not much more, but I'm  already stretching my budget beyond its limit.

Can't guarantee compatibility as the Genuine part numbers differ:

Mk2 Auris HB 10/2012-05/2015 see Here

MK2 Auris HB 05/2015 > see Here

Info taken from www.toyota-tech.eu > Owner > Accessory Installation manuals.

Just thought it worth mentioning here that Toyota say that you can't/mustn't/shouldn't fit a towbar to a MkII Hybrid Auris.

On 5/27/2020 at 10:24 AM, BigRedSwitch said:

Just thought it worth mentioning here that Toyota say that you can't/mustn't/shouldn't fit a towbar to a MkII Hybrid Auris.

Indeed. When I was shopping for my car (2016), the Toyota dealers were very careful to stress that the hybrid wouldn't be suitable for towing. Not in the UK, anyway! And only light loads in those other countries where it's allowed. I think it's a transmission cooling issue, but I'm no expert. 😐

https://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-hybrid-towing-questions :

2) Can I tow with a Toyota Auris Hybrid?

No, the Auris Hybrid has not been homologated to tow in the United Kingdom.

Some European-specification Auris Hybrid models have been specially configured to tow light loads but these models are not available in the UK. Their cooling systems are different and the components cannot be retro-fitted to UK-spec cars.

On 5/23/2020 at 5:33 PM, Martin van Zyl. said:

My car is a 2016, 1.4L, diesel, D-4D, hatchback. 

The OP's car is a diesel not hybrid so isn't constrained by the hybrid's lack of towing capability.