Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid Map Update Suggestions

roadster-rav

I have just downloaded and installed the 2020/1 map update via USB and here are a few observations which may help others.

1) You will need at least a 16 GByte usb stick, preferably USB3 for speed, the file size is 11.9 Gbytes.

2) If your computer is like mine (Windows 10 64bit ) don't try to unzip by directly copying the FMU folder straight to USB. This was desperately slow and would have taken hours. Instead unzip to your local hard drive ( 2 minutes ) then copy the FMU folder to your USB stick, 3 minutes or so at USB 3 speed of around 80 to 90 MB second.

3) The message on the Toyota screen says the engine must be running but of course the hybrid will only run the engine when it needs to. Just stay in READY mode.

4) Feel free to curse Toyota for requiring a huge validation code to be entered on the touch screen!

There is nothing you can do about the slow install time ( > 1 hour) for the update but the car can be driven while it is in progress.

• Like 3

just to add, last time I did it, you didn't have to keep the car on the whole time in one go. It doesn't mind you turning the car off and will pick up where it left off each time until its finished. So fine to spread across several journeys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello,

I tried several times today with different USBs, 32GB.

USB contains only the map folder, nothing else, I copied the entire 2020v1_MapUpdate folder, but the system did not recognize the USBs.

When I plug in the USB, the system shows the USB is plugged in and checking but nothing happens after 3 seconds.

All steps are done and checked.

USB format is FAT32.

FMU folder is inside 2020v1_MapUpdate folder which includes 4 .iso files.

- Shall I copy only the FMU folder as a separate folder and not a subfolder of 2020v1_MapUpdate?

- Shall I bind all 4 .iso files into one .iso file?  or I should leave 4 .iso files?

Thank you.

On 5/23/2020 at 4:08 PM, Rav Rob said:

...It doesn't mind you turning the car off and will pick up where it left off each time until its finished. So fine to spread across several journeys.

That's good to know.

When the 4th Gen Prius came out in 2016, I got one of the first and owners compared notes about delivery times, quirks and features etc. just like we all did for our new RAV4s about a year ago.

One guy tried to do his update in ACCessory mode, only for the car to shut down after 20 minutes.  His whole Infotainment system stayed blank and inoperable until his dealer had the car for a whole day and somehow reinstated it.  He got his dealer to do all future updates after that.

Has anyone who's done the update found any improvements or changes that made it worth the hassle?

I did one when I first got the car because the installed maps were horribly out of date and missing loads of roads opened in my area in the previous couple of years and one more last November.

Since I use my TomTom for all serious navigation (mainly because of it's excellent traffic data) I don't plan to do any further updates until:

• I hear several users report that there are no issues with a future update, and
  • it has something I actually want - like improved USB handling that includes Playlists or maps stay so the direction of travel is up (for the very few times I use the built-in satnav)

20 hours ago, PeteB said:

Has anyone who's done the update found any improvements or changes that made it worth the hassle?

I did one when I first got the car because the installed maps were horribly out of date and missing loads of roads opened in my area in the previous couple of years and one more last November.

Since I use my TomTom for all serious navigation (mainly because of it's excellent traffic data) I don't plan to do any further updates until:

• I hear several users report that there are no issues with a future update, and
  • it has something I actually want - like improved USB handling that includes Playlists or maps stay so the direction of travel is up (for the very few times I use the built-in satnav)

Unlike previous Toyota navigation systems the new MM17/MM19 system has separated software updates from Map updates ( this allows software fixes to be issued quicker than the bi-annual map update).

See HERE for a map update change log between 2019v2 and 2020v1.

What version software are installed in your MEU (Media extension unit / NAV ) and DCU ( Display control unit )? As updates are issued quite often

• Thanks 1

On 5/24/2020 at 8:21 PM, Aeiria said:

Hello,

I tried several times today with different USBs, 32GB.

USB contains only the map folder, nothing else, I copied the entire 2020v1_MapUpdate folder, but the system did not recognize the USBs.

When I plug in the USB, the system shows the USB is plugged in and checking but nothing happens after 3 seconds.

All steps are done and checked.

USB format is FAT32.

FMU folder is inside 2020v1_MapUpdate folder which includes 4 .iso files.

- Shall I copy only the FMU folder as a separate folder and not a subfolder of 2020v1_MapUpdate?

- Shall I bind all 4 .iso files into one .iso file?  or I should leave 4 .iso files?

Thank you.

Yes the FMU folder should be at the top level of the memory stick, it sounds like that is your problem.

On 5/24/2020 at 9:33 PM, PeteB said:

I suspect that there is now an option to set the default configuration to your own preference. This might please people who don't like the default North up. I'll confirm this later because although I saw it briefly my memory could be playing tricks.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, roadster-rav said:

I suspect that there is now an option to set the default configuration to your own preference. This might please people who don't like the default North up. I'll confirm this later because although I saw it briefly my memory could be playing tricks.

I took delivery of mine in March and the map stays as selected.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

...What version software are installed in your MEU (Media extension unit / NAV ) and DCU ( Display control unit )?...

Do these answer this?

20200526_090207.jpg

20200526_090220.jpg

2 hours ago, PeteB said:

Do these answer this?

20200526_090207.jpg

20200526_090220.jpg

Ok for the fixes for the  MEU since version 1512

MEU Software release version 1520:

• Wrong navigation guidance speech in Hungarian: translation of word "street" said twice by the navigation unit.

• Wrong side of navigation traffic information for left-hand traffic countries.

• When using voice recognition to input an address, it does not recognise voice input. Due to error related to sampling frequency mismatch.

• When using map, it appears loading endlessly.

• Navigation cursor turning more or less than vehicle due to gyroscope wrong calibration.

MEU Software release version 1530:

• Unlogical traffic information (showing 4.5 million km on right side bar)

• Map in map screen changes to 2D North from another orientation after IG cycle, not keeping customer preferred view. (This does not solve having only 2D North in home screen).

• Missing fix speed cams in Austria.

• Map appears wrongly displayed due to map rendering algorithm.

• RDS paying TMC not available.

• Emergency incident pop-ups appearing when incident does not happen on current road.

• 12-V Battery flat due to MEU not getting into sleep mode after short IG ON-OFF cycle.

• MEU Software release version 1540:

• Map cursor jerks every 2-3 seconds instead of moving continuously.

• Map screen goes black when passing by a certain location.

• Turn-by-Turn information suddenly changes inside a roundabout.

• No street name is displayed without destination set.

• Map rendering malfunctions (shifts) in Eastern Russia and Kazakhstan.

Fixes for DCU since version 1000

DCU Software release 1011 is latest for T1 & T2 DCU for all models except for Russian version of Camry T2 DCU (1021 is latest)

List of solved issues for DCU (Display Control Unit):

• Connectivity issues:

• Not possible to register a new bluetooth device

• Failed bluetooth connection due to communication delay

• When listening to Spotify with an iPhone 8 connected via USB, the playback time does not change from 3 minutes 45 seconds

• iPod Audio does not play automatically after the end of Hands-free call

• Phone call history not updated

• Playback song information not changing on display.

• For T1 DCU only: Internet tethering via Wi-Fi to the unit is enabled when MEU is connected.

• Miracast connection not possible

• Audio issues:

• Audio sources are not able to play out sounds after incoming phone call

• No sound from rear Speakers

• General issues:

• Map screen is black, crashes and restarts

• System reboots intermittently

• Cannot operate air conditioner.(Correction of CAN microcomputer software)

• Translation issues:

• Change of wording: "Clip" in fuel consumption screen in German language.

• Change of wording: "full front" in Hungarian and Ukrainian languages.

• Gracenote Database update

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

Ok for the fixes for the  MEU since version 1512...

OK thanks.  Can I download and install these or do I have to ask my dealer please?

On 5/26/2020 at 11:10 PM, PeteB said:

OK thanks.  Can I download and install these or do I have to ask my dealer please?

It looks like its a dealer job and doesn't come with map updates. Mine has an up to date map database but still on version 1512. Interesting that Toyota Canada do offer some DIY firmware updating but its on different software used only in North America.

• Like 1

DIY updates can be done, however they are at the owners risk and if something should go wrong you would have difficulty making a warranty claim.

For the audio update:

1. Determine the model ID of your DCU (SETUP -> General -> Software update ).
  2. In the following link, replace the placeholder " <DCU-ID> " with your DCU-ID. So
    "streamtechdoc.toyota-motor-europe.com/techdoc3/audio_navigation/ <DCU id> _Latest.zip" for example, to
    "streamtechdoc.toyota-motor-europe.com/techdoc3/audio_navigation/17TDT1EU-DA01 _Latest.zip"
  3. Put this URL in your browser in the URL address bar, press the return key and the latest audio update will be downloaded to your computer.

For the navigation software update:

1. Determine the model ID of your MEU (SETUP -> General -> Software update ).
  2. In the following link, replace the placeholder " <MEU-ID> " with your MEU-ID. So
    "streamtechdoc.toyota-motor-europe.com/techdoc3/audio_navigation/ <MEU id> _Latest.zip" for example, to
    "streamtechdoc.toyota-motor-europe.com/techdoc3/audio_navigation/17TMT2EU-FA00 _Latest.zip"
  3. Put this URL in your browser in the URL address bar, press the Return key and the latest Navisoftware update will be downloaded to your computer.

The DCU/MEU ID's must be taken from your own car do not use ID's from elsewhere. Once downloaded extract the files on your PC then copy the file to the root of an empty USB, the updates must be done separately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

DIY updates can be done, however they are at the owners risk and if something should go wrong you would have difficulty making a warranty claim.

Thanks that could be very useful. Speaking for myself I probably won't take the chance because I try to curb my natural enthusiasm and follow the mantra " if it ain't broke don't fix it". In any case I have no issues with the central display which I normally turn off unless I need a map or some music during traffic hold ups.

13 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

For the audio update:

1. Determine the model ID of your DCU (SETUP -> General -> Software update ).
  2. In the following link, replace the placeholder " <DCU-ID> " with your DCU-ID. So
    "streamtechdoc.toyota-motor-europe.com/techdoc3/audio_navigation/ <DCU id> _Latest.zip" for example, to
    "streamtechdoc.toyota-motor-europe.com/techdoc3/audio_navigation/17TDT1EU-DA01 _Latest.zip"
  3. Put this URL in your browser in the URL address bar, press the return key and the latest audio update will be downloaded to your computer.

For the navigation software update:

1. Determine the model ID of your MEU (SETUP -> General -> Software update ).
  2. In the following link, replace the placeholder " <MEU-ID> " with your MEU-ID. So
    "streamtechdoc.toyota-motor-europe.com/techdoc3/audio_navigation/ <MEU id> _Latest.zip" for example, to
    "streamtechdoc.toyota-motor-europe.com/techdoc3/audio_navigation/17TMT2EU-FA00 _Latest.zip"
  3. Put this URL in your browser in the URL address bar, press the Return key and the latest Navisoftware update will be downloaded to your computer.

The DCU/MEU ID's must be taken from your own car do not use ID's from elsewhere. Once downloaded extract the files on your PC then copy the file to the root of an empty USB, the updates must be done separately.

Sorry which is the link?

12 hours ago, BigR1ch said:

Sorry which is the link?

Its the full "streamtechdoc" text which you place in your browsers address bar replacing the DCU/MEU id with the version taken from your headunit

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

Its the full "streamtechdoc" text which you place in your browsers address bar replacing the DCU/MEU id with the version taken from your headunit

Do you need to update the DCU/MEU in steps of release, or can you go straight to the newest version?

3 minutes ago, duncerduncs said:

Do you need to update the DCU/MEU in steps of release, or can you go straight to the newest version?

The DCU/MEU versions remain constant as they identify the hardware type and the download will always be the latest software to match the hardware.

35 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

The DCU/MEU versions remain constant as they identify the hardware type and the download will always be the latest software to match the hardware.

Thanks!  I might have a go at the mother-in-laws car, what's the worst I could do?!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2020 at 9:33 PM, PeteB said:

Installed map update 2020 V1 yesterday, but disappointed to find it does not include M20 junction 10A near Ashford, which opened late 2019.

Looking forward to installing the Android Auto upgrade, whenever Toyota decides to roll that out.

On 5/30/2020 at 2:16 PM, duncerduncs said:

Thanks!  I might have a go at the mother-in-laws car, what's the worst I could do?!

I managed to update the car without issue, a couple of tips for those wanting to do it....

The web address has a space in it after '_Latest', remember to close the space before trying to download!  The MEU update is bigger than the DCU update, I found that the car preferred the bigger update first.  When I initially tried it the other way round, the DCU went back to its old software level (?).

Finally, extract the file out of the folder and into the USB, if you extract the folder onto the USB it wont update, also put the USB in with the power off.

Big thanks @Devon Aygo for posting the link, I suppose the only thing I would question is how do we find out about further updates?

Please excuse me tagging on 2 questions to this thread but you will see the reason.

1, I pick my new RAV4 up around the 1st July. How can I tell if the software/maps installed are the latest.

2. Regarding map orientation. Does it come set ? and can it easily be owner altered. 

Thanks

Scar, on the touch nav system.  Press setup, general, scroll down to software update, here you will see the state of your system. 
i think latest update should read

Audio 1011

Nav 1530

navdb-version 2020v1

This sorts out the problem with the nav always defaulting to north  

good luck 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bwh said:

Scar, on the touch nav system.  Press setup, general, scroll down to software update, here you will see the state of your system. 
i think latest update should read

Audio 1011

Nav 1530

navdb-version 2020v1

This sorts out the problem with the nav always defaulting to north  

good luck 

Currently 1540 for Nav

• Like 1