Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid battery

Kerry2887

I am the owner of a 2016 Toyota Aqua Sport. As of Friday evening the car refuse to start. We have tried get a jump from a friend. We even used a portable Battery charger and tried to charge the car via the fuse box in left side of car, for 5 hours and still nothing. 

When we tried to turn on the car , the fan starts and that's it nothing. 

Charging through the fuse box will do nothing you need to remove the 12v Battery and charge it, the 12v Battery is an AGM type Battery that needs a low and slow charge

what you have is a jump pack not a charger, a charger plugs in the mains

iirc the aqua is the same as a Prius C the 12v battery is under the back seat

• Like 1

Oh ok. We used this n charged it from the front for 5 hrs.

85D4C54E-12B6-4508-A98A-BF3F7A7B733C.jpeg

I had a service technician come and boost the 12V but it did not work he indicated that the 12v has charge but the hybrid Battery is the one that is depleted. How can I or is it possible to charge up the hybrid alone? What is the process?

• Like 1

As I understand, charging the main hybrid Battery is not easy, requires a special charger, and I heard (maybe last year) there was only one such unit in the UK, such is the rarity of charging the big Battery - which is a series of About 30 individual replaceable cells.

Hi,

just for the benefit of anyone reading in the UK (this is a predominantly UK centred forum), the Agua is loosely based on the 1.5 Yaris hybrid.

As Catlover says, your hybrid Battery is a 140 volt unit, and not least because of that needs great caution before any work on it is considered!

The hybrid batteries hardly ever give problems before, say, 10-12 years, so if your Battery had discharged then that would be very unusual indeed.

What happened to the car before it failed?

From what you've said, this sounds more like the car has blown a fuse when you connected your charger etc.  That would seem more likely than your hybrid (140 volt) Battery going flat, unless something really unusual happened when you last used it!

Do you know what the voltage is across the 12 volt battery now?

The main pack has protection from discharge get the 12v Battery checked and/or charge it off the car

Anyone knows wat this is.....

20200525_114740.jpg

Looks like a foot on a large pedal - maybe brake pedal. Don’t know what the thing to the right could represent. Have you seen it lit when driving or come to a stop.?

That light never came on before.... I think I should have the car diagnosed asap... and I should get a hybrid charger. Does anyone have reccomendations on a hybrid charger?

Edited by Kerry2887

It would be interesting to know the price of a hybrid charger - if you can get one. As I said before, I believe there was only one in the uk and dealers had to book it.

I have never heard of the need of a hybrid Battery charger. The hybrid management system works so well that it protects the hybrid Battery from being emptied. The only time I can think of it being flattened would be if you ran out of petrol and decided to try to “get home” on Battery only. It will quickly drain and impossible to start until the hybrid charger being used - only available through Toyota service stations in the UK.  Only an idiot would run out of petrol and try to run battery only.

Have you had the 12v Battery checked properly, low voltage can cause all sorts of issues stop chasing ghosts and fix the original issue

That symbol is not one i have come across, a quick 2 min google...................

toyota-brake-override.gif.8f5459bcc67f35bffd904e4f909361da.gif

Symbol name: Brake Override System warning light.

Description: When this warning light comes on, it means that the accelerator pedal and the brake pedal are being depressed simultaneously. Remove your foot from the accelerator pedal and press firmly on the brake. If this light is flashing, it means there's a fault with the Brake Override System. Have the system serviced by a Toyota workshop.

Please do not try and recharge any hybrid Battery. You would need a charger similar to the type that recharges a forklift truck. The individual cells in a Auris hybrid are nickel metal hydride which would require a specific charger with a special profile charge rate. The Toyota dealership when using the charger will also use a special connector that connects into the hybrid system. Unless you know what you are doing do not mess with this system. A wrong move could cause a fire, injury or worse scenario explosion. I speak as a Battery engineer with 30 years experience. Keep safe everyone.

If the pack is that low the charge system will throw a DTC, the pack is fully monitored

silly question, have you tried to start the car by placing the key on the start button, foot on the brake and pressing the start button

• 2 weeks later...

Hello and welcome Kerry 😄 interesting read.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links