Do Not Sell My Personal Information

charging issue with 2005 2.0 d-4d

echeb

Hi, this is my first post.

I am having an intermittent charging issue with my rav4, when the revs are below 1500 the Battery warning light, filter light and oil level light come on, When I rev above they go out. Also the Battery is only charging intermittently and sporadically but more often than not it is not charging and this makes it somewhat dificult to replicate for my mechanic. The Battery was replaced with a YBX 3069 a few months ago at 172k miles and takes charge well with a battery charger. I have tried to search the fourum but could not find anyone with this specific issue.

Can anyone shed light on this please?

Hi - I've never seen this problem but Ravs of that generation are prone to having deteriorating earth connections which cause some issues (eg poor starting when hot).

I've posted a few times on cleaning these up (there are two cables and it's genuinely a 30minute job). I'd give that a shot as anything electrical would have me ruling out this simple (and free to fix) possibility.

Please report back if it helps or not.

Another thing to check is the alternator brushes.