Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Data Communication Modul - how to remove/deactivate

androids

Hello. Do anyone can help with deactivating or (spying) removing DCM in new Toyota Corolla 2019 ?

1) Toyota is connecting a lot of cars to a 'Big Data Center' this year: https://www.theverge.com/2016/1/4/10706670/toyota-big-data-center-connected-cars-ces-2016

2) Telematics Data Communication Module (DCM) Activation Procedure Supplement: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10155233-9999.pdf

3) Data sharing

Toyota may also share the data and Signal History, linked to your VIN, described in this Section 12 with its parent,affiliates, third party vendors and business partners for the purposes described in this Section 12. We may also share the data, voice recording and Signal History described in this Section 12 as required by law, legal process, litigation or for customer service purposes.

Data Retention.

For Automatic Collision Notification, Emergency Assistance Button, Roadside Assistance, Stolen VehicleLocator and Destination Assist (see below), we retain the electronic Signal History from your Vehicle for 7 years, unless we are required to retain for a longer period of time prescribed by law, legal process or litigation. Signal History tells us when you or your Vehicle contacted us and your Vehicle’s Location at the point of signal initiation . If you speak with the Response Center from your Vehicle, you may be recorded. We may retain the recording for 7 years or a transcript of the recording for 2 years as required by law and to support requests from customers and law enforcement.

4) We are forensic investigators and require the DCM in our new 2019 Corolla to be totally disabled or preferably removed in order to protect our location data from being available or broadcast. It is currently disabled and all spying services off line but the ignition ping to the cellular system is still a concern. Please respond.

DCM.jpg

• Like 1

Do you use a mobile phone, do you use social media ? or have a debit or credit card if so all that you posted is insignificant

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Thank you for answer, but why did you not provide solution ?

Ask Toyota to disable it, be aware you have quoted multiple sources some of them outdated and will not be applicable to your county/region/location when you or the previous owner purchased the car you will have signed a disclaimer in the contract

You are on the internet, you have a mobile phone you can be tracked and traced to within 3m, if you live in a property you are traceable, if you have a bank account guess what..............

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Get a VPN for your car 😂🤦‍♀️

• Haha 5

If you decide to give your life to the devil, do so in good faith. Please let others who have a different opinion choose. Thank you
Ok, I'll try to deactivate module at Toyota service.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Tinfoil generally works, and if you are out of the car its just as effective if correctly wrapped....

If there was an occasion that the data was required in an incident, which may support your case, the law enforcement may take a rather dim/suspicions view as to why this was carried out.  I certainly would...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I doubt that you are forensic investigators based on your last reply. Even if toyota did listen to what you said and would monitor your location, what would they do with that information? Unless you are doing something illegal or maybe work for a secret organization (which if you did you would know how to disable the module) you have nothing to worry about. Also watch out for those 5G antennas, i hear they are quite dangerous these days....

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Toyota do not offer a way of disabling the DCM (without setting permanent warning messages),as the module handles two functions including:

1. Ecall which is now mandatory in all new vehicle types introduced in the EU after 31/03/2018:

How does eCall work?

eCall is activated automatically as soon as in-vehicle sensors and/or processors (e.g. airbag) detect a serious crash.

Once set off, the system dials the European emergency number 112, establishes a telephone link to the appropriate emergency call centre (aka Public Safety Answering Points – PSAPs) and sends details of the accident (aka Minimum Set of Data – MSD) to the rescue services, including the time of incident, the accurate position of the crashed vehicle and the direction of travel.

An eCall can also be triggered manually by pushing a button in the car, for example by a witness to a serious accident.

eCall is NOT...

• 112 eCall is not a black box. It does not record constantly the position of the vehicle, it records only a few data to determine the position and direction of the vehicle just before the crash and these data are only transmitted to emergency call centers if there is a serious crash.
  • eCall cannot be used to monitor motorist's moves. The SIM-card used to transmit the eCall data is dormant, i.e. it is only activated in case the vehicle has a serious accident (e.g. the airbag is activated).

2. Connected services whilst Toyota can collect the data received they cannot do anything with it if you do not consent via the Connected services terms and conditions presented on the MyT website/app the exception to this is requests from law enforcement/Security agencies requiring a warrant to provide such information.

Assuming you are in the EU if you really want to ensure your personal details are not connected to the data recovered you can also exercise your "right to be forgotten" by Toyota and your dealer under GDPR legislation in your local market area.

• Like 4

ANY practical/technical idea how to implement some hiiden switch ? What cable should I cut, connect to swith so I decide when GSM/LTE devide will work and when not ?
I do not care about: permanent warning messages and I've heard about it.

Info for open mind people

DCM module.png

tel1.jpg

tel2.jpg

2 hours ago, androids said:

Info for open mind people

You need to modify your attitude - when you signed up to the club you agreed to be polite and to treat your fellow members with respect. 

• Like 5

I don't see any impoliteness or disrespect from the OP, but I do see some in some of the facetious "answers" they received, Frostyballs.

• Like 2

Worrying about your personal infromation is completly normal and i totally understand that. But telling people that a module that is going to call an ambulance for you in case of a crash is the same as selling your soul to the devil and being a close minded person doesn't seem really polite in my opinion. 

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

I have serious concerns about privacy and the vehicle being hacked.  (I've been a Data Management IT consultant for 20+ years.)   While I understand some people may find the telemetric services appealing, I do not.  In part, it's just another revenue stream for the manufacturer.  I'm very disappointed that all the auto manufacturers are making this functionality mandatory on all vehicles without giving the consumer the ability to turn it off.  Personally, I'm at a point where I've given up on purchasing a new vehicle, and instead, I'm starting to look for an older vehicle to restore. 

And I've worked with confidential,  highly sensitive, personal information for well over 25 years, the last 14 or so of those in IT.

I'm utterly bemused by the tinfoil approach to new technology.

The vehicle monitoring does not normally relate to the driver present, and would in no way breach GDPR

I can only see those having an issue with this, having a rather questionable reason for needing it removed.

Vehicle monitoring and safety improvements in this area, are equivalent to the introduction of the seatbelt. 

And I'm sure that many at the 'sharp end' of vehicle mechanics, decried its introduction and constraints on freedom..

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Sure, everyone has it's correct argument, it increase safety, but I would not complain if I have opportunity to regulate what vendor may reach.
I see here some IT enthusiast. I believe, if car use LTE, transfers data, inside could be kind of linux/unix, data trasnfer is by using TCPIP => transfer is bidirectional.
They can receive, but also change something. Is such opened gate still safe for kind audience ?

On 5/26/2020 at 1:23 PM, androids said:

If you decide to give your life to the devil, do so in good faith. Please let others who have a different opinion choose.

No-one is going to bother tracking you or checking where you've been. None of us are that important in the grand scheme of things and no-one in authority gives a damn about us as individuals. As others have posted you can already be tracked using existing means such as credit cards, mobile phones and internet connections.

I would imagine that if you do manage to disable this functionality it will void your warranty and that could end up costing you a lot of money.

But whatever you do to hide you can rest assured that if the government want to pick you up they'll just smash your front door down at 3am. They don't need to track you to know where you are if they want you 😉

• 2 years later...

I have serious sensitivities to new cellphones which cause migraines and food poisoning type sensations. I just bought the new 2023 toyota tundra drove it for 4 hours and started to feel very ill. I called Toyota Canada and the On star service to get any information I could. They ended up telling me that the only system that is anywhere silimar to a reception/transmitter in the new tundra is the DCM which constantly sends and accepts cellular data. I got it turned off and removed the fuse for it according to the fuse box schedule but I'm still feeling ill only when driving it. I'm taking it in after the long weekend and the Service Manager (who had a hard time believing me at first but ended up realizing that I'm dead serious after learning about how I'm actually looking to return the vehicle over the issues the vehicle is causing me). I told him that I've already spoken to the dealership where I purchased the vehicle, Toyota Canada, Toyota Brand Management and an On Star representative who was able to, apparently, disable data transmission from my DCM. The service team was booked steady for another month but the service manager made a spot available to me for the next business day since it's a health concern. I'm hoping that he can remove the DCM completely as well as pull any fuse that isn't required to start and run the vehicle so that I can start to pinpoint what is making me feel this way while operating the vehicle.

I highly doubt anyone has had a similar experience but if anyone has heard of anything or can think of anything else in the vehicle emitting electromagnetic frequencies or cellphone signals I'd be forever grateful as I love every other aspect of driving this truck. 

Also, if anyone knows where the DCM is physically located in the 2023 Tundra that may be a help to me incase the dealership rejects my request to have it removed, as I've been hearing is a possibility from others in this thread.

Chris

Edited by ChrisChrisChris
grammatical errors

13 hours ago, ChrisChrisChris said:

I have serious sensitivities to new cellphones which cause migraines and food poisoning type sensations. I just bought the new 2023 toyota tundra drove it for 4 hours and started to feel very ill. I called Toyota Canada and the On star service to get any information I could. They ended up telling me that the only system that is anywhere silimar to a reception/transmitter in the new tundra is the DCM which constantly sends and accepts cellular data. I got it turned off and removed the fuse for it according to the fuse box schedule but I'm still feeling ill only when driving it. I'm taking it in after the long weekend and the Service Manager (who had a hard time believing me at first but ended up realizing that I'm dead serious after learning about how I'm actually looking to return the vehicle over the issues the vehicle is causing me). I told him that I've already spoken to the dealership where I purchased the vehicle, Toyota Canada, Toyota Brand Management and an On Star representative who was able to, apparently, disable data transmission from my DCM. The service team was booked steady for another month but the service manager made a spot available to me for the next business day since it's a health concern. I'm hoping that he can remove the DCM completely as well as pull any fuse that isn't required to start and run the vehicle so that I can start to pinpoint what is making me feel this way while operating the vehicle.

I highly doubt anyone has had a similar experience but if anyone has heard of anything or can think of anything else in the vehicle emitting electromagnetic frequencies or cellphone signals I'd be forever grateful as I love every other aspect of driving this truck. 

Also, if anyone knows where the DCM is physically located in the 2023 Tundra that may be a help to me incase the dealership rejects my request to have it removed, as I've been hearing is a possibility from others in this thread.

Chris

Not wishing to move aways from @androids topic, but wonder if you are missing the obvious with your new vehicle ?

Changing car means you are in a totally different environment, even if its a similar model to before.

Things like Seat height, position, support  ;   different tyres and suspension  ; the different angle of the windscreen glass ;  even the air flow system  etc etc.

All these can have a profound effect on your body and senses  which in turn can lead to headaches, travel sickness feelings and backache etc.

Try changing your seat position and having your eyes tested; also air the car so any residual fumes from all the new plastics etc are dispersed.

• Like 3

@androids   Like what others have mentioned, so many other services are monitoring much more detail than Toyota,  your smart tv and devices like Alexa can record just about anything you do or say, let alone your mobile phone which is like having a chip implant !

We would be more concerned about stopping all those other services tracking and recording you before bothering with Toyotas system which could be a life saver.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ChrisChrisChris said:

if anyone knows where the DCM is physically located in the 2023 Tundra

Toyota Owners Club is UK based, with the vast majority of members in the UK and Europe. 

The Tundra has never been officially sold in the UK or Europe, so members almost certainly won't be familiar with this vehicle or where the DCM is located

• Like 1

You don't have to remove it, I doubt the dealer will know what to do, but you can unplug it and bypass it, I suggest you find a medical professional for your condition as it may have an underling issue

• Like 1

11 hours ago, flash22 said:

You don't have to remove it, I doubt the dealer will know what to do, but you can unplug it and bypass it, I suggest you find a medical professional for your condition as it may have an underling issue

The dealership told me that the DCM sends and receives cellular signals even when unplugged...my question was does anyone know where it is so it can be removed. Thanks

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChrisChrisChris said:

The dealership told me that the DCM sends and receives cellular signals even when unplugged..

Thats because it will have its own power supply/battery so in the event of a crash, if the cars main Battery is disconnected /damaged it can still send out a signal.

Expect its Battery will run down in a few days, though not before sending out some distress calls ?

As mentioned, we do not have anything like your Tundra here in the uk, so doubt anyone will know where the DCM is located, have you tried the US Toyota forums ?

• Like 2