Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2020 Prius Excel

diverdave

I decided when I wanted to upgrade against the Hyundai Ioniq and stuck with Toyota and bought a 2020 Prius Excel with 15" wheels. Quite a difference in ride quality, much smoother and quieter. But I don't think that the Touch and Go does everything that the one in my 2016 Excel did. I'm sure that I used to be able to adjust the contrast and brightness on the reversing camera, can't find how to do it on the new one, also I don't get the woman telling me the speed limit if I am going to fast. Is there a menu to make these changes somewhere, I have tried for two days to find it with no luck and no mention of it in the handbook.

Can someone tell me where I can find out where to do this or am I wasting my time because the new unit no longer has the facility to do this. I would be grateful for any help.  Apart from that loving the new car.

I don't have the 2020 version, but I do have a UK 2017 Excel with Touch 2 Go.

On mine you can find the verbal overspeed warning by pressing the blue illuminated Setup button to the right of the touchscreen, then on the touchscreen select Map, then Speed limits, then tick Audible warning if limit exceeded by:, then choose a speed margin.

For the camera contrast and brightness, press the blue illuminated Setup button again, then on the touchscreen press Display, then Camera, and adjust the brightness and contrast sliders. By wary when adjusting these though, what can make it look better in the daytime can make it look much worse at night, and vice versa.

Hi Professor, thanks for your reply, but the new model no longer has the blue illuminated buttons, it now has physical buttons and a different menu structure, maybe that why I can't find what I am looking for, I can't imagine that they would downgrade a newer system to have less functionality.

Over speed warning is handled by the RSA (Road sign assist) settings, these are in the MFD ( multifunction display ) see page 727 then 732 of Full manual attached 

Contrasts can be adjusted for general screens and camera see page 34 of full navigation manual attached.

I made a best guess on manuals, the correct full manuals are available HERE

OM47D46E.pdf OM47D56E.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks for that Lee, but the manual that I got with mine only goes up to page 237 so must be a different one, also I never got a navigation manual with mine, should I have got one with the 2020 model ? I never got one with my 2016 Prius either.

If they are no supplied any more just online, can I buy one from Toyota ?

Thanks again Lee, I managed to find everything that I wanted, not too difficult when you know where you are looking and familiarize yourself with things. Only thing missing is the woman shouting at me if I go to fast, it is now just a beep and the flashing speed limit sign.

1 hour ago, diverdave said:

...   Only thing missing is the woman shouting at me if I go to fast   ...

Can't tell if you think this is a good thing or not.  For me I would prefer the beep and the flashing speed limit sign.  LOL. 😝  🤓  :msn-wink:

8 hours ago, diverdave said:

Thanks for that Lee, but the manual that I got with mine only goes up to page 237 so must be a different one, also I never got a navigation manual with mine, should I have got one with the 2020 model ? I never got one with my 2016 Prius either.

If they are no supplied any more just online, can I buy one from Toyota ?

New cars are now only supplied with brief guides and full manuals are now downloadable from the link above. You may also want to register and download the MyT App as that has lots of useful stuff as well as registering your multimedia unit to get the latest Map updates. 

Is the speeding alert accurate? I'm wondering where it gets the data from as the speedometer on my Auris is reading very fast. True 70mph from a separate GPS with the cruise set on a flat and level road reads as 76mph. Previous car was a 2005 Skoda, that was accurate to within 3mph.

15 hours ago, MagicBoy said:

Is the speeding alert accurate? I'm wondering where it gets the data from as the speedometer on my Auris is reading very fast. True 70mph from a separate GPS with the cruise set on a flat and level road reads as 76mph.

That is pretty standard with all cars. The speedo is always higher than the actual speed.  Before GPS it wasn't so obvious.

• Like 3

On 5/30/2020 at 1:58 PM, MagicBoy said:

Is the speeding alert accurate? I'm wondering where it gets the data from as the speedometer on my Auris is reading very fast. True 70mph from a separate GPS with the cruise set on a flat and level road reads as 76mph. Previous car was a 2005 Skoda, that was accurate to within 3mph.

There are two versions of overspeed warning. There's a beep if you go faster than the speed limit that the Road Sign Assist camera last saw, and there's a verbal warning from the Sat Nav if you go faster than the speed limit the Sat Nav map has for that road.

Both get the vehicle speed from the same data as the speedometer, which, as standard in nearly every car, reads around 10% fast. I'm not sure about the RSA beep, but the Sat Nav overspeed warning has various margins you can select, for example 5mph over the limit is the compromise I use.

(At least that's the case on my 2017 Gen 4)

It's all moot anyway. The best way to not speed is pay attention to the speed limit signs yourself, then set the speed limiting cruise control to around 10% over the limit. The RSA reads the wrong signs (e.g. maximum speed stickers on the backs of speed-limited vehicles like vans and HGVs, and road signs for roads you might turn off onto but don't), and the Sat Nav data is always at least a year out of date, and speed limits can change, and it doesn't work at all on new roads it doesn't know about.

I'm not advocating for speeding, however it irks me that the speedo is so inaccurate. Toyota must have their reasons for that design decision. I realise that legally they can't under-read, but setting it to the upper end of the 10% tolerance seems counter-intuitive when other manufacturers are 2-3mph.

I suppose when I start driving places again I should have a play with the limiter. My Auris has both RSA and Nav but the previous owner turned both alerts off and I've not turned it back on. Yet.

On 6/1/2020 at 1:02 AM, MagicBoy said:

I realise that legally they can't under-read, but setting it to the upper end of the 10% tolerance seems counter-intuitive when other manufacturers are 2-3mph.

Most manufacturers aim for the middle (5% over).  Toyota do seem to vary. My plug in prius mk1 is 10% over.  My old gen3 prius was 7% over. My wife's yaris is 5%.  YMMV

On 5/30/2020 at 1:50 PM, Devon Aygo said:

New cars are now only supplied with brief guides and full manuals are now downloadable from the link above. You may also want to register and download the MyT App as that has lots of useful stuff as well as registering your multimedia unit to get the latest Map updates. 

Hi Alan,

Thanks for that advice, I have searched for the MyT app with my desktop (Windows 10 ) but I cant find it, could you tell me where I need to look please, and how do I register my multimedia unit. Thanks in advance. Update, managed to get MyT on my mobile, but when it comes to choosing a multimedia unit the one in the 2020 model with the physical buttons isn't on there, would it be ok to choose the one with the illuminated touch screen buttons as in the previous model ? I have tried registering my multimedia device to MyT to no avail, it is very complicated and I keep getting an error message, after an hour trying gave up.

What is needed is an idiots guide to doing it for idiots like me, why do they make it sooooo difficult.☹️

• 9 months later...
On 5/29/2020 at 1:13 PM, diverdave said:

I decided when I wanted to upgrade against the Hyundai Ioniq and stuck with Toyota and bought a 2020 Prius Excel with 15" wheels. Quite a difference in ride quality, much smoother and quieter. But I don't think that the Touch and Go does everything that the one in my 2016 Excel did. I'm sure that I used to be able to adjust the contrast and brightness on the reversing camera, can't find how to do it on the new one, also I don't get the woman telling me the speed limit if I am going to fast. Is there a menu to make these changes somewhere, I have tried for two days to find it with no luck and no mention of it in the handbook.

Can someone tell me where I can find out where to do this or am I wasting my time because the new unit no longer has the facility to do this. I would be grateful for any help.  Apart from that loving the new car.

Agreed. The 2019+ D Facelift is actually an improvement over the 2016 model. Seems to be more punchy in sports mode and at least 5mpg improved in all modes.  We went model b 2005—> model b face lift 2007 —> model d 2016 —> model facelift 2019. By far this is the best of the bunch. I was never keen on the touch sensitive panel on the 2016. Switching the location of the buttons makes more sense for uk drivers and puts the most used buttons on the “correct” side for right hand drive The reversing constant beep in 2016 was annoying.