Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris 1.6 VVTI Petrol Grinding Noise coming from Head on Cold Start

ussy7861

Hi,

The issue started 1 week ago when the car was started on cold and a loud grinding noise occured.

I have had the Timing Belt, Alternator and tentioners checked out but the noise is not coming from there.

It sounds like it is coming from the Camshafts.

Please see videos below for the sound.

Sounds like failing bearings on one of the pulleys, or the water pump/water pump bearings.

Replaced the water pump and now its gone but the car misfires like hell even before replacing the pump.

No codes, Plugs have been replaced but cannot figure out why it misfires but there is high oil consumption.

So it was water pump bearings then? Sounded dry, like the water got into them and washed out the lubricants. 

How high is the oil consumption? How much oil do you top up betwen regular oil/filter service? Does the car smoke? Have the spark plugs been checked, what was the color, are they grease, is there oil on their threads?

When did the misfire start, on which cylinder(s) is it, if only on 1, did you try switching coils?

14 hours ago, furtula said:

So it was water pump bearings then? Sounded dry, like the water got into them and washed out the lubricants. 

How high is the oil consumption? How much oil do you top up betwen regular oil/filter service? Does the car smoke? Have the spark plugs been checked, what was the color, are they grease, is there oil on their threads?

When did the misfire start, on which cylinder(s) is it, if only on 1, did you try switching coils?

I just seen this post and knew straight away, it was the water  pump bearings. Hear is a video with similar problem - 

My Avensis with the 2ZR 1.8 Valvematic water pump was getting noisy, but not at the level heard in the videos. To confirm the pump bearings, I removed the belt and spun the pump pulley by hand. There was noise and slight roughness. Here is my post of me changing the water pump a couple days back -  

It seems that early all the Toyota ZR engines share the same pump, so there are plenty of choice. Changing the pump is a spanner job though access can be tricky for some bolts.
My post covers what I did. 

I wonder if the mechanic changing the pump disconnected the Battery, because he was working near the alternator? When I replaced my water pump, the alternator adjuster had to be slackened, but the alternator was not removed nor Battery disconnected. There is no need! 
If the Battery is disconnected for a long period, the ECU will forget the settings, so needs to relearn. A trick I had to do when I replaced my battery the previous week, is turn the key to ignition on with the brake pedal pressed for a few minutes. This will fix the idle problem. The engine needs to be warmed up to do this, so drive the car at all possible engine speeds and loads, like going up hill, high speed driving, and revs to at least 4000 rpm. Drive the car normally for at least 30 minutes. Then do the idle fix I mentioned earlier.

If none of the above works then visually check for any bad connections around the engine. Make sure any earth cables are connected securely.

Hopefully the engine will get back to normal.

So the misfire started after the car had been sitting for 4 months due to an accident. I did a service and after the service the car started misfiring.

I have replaced the spark plugs twice now and I have just serviced the car replacing plugs, filters and oil.

when replacing the oil it is thinner than usual and i use 5w 30.

In terms of oil consumption it goes between min and max after 3000 miles and it just stays there.

If the weather is cold outside there is a lot of white smoke even when the engine has heated up but i think the car has a known problem of high oil consumption due to the piston rings.

A mechanic has offered to fix the misfiring issue for £50 but will take half a day but he has not mentioned where the fault is as he has fixed another Auris with the same issues before.

The previous spark plugs that i used were burnt out and only had been but it a couple of months back and they were OEM DENSO plugs from Toyota.

If you need more information then please let me know.

High oil consumption is mostly on the 1.4/1.33 engines, not on the 1.6,.

Between min/max should be 1.25 liters, so around 2.5L per 6k miles, don't know your car mileage, but that's not so tbad at all.

I top up mine with around 1L per 6K miles, and i consider this normal consumption, i use 5W30.

For 50 GBP, i'd gladly let him sort the issue out, than bother with it.

My mileage is only 69k

I may ask him to have a look at it and update you on what he did as I am intrigued as what would take half a day and not require me to replace any parts.

Check for leaky injector(s) or high pressure fuel pump.