Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery mode

KEVCO60

I have a 2019 hybrid automatic. I dont believe the Battery power mode is working correctly. Even when the Battery is over half charged and i dont have any electrics on apart from the radio , the engine is warm and i drive at less than 30 mph the engine will kick in , then 5 minutes or so later the Battery mode will kick back in.

Maybe this is correct , its just i thought i would get a lot longer run on battery mode.

Any thoughts , cheers.

Hi, i suspect that it is working correctly, it will stay in Battery mode based on a number of variables. eg, gentle acceleration, level ground, temperature, etc. Based on your signature location being cumbria, it might be functioning correctly based on hill roads.

hope that helps

You say the engine is war, that be true, but when the car runs on Hybrid Battery the engine starts to cool, so the computer senses this and at a preset temperature the engine will kick on again. Dont worry about it, thats the good thing about the Toyota hybrids, the computer does everything, so you can just relax. Your bit is to steer, brake..... and try to drive econommically when you can if you want to get the best economy.

For the reasons stated above it isn't a Battery power mode and its really just a way of biasing the in-built control to allow you to gently creep around in urban areas or situations where you want to be kind to pedestrians. The other factor is that with a relatively small traction Battery there is a strategy built in which gives optimal Battery life and hence the five to ten year battery guarantee ( depending on marketing territory etc.). The car will not allow the battery to operate outside the middle region of its capacity unless absolutely necessary. Has anyone ever seen all sectors alight or fewer than two bars alight on the battery monitor screen?

I have a Mk 4, claimed by the dealer as the last Mk4 delivered which I bought new and first registered in March 2019.

I find keeping an eye on the energy monitor one of the fascinations of driving a Rav4 Hybrid.  Responding to some of the comments and points in this thread I make the following comments.

There are times I expect to be in EV mode, but note it is not.  This is even though up to temperature, no heater, no a/c, level ground and around 30mph.  I assume the computer knows best.

At other times, after passing 5,000 miles use I find  on level ground the car stays in EV mode up to 45mph on level ground.  Cruise control helps to get this.  I do not restrict to this speed if it affects others behind me.  This makes me wonder, as the car "frees off" and the computer senses this it enables EV mode to continue at a higher speed.

The Battery usually shows two bars not alight, reducing to two alight after EV use.  I do regularly have only one bar not alight, but during a holiday in the Yorkshire Dales, down hill runs often showed the Battery full.

Will the fascination of a Hybrid car ever wear off?

5 hours ago, gavioliuk said:

.....Will the fascination of a Hybrid car ever wear off?

Yes, when you get a "pure" EV.  No fuel pumps, fuel filters, filling stations, exhaust pipes, catalysts, spark plugs, plug leads, etc, etc.....

Totally agree with Gavioliuk I use to have 2016 2wd and maximum in ev mode around 45mph. I also agree sometimes you expected to be in ev mode and wasn’t. I only ever saw the Battery full once but usually 2 bars not lit. Now got a Corolla Hybrid which I can sometimes get 65 Mpg in ev mode and stays in ev mode much longer

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links