Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Prospective first car for my daughter

AlexG888

Hi All,

I'm currently scoping out a first car for my daughter for when she is 17 next March (I like to do my homework 😁).

So far the combination of good NCAP rating, price, chain driven cam, Toyota build quality and fizzy little engines has brought me to the Mk1/Mk2 Yaris as a good prospect, in either 1.0 or 1.3 flavour and she wants a 5 door car.

So, the question is, what should I look out for on cars around this vintage (2003 to 2008) that is Yaris specific? Obviously I'd be looking for the usual things when buying a car such as good servicing, corrosion, accident damage etc.... but is there anything Yaris specific that might not be immediately obvious?

I'm not a total newb to cars but any help you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Alex

I think these are very good little cars. We bought our 04 T Spirit 1.3 from a Scottish Owner (bad move as more salt on roads in Scotland) and the underside was very rusty and the first MOT essentially said the rust was almost terminal and not to spend much money on the car. However after several days under with a finger grinder and wire brush plus lots of underseal all was good and no terminal rot. So I would have a good look underneith particularly where the sills meet the rear wheel arch.

Our car also needed new springs all round at only 45k miles plus new rear shockers so something to look at.

A full service record would be a bonus. The MMT auto boxes do not have a good reputation however some of the autos are conventional auto torque converters and the 4 autos (conventional) we have had have all been fine. I also suspect that as a driv train an auto is more reliable than a manual clutch.gearbox combination. MPG is not brilliant as our 1.3 at 35, but that is all town/urban use. Good luck with your search, it can be wearing!

• Like 1

Buy a Yaris...you are highly unlikely to be disappointed..they are great litttle cars..and just keep going usually with the minimum of fuss and expense.

• Like 1

Last year a colleague jokingly offered me his wife’s Yaris. As my daughter was getting close to her test and actively looking for something to buy (she had looked at an Aygo and rejected it as “too flimsy”), I asked for more details. It was a 53 plate 1 litre 3 door and they were looking for £900. I took my daughter to see it; I drove it and she liked it. She got the car for £850. She has sunroof, air con, electric windows, electric mirrors, and central locking: all things I don’t have on mine. The car sailed through its MOT. I changed the radio for her and adjusted the handbrake and that’s all I’ve had to do to it.

• Like 1

Aygo is good for local driving, any distance driving probably isn't good, unless at least go wider on the tyres. 

Yaris is very good, I would opt for the 1.3 as the 1.0 can be underpower. Look for the top spec t spirit trim if possible. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses and things to look out for, all good stuff. 👍

Alex

I drive cars with automatic transmission since more than 25 years by now, but nevertheless, I would like to suggest to get your daughter a car with manual transmission. I think it will take her half a year to learn to shift without having to think about it, and then it is like riding a bicycle: Once you have learned it you will never forget it.

As soon as she knows how to drive a manual car, it is up to her to choose what she wants.

Best regards from Bavaria
Frank

• Like 1

Mk 1Yaris the best car I have ever had m My daughter had mine when she passed her test and loved it

• Like 1

Our Mark 1 has been loved and cared for in its 15 years of our ownership of it.

Nevertheless I would NOT recommend one to anyone who knows nothing of cars.

They rust - around the rear and the petrol pipes from filler cap to tank. Extreme cases could cost £500+ to repair.

Old cars are subject to abuse and lack of maintenance.

Unless you know what you are doing - or have expert and knowledgeable advice.. - I would not recommend a 15 year old car to anyone - even a Yaris.

And if you have that knowledge, you might not be asking for advice.

Things that thave failed in the past 5 years on ours:

Battery - wear and tear.£50

Glow plugs (Diesel) £50

Drivers side window winder mechanism jammed. Dismantle and repair job. Pop rivets and mild steel only.

Heater motor resistor . Dismantle and replace with s/hand £10

Broken rear coil spring (rust) £40.

Replace anti freeze (should be pink. Every five years after first 10 years.. £40.

All DIY so no labour costs.. Add £at least £100 each.

Note all brake lines are plastic covered from new but ends are not- these are waxoiled regularly.

Exhaust repainted  every 4-5 years.

(A New exhaust  is £100+ they rust at bends over rear suspension  behind drivers wheelarch.., new catalysts are more)

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 12:05 PM, AlexG888 said:

Hi All,

I'm currently scoping out a first car for my daughter for when she is 17 next March (I like to do my homework 😁).

So far the combination of good NCAP rating, price, chain driven cam, Toyota build quality and fizzy little engines has brought me to the Mk1/Mk2 Yaris as a good prospect, in either 1.0 or 1.3 flavour and she wants a 5 door car.

So, the question is, what should I look out for on cars around this vintage (2003 to 2008) that is Yaris specific? Obviously I'd be looking for the usual things when buying a car such as good servicing, corrosion, accident damage etc.... but is there anything Yaris specific that might not be immediately obvious?

I'm not a total newb to cars but any help you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Alex

Of all the small cars on the market the Yaris is about the best with Suzuki running a close second. You seem to have some experience on the pitfalls of buying a used car, so no matter what model you choose the things to look out for are basically the same. My recommendation is a Toyota Yaris 1ltr, one owner if possible, with full Toyota service history, and below average mileage. It may take a lot of searching over an extended period, but you can’t go far wrong with the above advice. Happy hunting Alex👍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Madasafish said:

Our Mark 1 has been loved and cared for in its 15 years of our ownership of it.

Nevertheless I would NOT recommend one to anyone who knows nothing of cars.

They rust - around the rear and the petrol pipes from filler cap to tank. Extreme cases could cost £500+ to repair.

Old cars are subject to abuse and lack of maintenance.

Unless you know what you are doing - or have expert and knowledgeable advice.. - I would not recommend a 15 year old car to anyone - even a Yaris.

And if you have that knowledge, you might not be asking for advice.

Things that thave failed in the past 5 years on ours:

battery - wear and tear.£50

Glow plugs (Diesel) £50

Drivers side window winder mechanism jammed. Dismantle and repair job. Pop rivets and mild steel only.

Heater motor resistor . Dismantle and replace with s/hand £10

Broken rear coil spring (rust) £40.

Replace anti freeze (should be pink. Every five years after first 10 years.. £40.

All DIY so no labour costs.. Add £at least £100 each.

Note all brake lines are plastic covered from new but ends are not- these are waxoiled regularly.

Exhaust repainted  every 4-5 years.

(A New exhaust  is £100+ they rust at bends over rear suspension  behind drivers wheelarch.., new catalysts are more)

I'm not a total newb to cars and I appreciate all the input from everyone, it's very helpful in sorting out what I think would be the best option.

This is my daily

tapatalk-1548104679722.jpg

This is Money put number 1

RX7-Side-cropped.jpg

Money pit number 2

IMG-20180722-175607.jpg

Money pit number 3

IMG-20190227-143613.jpg

Cheers

Alex

• Like 2

You got a lot of expensive money pits there Alex, so choosing a little starter car for your 17yr old daughter should be a piece of cake 😄👍

• Like 1

Based on your toys - envy- you should buy her a new Yaris  🤑

Sorry only joking..

But my comments were serious: they do deteriorate with age and with lots of cars to look after, you will find lots of jobs on a Yaris a PIA..  But if you can find a good one - and you obviously have the experience of money pits  to guide you .......

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Madasafish said:

Based on your toys - envy- you should buy her a new Yaris  🤑

Yes, she also has the same view on this 😁

I want her to learn how to look after a car properly, oil checks, tyres, fluids, change wheels etc. before she is exposed to the new way of 'buy a new part or take to dealer'.  Statistically she'll probably scrape or bump the car in the first year as well so it's less of an expensive issue on an older car.

The NCAP for the Mk2 is quite impressive for a little car.

yaris-NCAP.jpg

I think with a >10 year old Yaris it seems you get a decent level of passive and active safety systems to keep her safe whilst she learns how to drive with all the other sharks on the road (after passing her test).

Cheers

Alex

• Like 1

I bought the wife her 2nd Yaris after years of driving Polo's and she loved them, I found her a 2011  1.3 petrol with sat-nav in and only £30 road tax 65k miles in metallic blue, I let the garage service it, (oil change only) every 10k to get book stamped, I do the rest, and I do an oil change in between, good quality oil used so should never have to worry about the cam chain, so the oil gets changed every 5k miles. You might think it's a bit excessive but we only do 5k a year so the oil gets changed every year but the book gets stamped every 2yrs if you get what I mean, the first Yaris I bought her was from near the coast, the garage I take my cars to said he'd never seen a car as rusty underneath, this Yaris I bought was from inland and no salt water, just ask the garage your buying from, where the car was registered.

• Like 1