Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacement water pump Avensis 1.8 Valvematic

Konrad C

Today I changed the water pump on my '58 (2009) Avensis, after noticing the noise. I ordered a Meyle pump online from a seller who sold other brands. The kit also had the gasket and three longer bolts due to the thicker mounting points. Beware of kits that may not have the longer bolts!
P1180613.thumb.JPG.45ee1787db1ad067b053fe7ca95ff3a1.JPG P1180615.thumb.JPG.c4f780de00de9a5cfed2a2312f9a810d.JPG 

After draining the coolant I removed the belt and started undoing the bolts to the water pump. I had only removed the engine and Battery cover, but no other panel. I could have removed the panel by the wheel arch, to get to the lower bolt to the panel. That bolt was fiddly to remove and replace. 

The pumps look different as the photos show, but fit perfectly. The difference in thickness of the bolts, plus longer bolts to compensate.

20200602_140111.jpg 20200602_143333.jpg 20200602_143303.thumb.jpg.c8423a86c1bfb1ffde0edceb07affb31.jpg

I fitted a new belt and noticed it was shorter on the adjustment.  12 mm was used on all bolts except the for the lower alternator support bolt, which is 14 mm.  

P1180624.JPG 20200602_160412.thumb.jpg.c2cf7d1bbf8b9a6326a52fa09e424735.jpg

I used genuine Toyota long life coolant mixed with de-ionised water. I didn't want to use tap water, and it's cheaper than pre-mixed coolant. Will check coolant level tomorrow.

P1180625.JPG

The old pump bearing is rough and noisy, when spun by hand. Caught in good time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi, Nice manual. How much coolant did it take to refill the system?

10 hours ago, Robert81 said:

Hi, Nice manual. How much coolant did it take to refill the system?

I replaced between 4 to 5 litres, because I don't think all the coolant drained out. The manual states the coolant capacity as 6.2 litres. What drained out was clean, so I was happy to make the choice of Toyota long life coolant mixed with de-ionised water. Here is a photo I couldn't upload previously just after removing the water pump.

20200608_085317.thumb.jpg.cdfda02ba7edde0172003dc682fb5a4a.jpg  

I could have got away with using 5 litres of Toyota premixed coolant, but I would have had to pay nearly double, plus it may not have been enough.  

• Thanks 2

What mileage is your Avensis at now Konrad? My 2009 Auris 1.6 Valvematic needed a new waterpump at only 55k, which I was quite disappointed about.

9 hours ago, yossarian247 said:

What mileage is your Avensis at now Konrad? My 2009 Auris 1.6 Valvematic needed a new waterpump at only 55k, which I was quite disappointed about.

Over 91,000 miles, so nearly double the mileage. It is disappointing for you, but at least it's not a major job for the petrol engine. The Auris 1.6 is exactly the same. I think the diesel engine is more involved and needs the engine mount to be removed! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Over 91,000 miles, so nearly double the mileage. It is disappointing for you, but at least it's not a major job for the petrol engine. The Auris 1.6 is exactly the same. I think the diesel engine is more involved and needs the engine mount to be removed! 

Yes at least there's not a cambelt to remove either. Plus on some cars where the water pump is driven by a cambelt they recommend changing the pump at either every belt change, or every other one, so perhaps even 55k is not too bad. 

• Like 1

I still have the old water pump, and now it has seized! I think it's due to the lack of lubrication from the coolant. When I took the pump off, it  spun freely but roughly. 

This confirm that the pump has worn and I caught it before and serious play or even leak happened. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Konrad C said:

I still have the old water pump, and now it has seized! I think it's due to the lack of lubrication from the coolant. When I took the pump off, it  spun freely but roughly. 

This confirm that the pump has worn and I caught it before and serious play or even leak happened. 

Great post, and great pictures Konrad👏👏

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Its a myth that water pumps require lubrication from the coolant (even though coolant additive manufacturers claim lubricating properties!).  Water pumps use a sealed lubricated spindle bearing. Failure usually occurs when the bearing seal fails and coolant comes into contact with the bearing. Another reason is overloading of the bearing by excessive drive belt tension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links