Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering rattle

flyphil

Hello I am new to ownership. I picked up my 2006 Corolla yesterday.

One thing I have noticed is I get a slight rattle from steering when I go over a bump in road. Could this be steering bushes? Passed its MOT last December. In fact has passed all MOT's since new.  

Further research. I just discovered previous owner reported same problem to Toyota main dealer and they suspected "Intermediate Shaft" knock and recommended a strip down to investigate. Anyone else come across this type of problem? Advice would be welcome. 

Edited by flyphil
Further information

Hi,

It could be several things, when I had such a problem the mot guy said the antiroll bar bushes were a common cause , though easy enough to change.

What I found was after fitting new pads was they would rattle as I went over a bump at lower speeds.

To prove this point, where you go over a bump and you get the rattle, go over the same bump, but this time gently put some light pressure on the brakes and see if it still rattles ?

If not then check the pads/ discs /anti rattle shims and if any copper grease has been used, only cured mine by using CeraTec instead of copper grease.

PS  now remember it was you expecting a 2005 model last month, assume that did not happen and this is  from elsewhere, a blind buy again ?  seems mostlyl ok  ?

Thanks oldcodger.

I don't think its the brake pads. Its something in the steering/ or perhaps suspension. Just very annoying. For earlier models there was a recall due to shaft splines not having been hardened properly, and giving this knocking noise. It was fixed foc. by Toyota. I rang them and they said there was nothing outstanding on recalls.

Yes I was buying a 2005 model but the dealer kept messing me about on fixing a failed MOT. Glad I did really because this one has had only one previous and maintained by a main dealer. Its passed every single MOT. Just needs a couple of tyres on the front. In December I will replace all the disks and pads. The disks have a large lip and dont cost much.

The only annoying thing is the rattle/knock when going over a bump.

Hi,

Well easy enough to give the brakes that simple bump test I mentioned.

Have frequented the forum for many years, the last ten in the Corolla section but can say I have never heard  of any problem or any recall for the steering rack ?

Frostyballs, the moderator, might see this and be able to comment  if what you have been told is true  or applied to such a late 2006 model ?

From a slight problem I had on my old Avensis , the mot guy detected a bit of play in its steering rack, so if yours is causing a rattle then surely it should be easy enough for any mechanic to do a sinple physical play/movement test on it, like the mot, to see if thats where the probllem is ..?

Could add about other things that could cause a rattle, but there are so many possibilities....  on step at a time...

There was a minor recall on the steering rack on certain models of the Corolla (July 2001 to March 2009), Avensis and Prius announced in 2012, though it didn't affect all models. See https://blog.toyota.co.uk/recall-announced-for-toyota-avensis-toyota-corolla-and-toyota-prius

You can use Toyota's recall checker (link for the recall checker in the Toyota UK blog topic linked to above) to check whether your car has the recall outstanding. 

Bear in mind that no customer documentation is issued where recall work is carried out, as the audit trail will be the manufacturer's not the customer's. So if the car was one of those affected and had the recall done, there won't be any customer documentation for the recall work.

• Like 1

Thanks Frosty and Oldcodger.

I tried the brake test and it made no difference. But I remember now I had a similar problem on an Opel Ascona and it was the pads rattling.

I have had further thoughts and think it may be the roll bar bushes. I had a similar problem on a Honda Accord, so will get them changed. Cheap to do.

Thanks for all your help! 

I have just had a look at the front end. The drop links look a bit weary (not surprising its 14 years old) , so I think I might replace the drop links and roll bar bushes to see if this makes a difference. The parts don't cost much on eBay and its not a difficult job.

Hi,

Much better if you can test and identify the fault first , either by driving or a physical inspection.

It could just be some part catching on another like the exhaust heat shields against the bodywork or engine.

Assuming you have some strength ( unlike us oldies) its quiet easy to jack the car up and grab a wheel to feel for any play and carefully testing most of the supension joints with a pry bar things become rather obvious once you have tried it.

Same with the steering rack, once jacked up, and holding a wheel at 3 and 9 you can soon feel /hear any loose joint by moving the wheel in and out,

Always a chance you can introduce other similar problems when you just change parts without knowing they are faulty.

The ARB bushes can be changed by just jacking up and supporting the car and accessing the front and rear bolts from underneath, tight but doable, though spray pentrating oil on thw nuts first or the night before.   

Just writing this when your last reply came in, yes the drop links could be worn,  alos easy enough, though you need an allen key to fit.

• 2 weeks later...

I shall probably wait until December when MOT due. I thing ARB bushes and drop links would be a fail if its them. 

Its odd because it doesn't do it all the time, just now and then.